Started by illdecide, October 14, 2022, 09:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: grounded on October 14, 2022, 07:48:29 PM
Quote from: whitey on October 14, 2022, 05:38:40 PM
Remember when we were kids

Eena, Meena, Mina Mo........, catch a Nā€”ā€”-R by the toe

I'm guessing anyone over 50 years said this a thousand times

Did anyone have a Golliwog? My brother had one that a cousin brought home from England

Times change......things that were commonplace and perfectly normal decades are no longer acceptable

I think shouting and singing "Up the Ra" in todays environment is completely unacceptable.

Everyone on here was outraged (and rightly so) when those bandsmen were recorded singing about a poor girl who got murdered on her honeymoon.

Now that the shoe is on the other foot, it's only a bit o craic

Golliwog, Christ i'd almost forgotten about those. They were on Robertson's jam (i think?)
     I think your right about times changing. Although i think a lot of it is faux outrage. On another note why was anyone videoing anything in a changing room, thats liable to cause trouble at the best od times.

You used to be able to collect golliwogs from the label and get something.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

HiMucker

Quote from: balladmaker on October 14, 2022, 07:31:17 PM
If someone doesn't like a song, then don't listen to it.  But don't try to stop other people from listening to it or singing it if they so wish.  Each to their own.  As for the FAI apology, I considered it unnecessary.  As for the Sky Sports pundit, he can &*^* away off and get himself educated on colonialism and its impact across the globe.  Shame on the FAI for putting the young lady through an interview like that.

It is great to see Irish songs permeating through the Irish Top 100 since Wednesday, as well as sitting at No. 2 in UK iTunes ... RTE should take note.
Let the people sing their stories and their songs  ;)

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: HiMucker on October 15, 2022, 12:15:14 AM
If someone doesn't like a song, then don't listen to it.  But don't try to stop other people from listening to it or singing it if they so wish.  Each to their own.  As for the FAI apology, I considered it unnecessary.  As for the Sky Sports pundit, he can &*^* away off and get himself educated on colonialism and its impact across the globe.  Shame on the FAI for putting the young lady through an interview like that.

It is great to see Irish songs permeating through the Irish Top 100 since Wednesday, as well as sitting at No. 2 in UK iTunes ... RTE should take note.

Defs not many ra men in Steelstown. Absolute fact.

HiMucker

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 15, 2022, 12:21:04 AM

Lol. And what, is that something to be ashamed of or what?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: HiMucker on October 15, 2022, 01:19:37 AM

Not at all .

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on October 15, 2022, 07:21:05 AM

Fear, you are coming across like the only Ra man in the village, and it isn't a good look.
It is a song. Whether you like it or not, it is popular, especially among young people.
The lyrics say that on some wall there is graffiti which says Ooh Aah up the ra. They also include "I am a sailor man from Glasgow town".
I don't think people singing the song are really suggesting that 1. They are in the ra or 2. That they are big into boats.

So it's fine, we get it, you liked the Ra first.
It's a song. Calm your jets.

Was i not a stoop last month? Lol i did get a chuckle at " you liked the ra first" bit to be fair.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on October 15, 2022, 08:05:03 AM
I wouldn't say you are a stoop. I'd have you more like Dixie Elliot. Angry & bitter but probably with good reason.

Though, when you start cracking up at some kids singing Celtic Symphony because "they weren't there" - you've lost the run of yourself.

I think cracking up stretching it tbh.
I just think it's silly, of course it was innocent on their part and of course it should be put to bed, but we should all be careful of our actions as it did offend.

It  looks fake and a lot  would have done everything to disassociate themselves back in the day so why risk it now? Employers scan social media accounts these days , be better to pay attention to that.

I wish them all best . Silly and young

quit yo jibbajabba

Wolfe Tones laughing all the way to the bank on this one 😃

HiMucker

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 15, 2022, 07:54:36 AM

Not at all .
I'm not sure what the point of your bizarre comment was lol. What's that got to do with the price of butter.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: HiMucker on October 15, 2022, 09:18:16 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 15, 2022, 07:54:36 AM

Not at all .
I'm not sure what the point of your bizarre comment was lol. What's that got to do with the price of butter.

If you are explaining your losing

quit yo jibbajabba

Armagh18

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on October 14, 2022, 06:10:11 PM
Quote from: whitey on October 14, 2022, 05:38:40 PM
Remember when we were kids

Eena, Meena, Mina Mo........, catch a Nā€”ā€”-R by the toe

I'm guessing anyone over 50 years said this a thousand times

Did anyone have a Golliwog? My brother had one that a cousin brought home from England

Times change......things that were commonplace and perfectly normal decades are no longer acceptable

I think shouting and singing "Up the Ra" in todays environment is completely unacceptable.

Everyone on here was outraged (and rightly so) when those bandsmen were recorded singing about a poor girl who got murdered on her honeymoon.

Now that the shoe is on the other foot, it's only a bit o craic
They weren't. They pretended to be.
It's the same with the current pile on and will be the same with the next one.
Nobody actually cares about any of this. It is entirely false.
I f**king was. And I was one of the thousands of Armagh and Tyrone gaels who clapped in solidarity with the Harte family the weekend after video came out. The 2 incidents are nothing alike. I know that. You know that. Carla Blackheart knows that.

Armagh18

Quote from: LeoMc on October 14, 2022, 07:07:52 PM
Quote from: Rudi on October 14, 2022, 07:02:56 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 14, 2022, 06:48:31 PM
People expect the Wolfe Tones to sing ooh ah up the ra.
They don't expect the ladies soccer team.

Daft comment, the ladies performed on the field. Afterwards celebrated in dressing room. Why somebody got their phone out to video the ladies & share online, knowing full well the consequences is the main issue. As someone else was saying people go out of their way to be offended.
One of the players apparently. If in that dressing room she was more concerned with sending videos to her mates than in celebrating with her team then it is an indication of where her priorities lay.
It's a generational thing. Videoing the celebrations and posting them on snapchat etc is completely alien to people of a certain age, while for younger people its just the norm. 

general_lee

United Ireland is now OFF.
A dozen or so people singing Celtic Symphony in Dublin Airport caught on video now means that reunification can't happen (according to Twitter anyway).
Meanwhile in Banbridge, Loyalist bands serenaded their supporters while chants of UVF rang out through the October air. I wonder which incident will get the media airtime.

Eire90