FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

Started by laoislad, April 01, 2022, 06:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kidder81

Read a couple of food columns today, by Mark Ogden & Miguel Delaney, went against the trend of the other journos (who are probably not being too critical so they can ghost write a book for the players)

Basically that it was there for England, they beat who they should have and first tough game they lost. Ogden I think made the point that Southgate again was too negative, Henderson & Rice ??? And that they still don't have a midfield playmaker that can control the game. Foden maybe fits the bill but he had him out on the wing

square_ball

Southgate has played the media perfectly in fairness to him. Bring them into the training camp for a few games of darts and a bit of 'bantz' with the players and any chance of a bit of criticism goes out the window.

nrico2006

Ireland could only dream of reaching the tournament never mind winning through to the quarter final. I remember the celebrations when Ireland got a point at the world cup, completely mad. Southgate has done a good job when you look at his results since he took charge.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Armagh18

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 11, 2022, 06:12:22 PM
Ireland could only dream of reaching the tournament never mind winning through to the quarter final. I remember the celebrations when Ireland got a point at the world cup, completely mad. Southgate has done a good job when you look at his results since he took charge.
No he hasn't. They beat the bad teams then shite the togs at the first sign of pressure. Best squad in the tournament on paper but closest thing to a good team he's beat was Germany who've proven since that they aren't all that anyway.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on December 11, 2022, 06:35:32 PM
No he hasn't. They beat the bad teams then shite the togs at the first sign of pressure. Best squad in the tournament on paper but closest thing to a good team he's beat was Germany who've proven since that they aren't all that anyway.

You can only play against the teams that you are drawn against.. they got to the Finals of the Euros and they qualify handy enough for these tournaments.

Brazil went out as did Belgium 1 and 2 in the world rankings, Spain duffed out too

They had a chance and fluffed their lines

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

They are a decent team now but they have more weaknesses than the best ones. Luke Shaw and Maguire probably not at this level. Bellingham a massive addition. Also they play Kane too deep. It has big advantages in some ways but ultimately leaves them with nothing through the middle when it comes to creating and that costs them.

I think Southgate has done a good job though shouldn't have taken Saka off.

Nanderson

Englands 'strongest' starting xi imo now would be
Ramsdale GK
James RB
Tomori CB
Stones CB
Shaw LB
Rice CDM
Bellingham CM
Mount CM
Saka RW
Rashford LW
Kane ST

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Nanderson on December 11, 2022, 07:09:40 PM
Englands 'strongest' starting xi imo now would be
Ramsdale GK
James RB
Tomori CB
Stones CB
Shaw LB
Rice CDM
Bellingham CM
Mount CM
Saka RW
Rashford LW
Kane ST

With Foden to come off the bench?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

No way Rashford in instead of Foden. I don't see how you could not start Walker either.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 11, 2022, 06:58:21 PM
They are a decent team now but they have more weaknesses than the best ones. Luke Shaw and Maguire probably not at this level. Bellingham a massive addition. Also they play Kane too deep. It has big advantages in some ways but ultimately leaves them with nothing through the middle when it comes to creating and that costs them.

I think Southgate has done a good job though shouldn't have taken Saka off.

England have the EPL in their favour. Probably the world's top league and a great proving ground for new talent.
It also means that there is a constant supply of new players.

Croatia will soon be in transition. Germany, Italy , Spain, Denmark  and Belgium already are.

England could win the next World Cup. They needed to get organised. 

Kidder81

You are comparing apples with oranges

Armagh18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 11, 2022, 06:43:27 PM

You can only play against the teams that you are drawn against.. they got to the Finals of the Euros and they qualify handy enough for these tournaments.

Brazil went out as did Belgium 1 and 2 in the world rankings, Spain duffed out too

and when they are drawn against a good team, they can't get the job done. See Belgium in 2018 group stage, Belgium in 2018 3rd place play off, Croatia 2018, Italy 2021 and now France.

If they had a top manager in charge they'd be winning trophies, too much talent in that team not to. Kane won't be around for ever either and he'll be a massive loss when he slows up.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 11, 2022, 07:16:32 PM
No way Rashford in instead of Foden. I don't see how you could not start Walker either.

Can play both by keeping Mount on the bench.  Getting the best out of Foden in a England shirt should be one of their objectives moving forward. Walker showed his worth by marking Mbappe out of the game last night.

Luke Shaw and Maguire have rarely performed poorly for England and the latter is more suited to the slower paced game and Southgate makes sure to use/play two defensive midfielders.

seafoid

Quote from: Armagh18 on December 11, 2022, 07:54:55 PM

and when they are drawn against a good team, they can't get the job done. See Belgium in 2018 group stage, Belgium in 2018 3rd place play off, Croatia 2018, Italy 2021 and now France.

If they had a top manager in charge they'd be winning trophies, too much talent in that team not to. Kane won't be around for ever either and he'll be a massive loss when he slows up.
You could say the same about Derry, Armagh  or Galway. Losers always need new players. that's sport.

The question is how far away England are. I think they had quite a good tournament. Bellingham really made his name.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: seafoid on December 11, 2022, 08:54:32 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on December 11, 2022, 07:54:55 PM
No he hasn’t. They beat the bad teams then shite the togs at the first sign of pressure. Best squad in the tournament on paper but closest thing to a good team he’s beat was Germany who’ve proven since that they aren’t all that anyway.

and when they are drawn against a good team, they can’t get the job done. See Belgium in 2018 group stage, Belgium in 2018 3rd place play off, Croatia 2018, Italy 2021 and now France.

If they had a top manager in charge they’d be winning trophies, too much talent in that team not to. Kane won’t be around for ever either and he’ll be a massive loss when he slows up.
You could say the same about Derry, Armagh  or Galway. Losers always need new players. that's sport.

The question is how far away England are. I think they had quite a good tournament. Bellingham really made his name.

Kerry would be a better example and once they brought Jack O'Connor back Sam was reclaimed. Arguably England might have already blown their best chance of winning a major honour by sticking with Southgate as the team/squad his replacement takes over probably won't be as strong.

P. S Bellingham had already made his name in Germany and the Champions league.