Started by Dougal Maguire, November 25, 2018, 12:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 27, 2018, 10:27:51 AM
Quote from: screenexile on November 27, 2018, 09:12:44 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 27, 2018, 07:40:45 AM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 27, 2018, 01:11:58 AM
Quote from: paddyjohn on November 26, 2018, 11:29:53 PM
Haha.. That's very true! Sometimes I wonder how we got away with half the stuff we did and if my own kids were up to it, I'd clash them!
No mobile phones with cameras & no social media to post such pics on the Internet 15 seconds after it's taken. What went on in the Holyland stayed in the Holyland. Unless you got herpes.

Thank f**k!  Some of the antics along Wolsley street circa 1995-98 are best dealt with through hazy memory and retelling of ever more elaborate tales as the memory fades and embellishments increase😂. 

I also wish to refute any arguments that's Julie's Kitchen was a stink hole.....many's the breakfast I had in there and it did me no harm!!!!!

I didn't think Julies Kitchen did breakfast?? Are you thinking about Helen's Bakery on Ormeau?? "What's yours love?"

I never said what time breakfast was at nor what I had for breakfast!!!  A lot of the time it was the left over chicken box from the night before that was sitting on the bedside cabinet 😂

johnnycool

For some reason escaping me then and now The Elms was the place to go on a Thursday night, Blackthorn playing the same old dirge (badly) week in week out in a sweat box of a bar and fierce hard to pick up in.

I liked the old upstairs in the Bot with the bar in the middle, the dancefloor with the low roof, fair old craic in there most nights.
If you were refused entry then the Egg got a turn but it was slightly a classier joint back then and if the horn was really on then the Welly Park was the place to go for the older ladies who were looking a bit of company for the night.

Bob Cratchetts was some spot on the Monday night after the nurses got paid, fierce talent, looking to snare themselves a Doctor, so lies had to be told but the best I ever saw was two lads from home, one a farmer and the other a brickie telling these two they were a dentist and a Solicitor and the hands like shovels with ground in dirt. Worked for one, but not the other..
The Hatfield back then was only frequented by the locals and any strange faces were given a quare look, but that was not long after the Sean Grahams shootings. I remember the night the Ballynafeigh band and lodge were first refused entry over the bridge by the RUC, loads of students appeared out from the Holylands watching on the embankment. Turbulent times.

Grub wise Spuds was the first port of call rudely interrupted by the advent of McDonalds across the road but once that novelty wore off it was back to Spuds.
Abacus was a mighty chinese, but a treat as it was dear enough but Mama Mia pizza's on the Lisburn road was a staple diet, £270 for a 12" marguerita and 30p a topping thereafter.

That **** "Barry" and his rip off shop.....

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: johnnycool on November 27, 2018, 12:59:32 PM

Abacus was a mighty chinese, but a treat as it was dear enough but Mama Mia pizza's on the Lisburn road was a staple diet, £270 for a 12" marguerita and 30p a topping thereafter.

Well for some .... that was 2 months rent for most ;) ;D

GetOverTheBar

Great thread, some good memories.

From the 04-08 vintage.

Someone mentioned The Egg there, not a great spot at all I'm afraid - Tonic Wine from the Optics....a crater on the actual floor of the bar. Dodgy Combo.

Temps.....Not a many turned it down at 0300. Esperantos....dear me, some feast of whatever that actually was....

No idea why Renshaws closed, it was a money magnet - but I think it bore the brunt of a lot of the antics around that time, it was at it's height one night the Holylands went a bit mad after a BBC documentary, if I mind right Alex Maskey was on top of a car pleading for calm....obviously he was shook off it. Mess altogether. Things were pretty messy at that time. St Patricks day was a disgrace for all of my time there. I didn't bother going down for it in final year.

Skye £1 a drink was a bit of mess too. Great craic if you could get in and rightly tanked.

Do the Hatfield still slip out the old carry outs after hours? Used to be a great laugh at the time getting a carry out before a night out and then going to Hatfeld to get a carry out for the end of the night. Looking back now - slightly embarrassing.

Haven't been down in that part of Belfast in a lifetime - surprised Laverys is now the go to spot, wouldn't have phoned it back in the day.

MoChara

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 27, 2018, 10:25:13 AM
Monday night - Queen's Union. Used to be huge lines to get in. Parlour sometimes got a hit. Double vodka and Red Bull was £4 at the time.
Tuesday - Limelight was always a good shout. Out of date bottles of Tennants for £1 IIRC.
Wednesday - Bot. Upstairs was usually carnage. Used to get handy entry up the fire escape at the back on the odd occasion.
Thursday - Always changed. Renshaws. Odd venture to the Beach Club. Skye had a crowd for awhile. There was also a place down University St that had a serious crowd around 2006/07. I think it used to be the Orpheus back in the day but it had changed its name around this time. Anybody recall it?

Spudz got hit for food on many occasion. Temps was an odd place. The man who rapped your order. You could also write on the walls. Esperantos beside the Globe done a decent kebab. And the Emerald's delivery service was second to none.

I want to say it was called Karma but I could be wrong

general_lee

I remember Karma I think it only opened for a year or two

GetOverTheBar

Yeah that was Karma ex The Orpheus

Tyrdub

For some reason escaping me then and now The Elms was the place to go on a Thursday night, Blackthorn playing the same old dirge (badly) week in week out in a sweat box of a bar and fierce hard to pick up in.

I liked the old upstairs in the Bot with the bar in the middle, the dancefloor with the low roof, fair old craic in there most nights.
If you were refused entry then the Egg got a turn but it was slightly a classier joint back then and if the horn was really on then the Welly Park was the place to go for the older ladies who were looking a bit of company for the night.

Bob Cratchetts was some spot on the Monday night after the nurses got paid, fierce talent, looking to snare themselves a Doctor, so lies had to be told but the best I ever saw was two lads from home, one a farmer and the other a brickie telling these two they were a dentist and a Solicitor and the hands like shovels with ground in dirt. Worked for one, but not the other..
The Hatfield back then was only frequented by the locals and any strange faces were given a quare look, but that was not long after the Sean Grahams shootings. I remember the night the Ballynafeigh band and lodge were first refused entry over the bridge by the RUC, loads of students appeared out from the Holylands watching on the embankment. Turbulent times.

Grub wise Spuds was the first port of call rudely interrupted by the advent of McDonalds across the road but once that novelty wore off it was back to Spuds.

there's a reason you could'nt pick up

Tyrdub

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 27, 2018, 01:18:15 PM
Great thread, some good memories.

From the 04-08 vintage.

Someone mentioned The Egg there, not a great spot at all I'm afraid - Tonic Wine from the Optics....a crater on the actual floor of the bar. Dodgy Combo.

Temps.....Not a many turned it down at 0300. Esperantos....dear me, some feast of whatever that actually was....

No idea why Renshaws closed, it was a money magnet - but I think it bore the brunt of a lot of the antics around that time, it was at it's height one night the Holylands went a bit mad after a BBC documentary, if I mind right Alex Maskey was on top of a car pleading for calm....obviously he was shook off it. Mess altogether. Things were pretty messy at that time. St Patricks day was a disgrace for all of my time there. I didn't bother going down for it in final year.

Skye £1 a drink was a bit of mess too. Great craic if you could get in and rightly tanked.

Do the Hatfield still slip out the old carry outs after hours? Used to be a great laugh at the time getting a carry out before a night out and then going to Hatfeld to get a carry out for the end of the night. Looking back now - slightly embarrassing.

Haven't been down in that part of Belfast in a lifetime - surprised Laverys is now the go to spot, wouldn't have phoned it back in the day.

yep still do, have availed of this service recently

Newbridge Exile

Going back a bit but the pizza and a pint  for a pound In the empire was mighty popular back in the day (not much of a pizza granted )

screenexile

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on November 27, 2018, 01:47:28 PM
Going back a bit but the pizza and a pint  for a pound In the empire was mighty popular back in the day (not much of a pizza granted )

You sure you don't mean a fiver or are you just way older than the rest of us???

Newbridge Exile

it was a £1 and would have been that tail end of the 80's start of the 90's a pint was £0.95 out at the poy Union in first year  as well ,

screenexile

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on November 27, 2018, 02:07:19 PM
it was a £1 and would have been that tail end of the 80's start of the 90's a pint was £0.95 out at the poy Union in first year  as well ,

Older then  :P :P

Pints for £1 were just being phased out in the early 2000s unfortunately!!

johnnycool

Quote from: Tyrdub on November 27, 2018, 01:42:23 PM

there's a reason you could'nt pick up

Yip, wasn't keen on sweaty muck savages.

TheOptimist

Ah the memories lads. 3 for a fiver at Renshaws, late food at Esparantos, Wednesdays at the Bot, the beach club in first year, Sunday night at Hatfield, the wee burger stand outside the union on a Monday. Easier times altogether.