Tír Eoghain v An Mhí (AI Quarter Final '07)

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 19, 2007, 02:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sheehy

QuoteNo more from me to you

Good, I dont think I could take much more of your windiness you sad sack.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 04, 2007, 01:10:37 AM
QuoteNo more from me to you

Good, I dont think I could take much more of your windiness you sad sack.

Really? Well in that case, and just for you: you're breaking rules here Sheehy, this is not a forum for cheap insults to be traded from across the Atlantic. If you're not man enough to be decent here I doubt very much that you're man enough at all .Maybe one of these days you'll grow up a little, and realise that it wasn't a mortal sin after all that Tyrone beat Kerry in 2003 and 2005, but I'll not hold my breath; don't want to die just yet.

Me, now I'm just going to have a great day in Croke. Oh the joy of days like this!  ;D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Is that mad Kingdom interloper gone? Feck, what a looper, pity his shrink!

From today's Irish Times (Saturday, 4th August...)

Sparks will fly as swords cross

Keith Duggan reports

GAA/Tyrone v Meath: Get ready to rumble. The provincial champions no other team wanted to meet versus the tearaway success of the qualifier series no other team wanted to meet: the funny thing is, neither Meath nor Tyrone will dread the thought of crossing swords this afternoon.

It is a mouth-watering contest. Meath can never be accused of being boring. Their draw against Dublin was the electric jolt the football championship badly needed. Since then, Joe Sheridan has quit the panel, Graham Geraghty did his prodigal son routine, while Stephen Bray has started scoring for fun.

Meath are young and have learnt fast. The attack is sharp and imaginative, with Shane O'Rourke playing with a maturity that belies his years. The injury to Kevin Reilly has clouded the team preparation and his absence would be another big test of Colm Coyle's resourcefulness.

However, the Meath manager's blithe disregard for all apparent adversity is the chief reason the team has travelled so far so fast. Coyle believes in getting on with it. Anthony Moyles has been a revelation in the free role Coyle has given him, although he may revert to his familiar number six position today.

All summer - and in particular against Galway - Meath have been playing with their trademark concoction of proletariat work ethic and natural-born swagger. They look like they enjoy being Meath again.

What of Tyrone? Spellbinding as they were against Donegal six weeks ago, they were mortal and in places vulnerable in their Ulster final win against Monaghan. A fit Stephen O'Neill is imperative if they are to win the All-Ireland: they hope to get 30 minutes out of the sharp-shooter today.

Ger Cavlan may suit Darren Fay at full forward, and if Meath can keep tabs on Owen Mulligan then Tyrone are going to require a good spread of scorers.

It is a big afternoon for Raymond Mulgrew, the elegant number 11 who has stepped in for the sadly absent Brian McGuigan, and also for Colm McCullagh.

Meath will go goal-hunting today: the big, spectacular, heavyweight knockout is their best chance of winning here. With Brian Farrell and Moyles regularly looking to pounce, Meath have plenty of options. And the Tyrone back line is uncomfortable under old-fashioned artillery, as Donegal demonstrated in the first 10 minutes of their game.

But they have a track record of elevating their standard in Croke Park, and today Meath will encounter a heightened brand of intensity, of execution, of set plays and of discipline. Tyrone can play it so many ways that they can bewilder opponents.

They have match winners in every line, and, for the younger generation, this is the season to prove themselves as contenders in the post-Canavan era.

Meath will be fearless, supremely motivated and blissfully happy to be coming in here as the underdogs. Sparks will fly.

In the last episode: When the counties met 11 years ago, Meath were big-boned and hungry and more talented than the rest of the country realised. Tyrone were expected to return to the All-Ireland final but were decisively beaten, 2-15 to 0-12.

Brian Dooher made his championship debut that season as a light and grafting wing forward. Over the years, the Clan na Gael man has shown finesse to match the manic energy, and has become the man the other players look to for guidance.

You bet: Tyrone 2/5. Meath 5/2. Draw 15/2.

On your marks: Tyrone has such a stellar cast that today's team still has an All-Star look about it even allowing for the absence of Stephen O'Neill. The flair and accuracy of their attacking game means the forwards and their athletic midfield pairing are often identified as the chief threats. Mickey Harte has been experimenting with full back all season, and while corner-back Damien McCaul is a highly-rated prospect, he makes his championship debut today.

The influence of centre-back Conor Gormley on his defensive unit will be of huge significance. The quiet man from Carrickmore has been subtly excellent and has play-anywhere versatility. He will need to cover the long, diagonal balls sent in towards Graham Geraghty and Shane O'Rourke, as well as keep the centre plugged. Gormley is the one genuinely irreplaceable figure for Tyrone.

Gaining ground: The Meathies feel at home in Croke Park: they just let Dublin borrow it now and again. Harte has also managed to convince his players Croke Park is the place to play their best football. The big floor will suit both sets of attackers.

Geraghty has simmered this season, with flashes of brilliance. At 34, these epic days in Croke Park must be numbered. This is the kind of theatre that may provoke one of his defiant and brilliant performances.

Crystal gazing: Everything seems to point towards one of those classic Meath rebellions. Colm Coyle has that winner's gait about him. If it is close in the last 10 minutes, it could well be Geraghty's day. But this is a special and maturing Tyrone team. If they play as they can, they should advance.

Just the ticket: Full price tickets are €35.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

tyroneman

Heard an awful rumour that Doohe ris in much more trouble than it seems - people are saying he has snapped a tendon and will be lucky to turn out again, never mind tomorrow.  :-\

Hope to feck this is all ballix; this team has seen enough tragedy to last many lifetimes let alone one generation

Mike Sheehy

I thought that was your last word ? just cant help yoyurself can you....

Quotethis is not a forum for cheap insults

Practically every spat we have had has been initiated by you, lets not forget that shall we.

Quoteto be traded from across the Atlantic

What does location have to do with it , its the internet you fool. I've also noticed in other posts directed at me that you refer to the fact that I live abroad in a negative way. In fact it was this reference to my personal circumstance that I found particularly distasteful about you.

..and maybe someday you will realize that its a bit silly to be calling people "saddos" and such like when you a doing it at ten past one in the morning. Get a life.

Star Spangler

It would be better if the arguments were in topic though!!

orangeman

Well anyway - good luck to Tyrone today - roll on the semi final !

supersarsfields

hey all just about to hit the road. hopefully get down for the first game. Come on Antrim. Here's hoping for a good game and at least now we'll have something else to talk about apart from 96!!

magickingdom

a draw is 15/2 today (meath 5/2!!). really looking forward to this game, should be a craker..

heurebag

meath to kick seven shades of shite outta them

Dont Matter

I think Tyrone will win and I expect a few dirty strokes today. Personally I hope there will be a punch up.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Maguire01

Quote from: Dont Matter on August 04, 2007, 01:28:06 PM
I think Tyrone will win and I expect a few dirty strokes today. Personally I hope there will be a punch up.

So you're big into the football then?

Puckoon

Dont know if it was last nights drink, but I am nervous! :-\

HowdyDoody

Meath 0-01  Tyrone 0-00   B.Farrell 4 mins