Tír Eoghain v An Mhí (AI Quarter Final '07)

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 19, 2007, 02:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Hardy on August 01, 2007, 11:52:31 AM
I didn't want to go there and I want to leave it now and concentrate on Saturday's match, if everyone else will agree.

Absolutely Hardy, couldn't agree more.

It's all about Saturdays game... and I hope Cavlan starts, because he won't have forgotten what it was like against those barbarians in '96... Oops! There I go again... sorry!  ;)

In all seriousness, the only talking to be done now is on or about the park at 4:00 on Saturday, that's the only thing of relevance.  Bring it on!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

tyroneman

Bit of a more sensible attitude towards the game from Block..............(taken from Hogan Stand)

QuoteGormley confident despite injuries
01 August 2007

Conor Gormley believes spirits are high in the Tyrone camp, despite doubts surrounding the fitness of team captain Brian Dooher and Stephen O'Neill ahead of Saturday's All-Ireland SFC quarter-final against Meath.

"I'd say we're confident enough, training has been good," the teak-tough defender said.

"It's been quite an up and down season for us. We did okay in the league, skipped through against Fermanagh with a late point and then turned in our best performance against Donegal.

"After that in the Ulster final we were probably lucky to scrape through against Monaghan. The bottom line is that we're here in the last eight at Croke Park and that's where we wanted to be."

Gormley recalls being on holidays in Spain when Meath upset the odds to defeat Tyrone in a controversial All-Ireland semi-final 11 years ago – the last championship meeting between the two counties.

"I was on holidays at the time in 1996 and watched it from Spain, I think I was 16 at the time," he explains.

"It's hard to believe 10 or 11 years have passed since that game. I remember being mad to play football at the time but not quite thinking I'd be involved in the next meeting with Meath.

"In fairness, they're two different eras really. There was a lot of talk about the '96 semi-final and how it turned out but I don't think it'll have any bearing this time.

"It's two different panels now. I mean I've never even played against Meath in my time with Tyrone so it's a clean slate really for us."

I know injuries is a bit of an overused one but if we line out without Dooher (prob), Block (hopefully not), McGuigan (def) and SON (prob) I seriously can't see us winning this one

As mnay have said this is a big game for the panel members - and also for Mulgrew. I still hold high hopes for him and am mystified by those who think he has been poor this year. for a lad of 21 to settle into CHF takes some doing at Championship pace. Maybe Tommy has been more spectacular going forward but I think this was based on his point scoring, rather than a nything else. IMHO Mulgrew has contributed more in overall workrate, tackling, passing, supporting and tracking back into our half looking ball

Fear ón Srath Bán

Mulgrew must start, no question. And don't forget Meath's not inconsiderable injury list, where Moyles plays will determine MH's configuration I'd say (dynamically).

Jinxy

I think we'll walk all over Tyrone to be honest.

Not sure if we'll win though! ;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Bank of Ireland Craobh Peile Sinsear na hÉireann Quarter-Finals

Páirc an Chrócaigh 4.00 Tír Eoghain v An Mhí
Referee: Vincent Neary, Maigh Eo

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Hardy on August 01, 2007, 03:38:01 PM
Oh god!

No worries, he'll have forgotten about the '96 final as much as you've forgotten about the semi  ;)  :D

Jinxy

Tyrone and Mayo: An Unholy Alliance if ever there was one. :o
If you were any use you'd be playing.

baoithe

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 01, 2007, 03:31:46 PM
Referee: Vincent Neary, Maigh Eo

God I hate this ref. Maybe it's coincidence but any game I have seen him ref he has been terrible. He could ruin this game.

Fear ón Srath Bán

He refereed our NFL game against Limerick this year, and it was a fairly anonymous performance as I recall, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. He doesn't particularly stand out one way or the other.

Star Spangler

Looking forward to hearing the teamsheet tonight, but looking at Mickey's previous selections and taking injuries into account, I think the team will line out like this.

1. Devine
2. McMenamin  3. C. McGinley  4. Carlin
5. Harte  6. Gormley 7. Jordan
8. Hughes  9. Cavanagh
10. Mellon  11. Mulgrew  12. Cavlan  ::)
13. McCullagh   14. Mulligan 15. E McGinley

magpie seanie

QuoteGod I hate this ref. Maybe it's coincidence but any game I have seen him ref he has been terrible. He could ruin this game.

I agree Baoithe but I think/hope its the fact that he is bitterly anti-Sligo that causes me to detest him so much. The amount of times that fecker has robbed us over the years....

Kerry Mike

I had a big spiell typed up a few weeks ago about the my trip to the Ulster final but I lost it as I posted it and couldn't find time to re-type it all. Just one point I had seen for the Meath lads to look out for.

As the teams lined up before the throw-in in Clones the Tyrone forwards instead of shaking hands with their opposite number let the shoulder into them, Mulligan, Hughes and McCullagh were the main culprits, very unsporting and it seemed to lay down a marker for all the pulling and draggin in the first few minutes. Dont think it was picked up on TV and I did not see anyone comment on it here, but it was right in front of me (and as a neutral you sometimes see things that are missed by those caught up in the hype of the moment), just keep an eye on them on Sat.

Other than that I think Meath are in with a great chance of a shock, Tyrone struggled towards the end against Monaghan and their midfield was well beaten so with the big Meath team they should win plenty of primary ball. Saying that Tyrone are a very good team and could have finished off Monaghan if they took their chances espeically when Mulligan hit the crossbar. Whatever players they line out with will give their all, should be a cracking game, just have a sneaking feeling Meath will edge it.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

baoithe

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 01, 2007, 05:23:50 PM
QuoteGod I hate this ref. Maybe it's coincidence but any game I have seen him ref he has been terrible. He could ruin this game.

I agree Baoithe but I think/hope its the fact that he is bitterly anti-Sligo that causes me to detest him so much. The amount of times that fecker has robbed us over the years....

Exactly Seanie. I'm not one for conspiracy theories but this guy has been exasperating be times. If it is the case he tends to favour one side or the other, one would be inclined to fear for Meath when it comes to the 50/50 calls. He's exactly the type of knob that would go after Geraghty in a game, based on Geraghty's reputation alone. I'm sure Colm Coyle might evoke some memories of '96 also.
Hopefully he'll have a good game.

neutral

Kerry mike, Tyrone were actually locked out of their changing rooms, Monaghan wore the wrong jerseys.  the process of nit raising started before the throw in.  tyrone were angered greatly that day and were treated like dirt in Colones not by the Ulster council but by the natives.  .