Tír Eoghain v An Mhí (AI Quarter Final '07)

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 19, 2007, 02:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wee Roddy

Indeed he is struggling big time. I am surprised this has been kept quiet as long. He will be playing but i would sa it will be as a holding centre back so he can get through the game.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Wee Roddy on August 01, 2007, 09:26:32 AM
Indeed he is struggling big time. I am surprised this has been kept quiet as long. He will be playing but i would sa it will be as a holding centre back so he can get through the game.

Is this a recurrent injury Wee Roddy?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Wee Roddy

It is a muscular pain as a result of a training just after the Ulster Final. It is not something that would stop you from playing in an All Ireland quarter final though. He may go down for breathers  ;) on the field but he is one hardy mo fo

Fear ón Srath Bán

Star Spangler

Tyrone Times

Tyrone on revenge mission
By Kevin Kelly

It has been a long eleven years since Tyrone and Meath met in the championship and Red Hand followers will travel to Croke Park this Saturday with high hopes of finally avenging a very disappointing defeat.  Tyrone went into that All Ireland semi-final in 1996 as favourites for the Sam Maguire; but they were ambushed in more ways than one by Sean Boylan's men and, hopefully, this weekend will be pay-back time.

Carrickmore centre half back Seamus McCallan was one of the few players to perform anywhere near his capabilities that day and he remembers it well.
"As soon as I heard the draw on Sunday night the memories of that semi final in Croke Park came flooding back. It was a very tough encounter and it was well documented about the tactics that they used but that's history now" recalled the Carmen great. "We had met them in a challenge match in Navan a couple of weeks before we both played in our provincial finals and, with both sides at almost full strength, the game finished in a draw. I don't think that anybody expected them to beat Dublin in the Leinster Final - but they did and, in hindsight, they learnt more about that challenge game than we did.  "We were caught on the hop in the semi-final and, of course, they targeted key players such as Peter Canavan and Brian Dooher; but you wouldn't get away with that nowadays, referees are more up to speed and they wouldn't let that happen."

It's fair to say that Tyrone's championship performances have been hit and miss to date but McCallan is confident that they will overcome the challenge of the Royal county and book a last four meeting with either Sligo or Cork. "I saw Meath against Galway in the previous round and they are a good side, a typical Meath team if you like, although they have a bit to go to be the finished article just yet.

"They will prove a tough nut to crack, but Tyrone will be ready for them. Mickey Harte will have them weighed up and this present Tyrone side have been down this road many times before in terms of high profile championship matches and I expect them to come through.

"It has all the makings of an enthralling encounter and I think that Tyrone hold all the aces. They may have a couple of players injured at the moment but others are capable of coming in and stepping up to the mark.

"It's last chance saloon, defeat and you are out, and I believe that Tyrone will produce a big performance when it is really needed.

"It's the business end of things now in the championship and Tyrone have another few games still to play as I can see them squaring up to Kerry again in the All-Ireland Final."

In recent years Tyrone have gained revenge for previous championship defeats at the hands of Dublin and Kerry and let's hope that, come teatime on Saturday, Colm Coyle's side are added to that list.
Last Updated: 31 July 2007 9:41 AM

Hardy

:D :D :D

I suppose we were never going to get through this week without that ould whinging mythology being wheeled out again. Fair play to the majority of Tyrone posters here for avoiding it, but there's always one lazy journalist (and one willing stooge).

Star Spangler

Keith Barr in yesterday's Indo.

Brian Dooher won't be slow to remind his Tyrone colleagues of the last time his county clashed with Meath in the championship back in 1996.

Accusations flew after the game that Meath had 'done a job' on a couple of Tyrone players and the history of that clash adds some spice to Saturday's meeting, undoubtedly the most intriguing battle of the quarter-finals.

I still think there is a deal of over-expectation about Meath and I genuinely believe that unless they get full value at midfield out of Mark Ward and Nigel Crawford that they will not defeat Tyrone.

The middle third is where Tyrone are most effective and they have squeezed the life out of better sides than Meath.

After last year's limp exit from the championship few thought Meath would be within 70 minutes of an All-Ireland semi-final 12 months later - their progress has been massive. They are assembling a forward division of real threat and Colm Coyle has re-established a lot of traditional Meath values to their style of play.

Still, I think this contest will prove a bridge too far for them at this stage of their development, particularly after losing two key players in defence against Galway - both on the same wing.

Mickey Harte has proven himself a master at keeping his side on an even keel, including playing up the extent of Tyrone's injury crisis. Yet again, the Ulster champions will go into a big game with the focus on how they will be unable to field their strongest side - this is just what Harte wants.

This is no patched-up Tyrone outfit and I think they will be one step closer in their bid for a third All-Ireland on Sunday night.

Jinxy

Will Tyrone even have 15 lads fit to take the field? There was less men injured taking Omaha beach on D-Day!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

caraghtyrone

Hardy,

Can I ask a simple question?

Who are you saying is the willing stooge?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Hardy on August 01, 2007, 10:51:55 AM
:D :D :D

I suppose we were never going to get through this week without that ould whinging mythology being wheeled out again. Fair play to the majority of Tyrone posters here for avoiding it, but there's always one lazy journalist (and one willing stooge).

In fairness Hardy, if anyone's in a position to talk about the memories that that game bring back it's someone's who was directly involved in it; and who was fully aware of the events leading up to, occurring during, and succeeding that particular game. Hardly his fault that he's canvassed for his recollections and opinion, all grist to the newsprint mill.

Uladh

Quote from: caraghtyrone on August 01, 2007, 11:00:48 AM
Hardy,

Can I ask a simple question?

Who are you saying is the willing stooge?

Obviously hardy is referring to the blimp McCallan as the stooge in this instance

Hardy

Seamus McCallan. Maybe I'm being harsh on the lad, calling him a stooge, as I don't know him,. But I can only go by the shite he spouts (or at least what he's quoted as spouting, which, I admit, can often be very different):

Quote... it was well documented about the tactics that they used

No it wasn't. A load of misinformed crap was printed by lazy journalists, originally prompted by Marian Finucane (!!!) and accepted as holy writ ever since, by people who haven't taken the trouble to check the facts or their own memories of what they thought before Marian told them they had been mugged. That's a whole lot different from "well documented".

Quote... of course, they targeted key players such as Peter Canavan and Brian Dooher; but you wouldn't get away with that nowadays, referees are more up to speed and they wouldn't let that happen.

"of course" - as if it was the wisdom of the ages.

I didn't want to go there and I want to leave it now and concentrate on Saturday's match, if everyone else will agree. But I will challenge untruths and mindless shite masquerading as fact. Could I please ask anyone who wants to present further mythology as fact in this thread at least to check the video before posting.

nrico2006

QuoteThis is no patched-up Tyrone outfit and I think they will be one step closer in their bid for a third All-Ireland on Sunday night.

No patched up Tyrone outfit??  What is his definition of a patched up outfit then?

Was watching the match from 96 the other day from an old video recording, and I still can't get over the hoore stamping on Doohers head, with the blood just pouring out of Dooher.  I doubt if Dooher will have this at the forefront of his mind come Saturday (if he plays), but I'm sure the sight of the Meath jersey wiill provide enough motivation and adrenalin for him to raise his game irrespective of the pain he will be in!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Sandy Hill

I really enjoyed the crying interview with that bollox Dinky McBride the day after the '96 match..
"Stercus accidit"

agorm

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 01, 2007, 12:06:39 PM
QuoteThis is no patched-up Tyrone outfit and I think they will be one step closer in their bid for a third All-Ireland on Sunday night.

No patched up Tyrone outfit??  What is his definition of a patched up outfit then?

Was watching the match from 96 the other day from an old video recording, and I still can't get over the hoore stamping on Doohers head, with the blood just pouring out of Dooher.  I doubt if Dooher will have this at the forefront of his mind come Saturday (if he plays), but I'm sure the sight of the Meath jersey wiill provide enough motivation and adrenalin for him to raise his game irrespective of the pain he will be in!

Guys can you give this a break.......we'll be still discussing this when we are in our nineties. Let's agree to disagree. I would not rule out a draw at the weekend and at least in the run up to the replay we could be discussing the drawn game!!!