Mid life crisis

Started by The Iceman, July 26, 2018, 08:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on July 27, 2018, 03:42:36 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on July 27, 2018, 02:42:33 PM
Poor Facebook is getting an awful hammering today. It seems to have become trendy to bash it.

I use it as it's a great source of information. The key is to unfollow any of your "friends" whose every thought you don't want to read about. They still remain on your friends list but you don't have to put up with them.

useless information though  ::)
You choose whose page to like/follow so if it's useless to you then it couldn't be easier to change.

Quote from: trailer on July 27, 2018, 03:46:36 PM
Social media reinforces peoples attitudes. Especially twitter. You're not going to follow someone or some media organisation you disagree with. Therefore you end up following what you believe to be true and therefore it just reinforces your own viewpoint.

I digress, a good bit of riding is very helpful. A great stress reliever I find.
Not true. I follow plenty I don't usually agree with so that the reinforcing you mention is reduced.

trailer

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 27, 2018, 03:54:10 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 27, 2018, 03:46:36 PM
Social media reinforces peoples attitudes. Especially twitter. You're not going to follow someone or some media organisation you disagree with. Therefore you end up following what you believe to be true and therefore it just reinforces your own viewpoint.

I digress, a good bit of riding is very helpful. A great stress reliever I find.

You should follow Ewan MacKenna.

I actually do and regularly disagree with him. But sure so does half the country. 

Captain Obvious

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 27, 2018, 01:31:07 PM
What is a mid life crisis?  Some people's mid life crisis is a daily state of being for others. I finalised my divorce there recently at 42 and feel like I have a great future. If anything I feel like I have had a mid life renaissance. It's all about perspective really.
Out of interest was she a daughter of Satan or high maintenance?

bennydorano

Always thought getting married didn't make a button of difference, shit got real with children tho. My kids are all teen and pre-teen now, they've got really annoying.

Secret of a happy marriage - time apart is as important as time together.

True happiness comes from finding some activity that you're really passionate about - slot that in beside a reasonable personal life and it's a recipe for a very contented life.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bennydorano on July 27, 2018, 10:29:57 PM
Always thought getting married didn't make a button of difference, shit got real with children tho. My kids are all teen and pre-teen now, they've got really annoying.

Secret of a happy marriage - time apart is as important as time together.

True happiness comes from finding some activity that you're really passionate about - slot that in beside a reasonable personal life and it's a recipe for a very contented life.

I know plenty golf widows, cycling widows are new, just be aware  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eamonnca1

Would you believe me if I told you I had a quarter-life crisis?

Things went south for me in a big way early in my twenties. Got dumped by my gf, lost my job, lost confidence, racked up a pile of debt without realising it, etc.. In my first job out of college I made just about every mistake you could make while working for one company.

It was the wake-up call I needed though. I had a hard time adjusting to life after university, and I needed the wallop up the ass that that experience gave me. Brought me down to earth and taught me a good hard lesson, which is you can't rest on laurels, you have to deliver, you can't get romantically involved at work without taking a big risk, you can't go on borrowing forever, you can't just buy what you want on a whim, if you go out partying several nights a week you'll have a good time but nothing to show for it financially after a few years, and above all, when your boss tells you to do something you'd better make sure and do it.

I came out of it a lot wiser.

I had a bit of a midlife crisis a few years ago when I got laid off, but was able to get through it suffering only a bit of financial damage. And a few months ago, I got married! I'm 43, so my wedding was from the "about bloody time" department.

You get these little ups and downs in life.

LooseCannon

Quote from: TabClear on July 27, 2018, 04:06:08 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on July 27, 2018, 02:42:33 PM
Poor Facebook is getting an awful hammering today. It seems to have become trendy to bash it.

I use it as it's a great source of information. The key is to unfollow any of your "friends" whose every thought you don't want to read about. They still remain on your friends list but you don't have to put up with them.

Clearly Wall Street regularly check in here for market intelligence. Facebook shares down close to 20% yesterday wiping the equivalent value of McDonalds of the business! Mark Zuckerberg persoanlly  down over $15bn in a day....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44978452
Good enough for the p***k. I'm sure that ye will all agree.

Puckoon

I got married at 24 to a girl I had NO business marrying. I thought it would make her happy and I had to justify the huge decision to go to America after college. Big mistake - but despite the beating and bruising, I have a gorgeous 10 year old darling girl who is the apple of my eye to show for it.

I met another girl when my daughter was 1 and her mother and I were divorced and we will be 7 years married this fall. Since we met, 9 years ago - life has been a long battle. Making mortgage payments on a condo after I got kicked out of grad school. Paying for work permits and masters degrees after failing my PhD. Not getting home for 3 years during all the immigration stuff. Finally getting a job at 28 making $17 an hour. I've done well this last 8 years and now pay more in tax than my first job paid in gross salary.

Now I'm 37 and I don't have to struggle for anything. First time in 16 years life has been a doddle - and its NOW that I find myself feeling this "crisis" feeling settling in. Life is comfortable, there is no struggle - and within that lies the struggle. I think its a very interesting time in our lives. We are happy, we are comfortable - but it a strange feeling to not have to be battling the odds at the moment. It is very much wash, rinse - and repeat. I have my daughter half the time and that is certainly not ideal - but you get used to it.

It could be worse I suppose - but it's definitely weird!

Insane Bolt

I remember when I was getting married.....away back in black and white😜, my mother's advice.....marriage is not a bed of roses, you have to work at it.

ONeill

I think yiz all need a good kick up the balls.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: ONeill on July 28, 2018, 08:09:12 AM
I think yiz all need a good kick up the balls.

Form an orderly queue 😎

paddyjohn

I don't buy into the mid life crisis thing. Be thankful for what you have in life, let it be family or whatever. Even the ability to get out of bed and do everyday things! Our couple we would be friendly with split up recently, 10 years married this year. They had the Big House, decent jobs and weren't a bit scared to ram it down your throats than they had a bob or 2. Times have changed now for them.

Be content with what you have and things will be ok was the advice I got on my wedding day.

michaelg

Mods, can we re-name this thread the 'Self-absorbed' thread?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 27, 2018, 08:39:30 PM
What is a mid life crisis?  Some people's mid life crisis is a daily state of being for others. I finalised my divorce there recently at 42 and feel like I have a great future. If anything I feel like I have had a mid life renaissance. It's all about perspective really.

No comment. Just had a difficult set of circumstances to the start of a relationship which had us on the back foot from early on.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 28, 2018, 10:00:23 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 27, 2018, 08:39:30 PM

No comment. Just had a difficult set of circumstances to the start of a relationship which had us on the back foot from early on.
Well played sir.