Kerry V Tyrone Fodder AISF 23rd August 2015

Started by never kickt a ball, August 02, 2015, 04:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: JoG2 on August 27, 2015, 02:12:11 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 27, 2015, 01:56:47 PM
I would share the view on tactics. Mickey Harte showed what he's made of on Sunday and was much better than Fitzmaurice.

However tyrone just didn't have the players to execute.

You can say on another day etc etc but the only time you can know for sure what difference a score would have made to the game is in the last kick of it. At other points in the game you don't know how Kerry would have reacted. When the penalty went in and it went level they went up and blitzed you. Who's to say had Bradley scored etc etc they wouldn't have done the same.

Reality is you'll never know.

surely you would have a game-plan that the players can execute or change the game-plan before or during the game to suit?

I've read a few on here saying Harte got the better of Fitzmaurice..how? Tyrone play a 15 man defensive game and counter. They don't deviate from it.  Fitzmaurice has game-plans to beat all setups as has been proven. Their system will change again for the final no doubt

Yeah I don't see that either. It's what Dublin should have been able to do against Donegal last year but they weren't able to adapt.

Kerry were able to lose O'Se and take off Donaghy and still find their way around a system that was causing them trouble. Let's not forget they outscored Tyrone 18 to 12!

Maroon Manc

Quote from: JoG2 on August 27, 2015, 02:12:11 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 27, 2015, 01:56:47 PM
I would share the view on tactics. Mickey Harte showed what he's made of on Sunday and was much better than Fitzmaurice.

However tyrone just didn't have the players to execute.

You can say on another day etc etc but the only time you can know for sure what difference a score would have made to the game is in the last kick of it. At other points in the game you don't know how Kerry would have reacted. When the penalty went in and it went level they went up and blitzed you. Who's to say had Bradley scored etc etc they wouldn't have done the same.

Reality is you'll never know.

surely you would have a game-plan that the players can execute or change the game-plan before or during the game to suit?

I've read a few on here saying Harte got the better of Fitzmaurice..how? Tyrone play a 15 man defensive game and counter. They don't deviate from it.  Fitzmaurice has game-plans to beat all setups as has been proven. Their system will change again for the final no doubt

Spot on, Kerry won by 4 points and reacted brilliantly to Tyrone coming back from 4 points down to level it. I don't see how anyone could think  Harte got the better of Fitzmaurice. I don't think Tyrone ever really went for it in the last 5 minutes, they seemed content to get beat by 4 points as opposed to 7/8 point defeat if they'd opened up at the back and really chased the game. Its something Kevin Walsh alluded to after been beaten by Donegal that plenty of teams seem content to get beat by a few points and never really throw everything at it and abandon a counter attacking strategy.

imtommygunn

Player for player tyrone are quite a bit off being as good as kerry - they have poorer defenders, a weaker midfield , considerably fewer forwards capable of getting scores and a weaker bench. For Harte to get a team so close to Kerry was ,in my book, a triumph. He got the best out of his team and his system got them in a position to have the potential to win the game. The players didn't take it and it was only potential but it was there.

Club Rossa

At least we made Joe Brolly proud to be a Northerner and proud to be a Gael,now that's better than anything else!!

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fear ón Srath Bán

Philly Jordan calls it about right I'd say, in his column today:

Jordan encouraged by Tyrone's campaign
27 August 2015

Philip Jordan is predicting a bright future for Tyrone after the county's run to the All-Ireland SFC semi-final.

Mickey Harte's new-look team put up a huge battle against Kerry last Sunday before succumbing to a four-point defeat.

"The Red Hand players will be hugely disappointed, having got so close to a first All-Ireland final in seven years. Once the hurt eases, however, they will look back on a year of massive progress," the three-time All-Ireland winning defender stated in his Irish News column.

"After last year's championship loss to Armagh, it would have been a brave Tyrone supporter who expected an All-Ireland semi-final place this time around. Tyrone lost an All-Ireland semi-final in 2013 and regressed the following year, but there is good reason to think next year will be different.

"The age profile of the team is much younger with only a few players in the 30-plus bracket. The likes of Sean Cavanagh and Joe McMahon will probably be enticed back for another year by the prospect of being potential challengers.

"The 2013 defeat to Mayo was also much more decisive and left you feeling that Tyrone were still some way off the top teams. On the evidence of Sunday, they have narrowed the gap significantly, although it's too early to call them certain All-Ireland challengers."

Hoganstand article
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Fitzmaurice took a gamble on using his 2 midfielders to man mark Donnelly and Harte and Crowley (6) to shadow Cavanagh wherever they went. It worked. It created obvious gaps through the middle which Bradley, McCann, McCrory et al exploited to an extent but by marking those 3 Tyrone players out of it, Tyrone only scored 12 times. He knew they were the source of the majority scoring moves.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

weejim

if the sunday game WASN'T BIASED would they not have highlighted Kerry's dark arts/cynical play/cheating   ie; drag downs, dives and numerous hand trips

Hardy

Lord jazes when is it ever going to stop?

BennyHarp

Quote from: Hardy on August 27, 2015, 09:01:39 PM

Hardy, we were still complaining about 1996 a few weeks ago, it's early days!!
That was never a square ball!!

ashman

Quote from: Club Rossa on August 27, 2015, 03:13:50 PM
At least we made Joe Brolly proud to be a Northerner and proud to be a Gael,now that's better than anything else!!

Was he ashamed to be a "northerner" at say 3.29 pm last Sunday???

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Rossfan on August 27, 2015, 11:51:09 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 27, 2015, 09:01:39 PM
Page 101 :D

Depends how your pages are configured  (just over 50 with me), d'oh!

You and the rest of the curmudgeonly contingent do yourselves a favour and DON'T FECKING CLICK ON THE THREAD!  Unless of course, you need your daily quota of whining and complaining :P
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Throw ball

Have all the Tyronies gone to Bundoran for the weekend. There hasn't been a post on this thread for about 20 hours! ;D

ONeill

I agree that there's no guarantee that we'll be contenders next year. We were this year though, due to a run from heaven.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.