Ashers cake controversy.

Started by T Fearon, November 07, 2014, 06:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Is Northern Ireland's strong equality and discrimination laws as a result of the history of the likes of H&W and Shorts?
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

Quote from: GJL on May 20, 2015, 11:29:40 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 20, 2015, 10:17:04 PM
Quote from: GJL on May 20, 2015, 10:13:41 PM
This is nonsense. I own a business built with hard earned money on my own property. If I don't want to do business with somebody for what ever reason I should have the right to turn them away. My business....my choice.
Yeah, but there's this thing called 'the law'.

If you don't want to do business with someone because they have a bad credit history, for example, that's fine. If you don't want to do business with them on the basis of their religion, race, sexuality, gender etc. then you're discriminating.

Ways and means. Ashers too honest for their own good but it is obvious they were deliberately targeted in this case. I assume they will appeal?
How many times does it have to be repeated? The customer was a regular at Ashers. He went to his regular bakery to order a cake.

Maguire01

Quote from: muppet on May 20, 2015, 11:32:03 PM
Is Northern Ireland's strong equality and discrimination laws as a result of the history of the likes of H&W and Shorts?
Are they stronger than in the Republic or GB? I didn't think so, but I may be wrong.

GJL

If they need funding to help with an appeal I would gladly donate and I know several business owners that would feel the same. This story has a bit to run yet I think.

Maguire01

It might well do. I was surprised at the judgement, having thought the distinction between refusing the person and the order would be sufficient to clear Ashers. The judge obviously thought differently and I haven't read the full judgement to understand the legal nuances.

ziggysego

Quote from: gallsman on May 20, 2015, 05:23:07 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on May 20, 2015, 04:47:58 PM
I was told to get off an London Red Bus a number of years ago because the ticket collector deemed me a fire hazard. God Bless the Londoners, they stood up for me and my right to stand on the bus. The ticket collector backed down.

You've been called worse  ;)

A lot worse....  ;D
Testing Accessibility

T Fearon

As I said before it is rare if not unique for an Equality Commission supported case to be defeated.Makes you wonder if the judges,legals etc all work hand in glove to keep the gravy train flowing.

Bet Jerome Quinn wishes he'd had the backing of the Equality Commission

gallsman

Quote from: T Fearon on May 21, 2015, 12:27:49 AM
As I said before it is rare if not unique for an Equality Commission supported case to be defeated.Makes you wonder if the judges,legals etc all work hand in glove to keep the gravy train flowing.

When did you start working for Jim Allister?

StGallsGAA

In a Twitter war of words over The Ashers debacle Jamie Bryson has claimed he knows what he's talking about due to the fact he has a law degree.    His claim has pricked up quite a few ears And he's been challenged to give further details of where he qualified from and when but wee Jamie has gone stwangely qwiet.....

Never knew you needed a law degree to answer the phones in a taxi office!!

Oraisteach

Just curious.  Do the Ashers want Jamie Bryson on their side?  And Bryson is the voice of what constituency?  Flag-waving Loyalists? 

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on May 21, 2015, 12:27:49 AM

Or maybe they only support cases where they're convinced there's a genuine equality issue, thereby substantially increasing the success rate.

MoChara

Do ya think it would have made any difference on the case if they had refused the cake at point of asking rather than taking a weekend to decide? I think there's a fair chance there wouldn't even be a case never mind a different outcome.

gallsman

Quote from: Oraisteach on May 21, 2015, 04:18:21 AM
Just curious.  Do the Ashers want Jamie Bryson on their side?  And Bryson is the voice of what constituency?  Flag-waving Loyalists?

I imagine they want nothing to do with him and his ilk.

Bryson is the voice of nobody. The fleg waving loyalist constituency barely exists any more. Release a bit of "community funding" and they shut up for a few years.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: armaghniac on May 20, 2015, 10:16:51 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 20, 2015, 10:14:29 PM
Quote from: topcuppla on May 20, 2015, 10:08:31 PM
So in Crossmaglen a man walks into a cake shop and asks for a cake with a sash and a god save ulster slogan, are they legally obliged to deliver or face the wrath of the equality commission?
Yes, on my understanding of this judgement, unless they have an explicit policy about not making cakes with political/religious slogans.

But if I was them, i'd take the order.

Take the order and ask them at what time they were coming back to collect it.

Discrimination laws would be the least of his worries!

ziggysego

Quote from: StGallsGAA on May 21, 2015, 01:09:16 AM
In a Twitter war of words over The Ashers debacle Jamie Bryson has claimed he knows what he's talking about due to the fact he has a law degree.    His claim has pricked up quite a few ears And he's been challenged to give further details of where he qualified from and when but wee Jamie has gone stwangely qwiet.....

Never knew you needed a law degree to answer the phones in a taxi office!!

https://www.facebook.com/BELFASTLAD/photos/a.167845846753708.1073741828.167750270096599/367518333453124/?type=1&theater

Which has led to this  ;D

https://www.facebook.com/BELFASTLAD/photos/a.167845846753708.1073741828.167750270096599/367672533437704/?type=1&theater
Testing Accessibility