recreational football??

Started by lawnseed, July 13, 2010, 10:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

this phenomenom is doing the rounds at the minute a is proving very popular at club level. one solo one bounce then you have to pass, and its non contact so fewer injuries in theory. i met a man whose in his early 50s and playing, he reckons i'm mad not to get stuck in! anyone had a go? whats the story? i simply could not afford to loss time at work through injury or cardiac arrest. do you train for this or just turn up i wouldnt be the fittest wouldnt want some 50yr old roasting me.. ::)
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

beer baron

Quote from: lawnseed on July 13, 2010, 10:14:46 PM
this phenomenom is doing the rounds at the minute a is proving very popular at club level. one solo one bounce then you have to pass, and its non contact so fewer injuries in theory. i met a man whose in his early 50s and playing, he reckons i'm mad not to get stuck in! anyone had a go? whats the story? i simply could not afford to loss time at work through injury or cardiac arrest. do you train for this or just turn up i wouldnt be the fittest wouldnt want some 50yr old roasting me.. ::)

Sure thats would junior b's is for,well for me anyway!

thewanderer

I dont think the gaa will provide insurance cover for these games now????

Mario

Sounds like the tag rugby craze is coming to Gaelic. Would be a bit like basketball i think

Club Rossa

My own club has a recreational team and lets just say the training would be light.Most games are non contact but you do get the odd boy trying to lay down a marker by  putting a big hit on someone.

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: Club Rossa on July 14, 2010, 09:26:00 AM
My own club has a recreational team and lets just say the training would be light.Most games are non contact but you do get the odd boy trying to lay down a marker by  putting a big hit on someone.

I heard your manager say after our recreational tournament that anyone caught training would not be allowed to play.

Hopefully we'll get a trip up to Ardboe for a game over the next few weeks.

Recreational football is great craic especially when played in the right spirit. Diarmaid Marsden is the main driving force behind it in Ulster anyway. I believe representatives from Croke Park were up at Clontibret's tournament recently to film a game.

Schkite

It's a great idea, basically just all about the craic, the tournament we ran there went well with a good few clubs from Monaghan involved aswell as a few from Armagh and Cavan. Cup and Shield finals on this Saturday evening followed by a BBQ and entertainment in the clubhouse, should be good craic with the Ulster final on the next day aswell.

Hardy

Quote from: beer baron on July 13, 2010, 10:42:41 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on July 13, 2010, 10:14:46 PM

Sure thats would junior b's is for,well for me anyway!

Maybe, but this is not the Junior B I know:
Quoteits non contact so fewer injuries

Club Rossa

Harold,our manager has strict views on training alright :D
I'm sure you could see that all our boys are in peak physical condition and wouldn't need much training anyway.

JMohan

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on July 14, 2010, 10:58:45 AM

I heard your manager say after our recreational tournament that anyone caught training would not be allowed to play.

Recreational football is great craic especially when played in the right spirit. Diarmaid Marsden is the main driving force behind it in Ulster anyway. I believe representatives from Croke Park were up at Clontibret's tournament recently to film a game.

Absolutely brilliant line

Suppose unless you drink alcohol after the games you don't get to play either then?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: JMohan on July 14, 2010, 03:18:30 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on July 14, 2010, 10:58:45 AM

Absolutely brilliant line

Suppose unless you drink alcohol after the games you don't get to play either then?
In tag rugby in my time, 'twas no great sin if you have a few scoops before playing either. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

screenexile

Played a tournament last year in Meadowbank (a GREAT facility for it btw) and enjoyed it immensely. Hope it does catch on as it would be easier to open this up to people who haven't much experience of GAA before.

David McKeown

This is something I would love to play as because of injury and generally being shite I can't play normal football any more.  What sort of age group does this attract and are there any regular tournaments anywhere?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Harold Disgracey

David it's generally for over 35s though not limited to that. If you are younger than that and have never played much football before you are more than welcome to play. If you fancy playing and don't mind wearing Tir na nOg's colours I could get you a game, hopefully we'll have something organised over the next few weeks.

The Clans won our tournament this year, they had the likes of Bumpy O'Hagan and Soup Campbell playing for them and must have scored 10 goals against us in the final.

David McKeown

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on July 21, 2010, 09:41:14 AM
David it's generally for over 35s though not limited to that. If you are younger than that and have never played much football before you are more than welcome to play. If you fancy playing and don't mind wearing Tir na nOg's colours I could get you a game, hopefully we'll have something organised over the next few weeks.

The Clans won our tournament this year, they had the likes of Bumpy O'Hagan and Soup Campbell playing for them and must have scored 10 goals against us in the final.

Oh I have a good ten years to go yet.  The last club side I played for was Tir Na Nog was at Under 14 though.  Talk of boys like Bumpy playing though shows how out of my league Id be.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner