Sean Brady Has Retired.

Are you glad to see him go?
42 (80.8%)
Are you sad to see him go?
10 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 52

AhNowRef

Quote from: The Iceman on October 16, 2014, 05:03:44 PM
Can we just lock this one up? We're going round in circles debating whether Tony is a dick, a WUM in need of help or both.

Yep, probably for the best !

Eamonnca1

I'm with Ice on this. Lock her up.

muppet

Can we just lock this one up? We're going round in circles debating whether Tony is a dick, a WUM in need of help or both.

We could do that.

Or if Tony just stopped displaying his staggering lack of empathy and massive blind spots for his various hobby horses, it would end naturally.

MWWSI 2017

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on October 15, 2014, 10:16:57 PM
Just getting bored reading the same old same old from anti Catholics who now expected Sean Brady to keep this at the forefront of his mind even though he was running colleges in Cavan and Rome and a million other things to occupy his mind.I ask you. ::)

It looks like that in Tony's world that if someone criticises a paedophile or someone who failed to act to stop the activities of a known paedophile and that offender happens to a church cleric then the motivation criticism is "anti-catholicism"

"Logic" like that would get a child held back a year at school

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on October 16, 2014, 06:30:03 AM
I have no doubt it crossed his mind,he's hardly likely to ever forget.The point I'm making is that Smyth was not his responsibility,when he was heading up St Patrick's Cavan and the Irish College,Rome.

No he was unlikely to forget. But the inaction - how can that be explained away?

It simply isn't good enough to say Smyth wasn't his responsibility. He had the boys' testimony and he simply had to ensure that action was taken.

If I had that sort of information about someone in my organisation but in a differnt part of the organisation I simply could not reconcile a decision to say "its not my responsibility" with even the merest trace of morality.

Your argument is weak to point of complete ridiculousness. My Muggeridge point stands

T Fearon

It is instructive the volume of traffic on this thread in comparison with the BBC spotlight thread,then again I suppose Theophobes and anti Catholics wouldn't be interested in sexual scandals that don't involve so called Catholic clerics.

I will repeat again until this point sinks in.Brady when a young priest with no influence reported accurately and timely the accusations he heard,to his senior and more influential superiors.That was the salving point of his conscience and the moment when he retained his moral integrity.From that moment onwards his responsibility for,and role in the Brendan Smyth saga,ceased to exist,and that was forty years ago.

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on October 16, 2014, 09:16:54 PM
It is instructive the volume of traffic on this thread in comparison with the BBC spotlight thread,then again I suppose Theophobes and anti Catholics wouldn't be interested in sexual scandals that don't involve so called Catholic clerics.

I will repeat again until this point sinks in.Brady when a young priest with no influence reported accurately and timely the accusations he heard,to his senior and more influential superiors.That was the salving point of his conscience and the moment when he retained his moral integrity.From that moment onwards his responsibility for,and role in the Brendan Smyth saga,ceased to exist,and that was forty years ago.

Tony, you must be coming close to realising that you haven't yet put forward a single defence of brady that holds water.

This latest attempt is yet more awful stuff. You are happy to repeat your line again and again but remind me again why it is that you believe that Brady could not and should not have done something in the many years after the original incident too bring Brady to book (to punish the crimes committed and belatedly stop him commiting more) having seen that his 1975 superiors so completely failed in their duties.

I look forward to you logic on this one because without a robust argument your repeated line above counts for nothing. Absolutely nothing

T Fearon

Could it be that Brady thought the Smyth saga was done and dusted (just like the Yanks thought about NI after the Good Friday Agreement) back in 1975? Why would he feel any responsibility after his own involvement ended? I find it bizarre that anyone should consider Brady even thought about Brendan Smyth between 1975 and the early 90s,I do not see any reason why he should

Maguire01

The reason there's little traffic on the Spotlight thread is that certain people are keeping their heads down. There's no "T Fearon" putting forward a defence. Because as with this case, it's indefensible. This thread would have died long ago had you not persisted.

LCohen

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 16, 2014, 10:19:37 PM
The reason there's little traffic on the Spotlight thread is that certain people are keeping their heads down. There's no "T Fearon" putting forward a defence. Because as with this case, it's indefensible. This thread would have died long ago had you not persisted.
+4

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on October 16, 2014, 10:18:47 PM
Could it be that Brady thought the Smyth saga was done and dusted (just like the Yanks thought about NI after the Good Friday Agreement) back in 1975? Why would he feel any responsibility after his own involvement ended? I find it bizarre that anyone should consider Brady even thought about Brendan Smyth between 1975 and the early 90s,I do not see any reason why he should

Are you saying that Brady is (and was right to be) the sort of man who when he hears and believes corroborated accusations of a most grevious nature that he takes one pop and reporting them and then washes his hands of the whole thing? Whatever happens, happens, whatever child gets raped, gets raped, he had reported it once and if nothing was done to stop the monster well its nothing to do with me?

Are you really setting out to establish that Brady was so lacking in basic intelligence, decency and morality to take such a malign path of moral cowardice? 

muppet

Great. And we will do another 100 pages pouting out the complete moral vacuum yourself and Brady inhabit.

He silenced the children Tony.

Do you get this?
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

He did not silence anyone.People silence themselves,parents failed to get to the root cause of their children's angst.

Lar Naparka

Yes, I think we should. There is nothing to be gained from leaving this thread open any longer. I would have pulled the proverbial plug a lot sooner but I was, and am, certain that Tony will open another and start up his usual coat trailing act once more.
However, that's his call and it's up to the rest of the regulars here, myself included, to have a bit of sense and find some other form of diversion to pass the time.
Somehow or other, I don't think that is going to happen! ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi