Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Brady Has Retired.

Are you glad to see him go?
42 (80.8%)
Are you sad to see him go?
10 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 52

T Fearon

It's exactly what I said.Child abuse is not Brady's fault, he has done enormous good,and the issue of child abuse has been badly mishandled

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on September 08, 2014, 05:50:53 PM
It's exactly what I said.Child abuse is not Brady's fault, he has done enormous good,and the issue of child abuse has been badly mishandled

By Brady among others.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

I have said that all along.Now as he stepped down today,Brady asked again for apologised and asked for forgiveness.What more can he do?

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on September 08, 2014, 06:46:53 PM
I have said that all along.Now as he stepped down today,Brady asked again for apologised and asked for forgiveness.What more can he do?

You have said all along that Brady badly mishandled the issue of child abuse?
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Yes,he said that himself but I objected to him being pilloried, called a "miserable bastard" etc and argued that he was fundamentally a decent man and an excellent leader

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on September 08, 2014, 06:50:40 PM
Yes,he said that himself but I objected to him being pilloried, called a "miserable b**tard" etc and argued that he was fundamentally a decent man and an excellent leader

I thought your mantra was that he was merely a note-taker and reported accurately to his superiors.

But this is a good step as he clearly badly mishandled (at the very least) child abuse issues. I am glad you are finally seeing sense.
MWWSI 2017

easytiger95

Good start is half the journey Tony - well done. Now all you need to do is exonerate children and parents from blame in their own abuse by trusted, respected clerics and you'll be welcomed back to planet Earth with open arms. Throw off the shackles brother! All you have to lose is your ignorance (and your blatant disregard for the feelings of other people!)

Zip Code

Quote from: easytiger95 on September 08, 2014, 07:11:14 PM
Good start is half the journey Tony - well done. Now all you need to do is exonerate children and parents from blame in their own abuse by trusted, respected clerics and you'll be welcomed back to planet Earth with open arms. Throw off the shackles brother! All you have to lose is your ignorance (and your blatant disregard for the feelings of other people!)

Not true, the feelings of parents of abusers upset poor Tony immensely.

T Fearon

My position remains unchanged,the victims of clerical child abuse were failed by a multitude including the church and their parents for the reasons I've already outlined on numerous occasions.Brady as a notary who reported accurately the allegations he heard to his superiors was but a small cog in that circle of abject failure

LCohen

Truth is its really of no importance at all. Who really cares who is head of the church?

On Brady himself - a defence of him that he was doing what his role required him to do irrespective of the morality/decency/ethics of the thing really just exposes the irrelevance of the church and its supposed position a moral guide with some superior insight

easytiger95

QuoteMy position remains unchanged,the victims of clerical child abuse were failed by a multitude including the church and their parents for the reasons I've already outlined on numerous occasions.Brady as a notary who reported accurately the allegations he heard to his superiors was but a small cog in that circle of abject failure

But Tony, they also let themselves let down according to you - remember how wrong they were not to tell their parents and the police? It must be very difficult to remember a constantly changing, unchanging position. But keep going, you are an inspiration to us all.

T Fearon

The Church is a moral guide and the vast majority of clerics uphold and promote the moral code.Where the Church failed was not knowing what to do and followed the human instead of spiritual course of burying its head in the sand and hoping the problem would go away.Also I don't think back in the day there was an awareness of the extent of the problem and how could it be.

The church has acknowledged this failing and apologised

easytiger95

C'mon Tone - answer the point - your unchanging position has changed from a few days ago when the victims were wrong for not reporting the abuse. You'll feel better, I promise you.

T Fearon

Easy tiger you're right , the children should have been brought up to report to their parents any strange behaviour which they knew to be wrong.Just like the two young boys abusec by a sc**bag I worked with as a student back in the late 70s.That's proper parenting

easytiger95

No, no, Tone - you don't get off that easy - you said the victims were wrong and their parents were wrong. Don't hide behind the parents, you said the victims were to blame for their abusers not being caught - and by implication, any other abuse suffered by other victims after their own experiences.

And by all means, bring up a subjective tale re abuse, where the abuser is not a member of the clergy (or did I misremember that?) to dismiss the experiences and testimony of thousands of abuse victims who never felt able to report it, no matter how upstanding their families. Outstanding Tone, you continue to outdo yourself. You should have become a priest with your command of parenting theory.