County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 09, 2018, 09:31:40 PM
Doesn't he live in Kiltoom?

Interesting that he has dabbled in the football. He's a St Thomas' man. No football down there. I'd say they'd burst any stray footballs.

His son plays football for Brigids. Was on the team that won the Junior county title last year.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on November 09, 2018, 07:36:16 PM
Good luck Anthony and welcome on board.
We should be getting better team organisation and defending anyway.
Back room team vital whoever it will be.
A bit ironic that O'Rourke wasnth ratified till he"finalised his backroom " while AC is ratified as a lone wolf!!

Lookit
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

shark

Quote from: Manning18 on November 09, 2018, 08:59:24 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 09, 2018, 08:39:36 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on November 09, 2018, 08:34:49 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 09, 2018, 08:26:02 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on November 09, 2018, 08:18:50 PM
The world's gone mad. It's not as if he's free of charge either
Inches away from appointing someone living in Armagh and working in Belfast was more mad and would have cost more.

At least he had some positive traits going for him and could be a promising coach. Literally struggling to think of any positives with this one. Huge man management concerns, no obvious tactical nous, questionable motivation after the job he wanted and was in line for was given to a former understudy, and all for a pricely fee.

As it was pointed out to you on the Connacht club thread he wouldn't have achieved what he has done in management if he was as bad as you suggest. O'Rourke in comparison had a poor management CV, name some of these positive traits that was going for him?

The only thing that happened in that thread was my question about why the Dublin CB opted against him when everything was so overwhelmingly in his favour was ignored. What exactly has he achieved? The game is littered with managers who have won provincial club titles and none of them are getting D1 jobs. Were Brigets a tactical masterclass back then or simply a group of talented footballers who won a provincial? I'll admit to not knowing much about Garrycastle bar that it was yet another team he eventually fell out with. Wasted one of the most talented teams (and a couple of careers) in recent memory in Galway, with one final player led push in 2015 that was more in spite of him than anything else and lasted for 2 games.

AOR is a former All Star in this particular sport for one and is known as an innovator. Not that he'd be the best choice either.

I'm from Galway, and don't exactly enjoy tarnishing an ex all Ireland winner for us given we've had so few. I even kind of wish him well in this. The decision is just moronic though

He never fell out with Garrycastle. He won 3 Westmeath championships in 3 years and a Leinster in his final year. He left to take the Galway job. Garrycastle hadn't won Westmeath in 5 years when he came in.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: shark on November 10, 2018, 10:23:54 AM
Quote from: Manning18 on November 09, 2018, 08:59:24 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 09, 2018, 08:39:36 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on November 09, 2018, 08:34:49 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 09, 2018, 08:26:02 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on November 09, 2018, 08:18:50 PM
The world's gone mad. It's not as if he's free of charge either
Inches away from appointing someone living in Armagh and working in Belfast was more mad and would have cost more.

At least he had some positive traits going for him and could be a promising coach. Literally struggling to think of any positives with this one. Huge man management concerns, no obvious tactical nous, questionable motivation after the job he wanted and was in line for was given to a former understudy, and all for a pricely fee.

As it was pointed out to you on the Connacht club thread he wouldn't have achieved what he has done in management if he was as bad as you suggest. O'Rourke in comparison had a poor management CV, name some of these positive traits that was going for him?

The only thing that happened in that thread was my question about why the Dublin CB opted against him when everything was so overwhelmingly in his favour was ignored. What exactly has he achieved? The game is littered with managers who have won provincial club titles and none of them are getting D1 jobs. Were Brigets a tactical masterclass back then or simply a group of talented footballers who won a provincial? I'll admit to not knowing much about Garrycastle bar that it was yet another team he eventually fell out with. Wasted one of the most talented teams (and a couple of careers) in recent memory in Galway, with one final player led push in 2015 that was more in spite of him than anything else and lasted for 2 games.

AOR is a former All Star in this particular sport for one and is known as an innovator. Not that he'd be the best choice either.

I'm from Galway, and don't exactly enjoy tarnishing an ex all Ireland winner for us given we've had so few. I even kind of wish him well in this. The decision is just moronic though

He never fell out with Garrycastle. He won 3 Westmeath championships in 3 years and a Leinster in his final year. He left to take the Galway job. Garrycastle hadn't won Westmeath in 5 years when he came in.

Was going to call him out on that but he was on a roll on trying not to tarnish Cunnigham's name   :D

Rossfan

Anthony Cunningham names his backroom -Ian Daly Mark Dowd plus a Noel Flynn as S&C man.
Ian and Mark are good choices but don't know the other lad at all.
Seems he owns a gym in Lucian.
He'll no doubt be better than the fella taken on by the former manager anyway.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Pádraic Joyce (Killererin), Stephen Joyce (Clonbur) Lloyd Kelly (Ballinasloe) the 3 remaining candidates in contention for the Galway U-20 football job.

Stephen Joyce looks like the obvious choice having led Galway Minors to 3 Connacht titles in a row & reached the 2016 All-Ireland final.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 21, 2018, 04:31:49 PM
Pádraic Joyce (Killererin), Stephen Joyce (Clonbur) Lloyd Kelly (Ballinasloe) the 3 remaining candidates in contention for the Galway U-20 football job.

Stephen Joyce looks like the obvious choice having led Galway Minors to 3 Connacht titles in a row & reached the 2016 All-Ireland final.

Word is PJ got the gig.

Tough on Stephen Joyce but never easy going up against a legendary player. Even one with limited coaching experience.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 22, 2018, 12:16:09 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 21, 2018, 04:31:49 PM

Word is PJ got the gig.

Tough on Stephen Joyce but never easy going up against a legendary player. Even one with limited coaching experience.

Odd. Know what you would get with Stephen Joyce while the jury is out on PJ as a manager.

Syferus

U20 is a pile of shíte in its current form anyways.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maroon Manc

Sounds like PJ has the job, I'm very surprised at that.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 22, 2018, 09:30:16 AM
Yeah, he was ratified at the county board meeting last night.  Wish him the best of luck, he will have a decent panel of players to work with based on their minor form.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on November 22, 2018, 09:36:30 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 22, 2018, 09:30:16 AM
Yeah, he was ratified at the county board meeting last night.  Wish him the best of luck, he will have a decent panel of players to work with based on their minor form.

Think we'd all be delighted if he was successful; I watched this group at minor level lose to Cavan and they didn't seem as talented as some of the other recent minor teams especially in the forwards then again they were brilliant when they beat Mayo a few months earlier.

WT4E

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 03, 2018, 10:17:29 PM
For me the minimum was Div3 status and beat London but this team was capable of more, the manner of how we stayed up wasn't pretty, the manner of our defeat to Galway and Armagh have to be considered.

There was lots of negatives behind the scenes too, that transferred to the pitch, his whole approach was poor, out of his depth. I'm glad he is gone.

Our CB are so poor I don't know what they will come up with next. No self-respecting outside manager will come to us. O Hara/McGowan could be anything from a disaster to great imo.

Just wondering what you think of Cathal Corey now?

LooseCannon