Kildare vs Monaghan GAAFAISCQFGS G1P1 Sunday July 15 2PM

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, July 09, 2018, 09:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Looks like we'll be having a Tyrone v Monaghan All Ireland Final ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mup

Dinny Breen

It always amuses me at how supporters from Ulster counties really over rate their championships and teams from their province. Connacht use to be like that then their counties got good.
#newbridgeornowhere

Schkite

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 12, 2018, 12:13:44 PM
It always amuses me at how supporters from Ulster counties really over rate their championships and teams from their province. Connacht use to be like that then their counties got good.

Who is overhyping Monaghan? It's just a response to all the media talk being about Kildare. Or maybe you agree with Bolton that it should be an easy win this weekend.

Maroon Manc

There's certainly a lot more hype around Kildare than Monaghan this week, the written press and podcasts are full of people talking up Kildare whilst Monaghan have barely been mentioned.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Schkite on July 12, 2018, 12:16:00 PM

Who is overhyping Monaghan? It's just a response to all the media talk being about Kildare. Or maybe you agree with Bolton that it should be an easy win this weekend.

Nope it's just an observation that supporters/media from Ulster over hype Ulster teams. How did all that Tyrone hype work out for them last year?

Emmet is excited but he also put a caveat on his analysis, 'IF' Kildare got an early goal or two he could see Kildare winning by 5 points or more.  Otherwise he felt the Monagahan inside line could be the difference.

Majority of Kildare fans are expecting an arm wrestle, the core are happy to see this Kildare team play to their abilities, personally I think the draw might be the value bet or Monaghan on the handicap. 

Kildare unfortunately can't control the media narrative, it's a good story though, couldn't buy a win in 12 months, reach the pits of despair with Carlow defeat, The Kerry Mafia sticking the knife into O'Neill, followed by wins in Derry and Longford, #newbridgeornowhere, redemption against Mayo, blow defensive Fermanagh apart. Losing to Monaghan will kill it dead though, nothing like sport to bring you back to earth. For the media and sales Kildare are a better story than Monaghan who are a good team but no romance.
#newbridgeornowhere

Schkite

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 12, 2018, 01:16:45 PM

Nope it's just an observation that supporters/media from Ulster over hype Ulster teams. How did all that Tyrone hype work out for them last year?

Emmet is excited but he also put a caveat on his analysis, 'IF' Kildare got an early goal or two he could see Kildare winning by 5 points or more.  Otherwise he felt the Monagahan inside line could be the difference.

Majority of Kildare fans are expecting an arm wrestle, the core are happy to see this Kildare team play to their abilities, personally I think the draw might be the value bet or Monaghan on the handicap. 

Kildare unfortunately can't control the media narrative, it's a good story though, couldn't buy a win in 12 months, reach the pits of despair with Carlow defeat, The Kerry Mafia sticking the knife into O'Neill, followed by wins in Derry and Longford, #newbridgeornowhere, redemption against Mayo, blow defensive Fermanagh apart. Losing to Monaghan will kill it dead though, nothing like sport to bring you back to earth. For the media and sales Kildare are a better story than Monaghan who are a good team but no romance.

Tbf I kinda agree with you about Tyrone last year. I just thought Bolton was just a bit too excitable in his prediction, 5-10 pts is quite a claim. And getting 2 early goals on us is easier said than done(unless you're Dublin...).

I can understand the media being more enthralled with Kildare right now given how things have gone since the Newbridge saga, and we haven't been seen on TV live since the Fermanagh disaster. But the media are just going a bit over the top for my liking. For what it's worth, I was a bit surprised to see us open up as 8/13 favorites. It's one of those that's 50/50 really but I'm sure both teams and sets of supporters are full sure that their team will do it. Should be a cracking day.

heffo

I was talking to a Dub this week who has been involved ad-hoc and says Kildare are like a new team since the Newbridge thing. Said their previous preparations and application were no different to Dublin but obviously were under a cloud with the 12 month losing streak. Best of luck them Sunday.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Schkite on July 12, 2018, 02:31:58 PM
It's one of those that's 50/50 really but I'm sure both teams and sets of supporters are full sure that their team will do it. Should be a cracking day.

Anyone who has watched this Kildare group in Croke Park in recent years will be travelling more in hope than expectation. The football just seems to drain out of them up there for whatever reason. That said, it's a long time since Kildare have hit Croke Park with such strong performances behind them so hopefully that will give the lads belief.

There was only a point between the teams in the league and this should be close again. I worry about Feely's fitness. I get the impression that if it was a lesser player on the panel carrying such a knock, he wouldn't be starting.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Main Street

Nope it's just an observation that supporters/media from Ulster over hype Ulster teams. How did all that Tyrone hype work out for them last year? .....
The dreaded strawman's argument response.
Basically you're spreading some good ol' fashioned ulster whataboutery manure which has absolutely no relevance to Monaghan.
Even the Dubs are hyping up you guys now :)   And now we have  Emmet flying his kite with delusions of a possibility of Kildare scoring a goal or two in the first 5 minutes and waltzing away with the game  ;D

Monaghan beating Kildare would be an act of mercy, methinks.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Main Street on July 13, 2018, 01:03:40 AM

Nope it's just an observation that supporters/media from Ulster over hype Ulster teams. How did all that Tyrone hype work out for them last year? .....
The dreaded strawman's argument response.
Basically you're spreading some good ol' fashioned ulster whataboutery manure which has absolutely no relevance to Monaghan.
Even the Dubs are hyping up you guys now :)   And now we have  Emmet flying his kite with delusions of a possibility of Kildare scoring a goal or two in the first 5 minutes and waltzing away with the game  ;D

Monaghan beating Kildare would be an act of mercy, methinks.

Must be hard to be from Monaghan craving attention from the Dublin media. Pick me! Pick me! Pick Me!
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

If Kildare don't score two goals in the first 5 minutes, their heads will surely drop.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

RedHand88

Is this Emmet Ryan who used to do the YouTube videos years ago? Where does he give his thoughts now?

GalwayBayBoy

Kildare being talked up an awful lot in the media this week which always makes me wary. How much of it though is recency bias as the win over Mayo especially is fresh in the memory. Monaghan seem perfectly suited to accepting the role of party poopers. Spilling beer on the carpet, puking on the new sofa and shifting your bird.

Captain Scarlet

I see the Kildare forum is fairly subdued as I think Kildare supporters are far less confident than what is being reported.
It can't be helped if people want to talk about us and Monaghan have not been on TV so the general public can't judge them and then there is the caveat of the teams who they played.
I am calling it 51/49% in favour of Kildare. IF we really blast from the traps we can win but Monaghan can move too.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.