Kildare vs Monaghan GAAFAISCQFGS G1P1 Sunday July 15 2PM

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, July 09, 2018, 09:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

The game has becoming more scrappy i think it might suit Kildare better.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Jayop

I'm giving the benefit of the doubt here. Thought it was a class finish. No way was he going for a point from there.

Monaghan have gotten very ragged.

Captain Obvious

Weather conditions not helping but this game has turned into a real dogfight.

Cunny Funt

Poor 2nd half only 11 scores. Monaghan the better side built on a better defence. Thats the momentum of Kildare now stopped and next week will be their 5th game in 5 weeks and against Galway playing their first game today for 4 weeks. 

Aughafad

Dinny Breen

The fears come true, conditions made ball handling difficult and suited a grizzled Monaghan defence, who then were more clinical on turnovers.

Experience won that game. No complaints.

Flynn meant it, it's what he does. Anthony Nolan should not be allowed referee inter county. Just a shit ref period.
#newbridgeornowhere

Main Street

A very tight tactical game, Monaghan, after a poor 3rd quarter finished the stronger when it really mattered and edged  the game

Kildare, very good in some parts,  perhaps it's the bias talking but I thought Monaghan were the  better all round outfit.

Captain Obvious

Monaghan were there for the taking 2nd half but Kildare weren't good enough to do it. It will be no easier now for Kildare against Kerry and Galway next.  Kerry in Clones with help but Monaghan need to work hard on their rest and recovery this week as their fatigue was there to been seen 2nd half and a fresher Kerry will look to exploit that.

The Subbie

Quote from: Main Street on July 15, 2018, 03:53:05 PM
A very tight tactical game, Monaghan, after a poor 3rd quarter finished the stronger when it really mattered and edged  the game

Kildare, very good in some parts,  perhaps it's the bias talking but I thought Monaghan were the  better all round outfit.

Agree Dinny but he was poor for both, thought his linesmen could have helped him more , once in each half Kildare handled ball in the ground and he let it go .

Thought Kearns had his best game yet for Monaghan, it took balls to go for his 2nd point when the game was in the mixer
Was back at the end with a crucial turnover
Too many wides though
Kerry in Clones will be balls to the wall stuff

Dinny Breen

Quote from: The Subbie on July 15, 2018, 04:00:41 PM

Agree Dinny but he was poor for both, thought his linesmen could have helped him more , once in each half Kildare handled ball in the ground and he let it go .

Thought Kearns had his best game yet for Monaghan, it took balls to go for his 2nd point when the game was in the mixer
Too many wides though

Sorry meant for both. 2 weeks in a row I have seen him. Today in the flesh.
#newbridgeornowhere

straightred

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 15, 2018, 04:10:11 PM
Quote from: The Subbie on July 15, 2018, 04:00:41 PM

Too many wides though

Sorry meant for both. 2 weeks in a row I have seen him. Today in the flesh.

He was brutal. Penalised Monaghan for steps early on and then let kildare away with it on numerous occasions. All we ask for is consistency

Schkite

Great win, all about just getting over the line on a day like that so we'll be happy enough even if it was a bit ugly!

Pretty wasteful in the second half so that will have to be improved on, but key players stepped up when needed. O'Connell was brilliant, Beggan played a big part and was nerveless with that insurance point at the end, and McManus kept the attack ticking over. Drew made a couple of big interceptions and put his body on the line, and K Hughes made a good contribution off the bench later on, hopefully he'll be fit for a bigger role next week. I was also very impressed with Kearns, great composure for a young lad, he's been the find of the season for Monaghan.

This was always going to be a massive game, as the loser has their backs against the wall from the start. But now we can relax a little and enjoy welcoming Kerry to Clones, knowing that we still have another crack at the semis a couple of weeks later in Galway even if it doesn't go our way next week.

Main Street

Quote from: Schkite on July 15, 2018, 04:18:39 PM
Great win, all about just getting over the line on a day like that so we'll be happy enough even if it was a bit ugly!

Pretty wasteful in the second half so that will have to be improved on, but key players stepped up when needed. O'Connell was brilliant, Beggan played a big part and was nerveless with that insurance point at the end, and McManus kept the attack ticking over. Drew made a couple of big interceptions and put his body on the line, and K Hughes made a good contribution off the bench later on, hopefully he'll be fit for a bigger role next week. I was also very impressed with Kearns, great composure for a young lad, he's been the find of the season for Monaghan.

This was always going to be a massive game, as the loser has their backs against the wall from the start. But now we can relax a little and enjoy welcoming Kerry to Clones, knowing that we still have another crack at the semis a couple of weeks later in Galway even if it doesn't go our way next week.
Yeah, all  that wastefulness by Monaghan in the 2nd half just wasn't punished by Kildare who were even more wasteful - perhaps the conditions accounted for some.

Emmet Dalton's hope for an early Kildare goal and a 5 point cushion at the end was eventually thwarted at the pass :)