Moving to the USA

Started by samuel maguire, May 11, 2022, 03:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samuel maguire

Hi Lads

Just a quick one for anyone out there who can give me some advise, it would be greatly appreciated!

Basically me and my girlfriend have both graduated from uni (herself this year and me last year) and are looking to head over to america for a year or two to work and live. I have been in contact with a number of companies over there and they are more than happy to offer me a job in my sector. What sort of visa should i be looking for? I have heard that is is very difficult for a company to sponsor an employee to come over.

Also, the J1 visa's and esta visa are only short term, i know you can only stay in the country for 90 days at a time before leaving it over a period of 2 years.

Eamonnca1

I got over on a H1B visa and later got converted to green card, although it took ten years for that adjustment-of-status process.

I was chatting to some lads yesterday who got over on E2 visas, they work at Intel.

Visas have to be renewed, although not as frequently as the green card. If you've been on the green card for long enough, or married to a US citizen for long enough, you can apply for citizenship. See eligibility requirements

Milltown Row2

You can only get advise if you stay off the USA politics thread  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eamonnca1

Staying off that thread is good for your sanity!

OgraAnDun

Quote from: samuel maguire on May 11, 2022, 03:58:17 PM
Hi Lads

Just a quick one for anyone out there who can give me some advise, it would be greatly appreciated!

Basically me and my girlfriend have both graduated from uni (herself this year and me last year) and are looking to head over to america for a year or two to work and live. I have been in contact with a number of companies over there and they are more than happy to offer me a job in my sector. What sort of visa should i be looking for? I have heard that is is very difficult for a company to sponsor an employee to come over.

Also, the J1 visa's and esta visa are only short term, i know you can only stay in the country for 90 days at a time before leaving it over a period of 2 years.

H-1B visa (I think)... a complete lottery.

whitey

I'm not an expert, but maybe find a company that has a presence in Ireland (eg State Street) and then ask for an transfer stateside after a year or two

trailer

Quote from: OgraAnDun on May 11, 2022, 08:14:35 PM
Quote from: samuel maguire on May 11, 2022, 03:58:17 PM
Hi Lads

B211A visa (I think)... a complete lottery.

It's so difficult. Most people just give up.

dec

Most people who come over for work come via a H1B visa. However that is company sponsored so you would have to get them to agree to do that.

"I have been in contact with a number of companies over there and they are more than happy to offer me a job in my sector."

Did you talk about the visa situation with them? Were any willing to get involved?

gawa316

Didn't want to start a new thread so I thought I add this in here.

I need to travel home soon, probably end of December. My green card expires in early December but I have applied for a renewal. Will I be able to still travel and get back into the US?

Gmac

Quote from: gawa316 on November 10, 2022, 04:53:22 PM

I need to travel home soon, probably end of December. My green card expires in early December but I have applied for a renewal. Will I be able to still travel and get back into the US?
you would need to talk to immigration to get a temporary extension or a travel exemption, I wouldn't travel on an expired green card

gawa316

Quote from: Gmac on November 10, 2022, 05:16:46 PM

you would need to talk to immigration to get a temporary extension or a travel exemption, I wouldn't travel on an expired green card

I called a number from the USCIS site and a recorded msg mentioned green cards getting extended by 2 years, while renewals were processed. I kept asking to speak to a real person because I couldn't get the answer I was looking for and the virtual bitch hung up on me!

Puckoon

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-we-grant-your-green-card/replace-your-green-card

ALERT: Effective Sept. 26, USCIS has automatically extended the validity of Green Cards to 24 months for lawful permanent residents who file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. Read more here: USCIS Extends Green Card Validity Extension to 24 Months for Green Card Renewals.

I wouldn't want to chance it, but I am a pessimist. Seems like you have a valid re entry provided you have submitted your I90 form.

Gmac

Quote from: gawa316 on November 10, 2022, 05:29:31 PM

I called a number from the USCIS site and a recorded msg mentioned green cards getting extended by 2 years, while renewals were processed. I kept asking to speak to a real person because I couldn't get the answer I was looking for and the virtual bitch hung up on me!
make an appointment and talk to someone bring whatever you have that shows you are accepted for new green card and why you need to travel , if your extension has been approved you are fine .

gawa316

Quote from: Gmac on November 10, 2022, 05:44:36 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on November 10, 2022, 05:29:31 PM

make an appointment and talk to someone bring whatever you have that shows you are accepted for new green card and why you need to travel , if your extension has been approved you are fine .

Any idea where I need to go (website, phone number) to make an appt?

J70

Quote from: Puckoon on November 10, 2022, 05:42:59 PM
https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-we-grant-your-green-card/replace-your-green-card

ALERT: Effective Sept. 26, USCIS has automatically extended the validity of Green Cards to 24 months for lawful permanent residents who file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. Read more here: USCIS Extends Green Card Validity Extension to 24 Months for Green Card Renewals.

I wouldn't want to chance it, but I am a pessimist. Seems like you have a valid re entry provided you have submitted your I90 form.

I wouldn't want to risk it either, but I'm also of a pessimistic nature.

I would follow Gmac's advice and go see an actual person.