Author Topic: Moving to the USA  (Read 969 times)

samuel maguire

• View Profile
Moving to the USA
« on: May 11, 2022, 03:58:17 PM »
Hi Lads

Just a quick one for anyone out there who can give me some advise, it would be greatly appreciated!

Basically me and my girlfriend have both graduated from uni (herself this year and me last year) and are looking to head over to america for a year or two to work and live. I have been in contact with a number of companies over there and they are more than happy to offer me a job in my sector. What sort of visa should i be looking for? I have heard that is is very difficult for a company to sponsor an employee to come over.

Also, the J1 visa's and esta visa are only short term, i know you can only stay in the country for 90 days at a time before leaving it over a period of 2 years.

Eamonnca1

• Catching the world in my headlights of justice
    • View Profile
Re: Moving to the USA
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 04:55:41 PM »
I got over on a H1B visa and later got converted to green card, although it took ten years for that adjustment-of-status process.

I was chatting to some lads yesterday who got over on E2 visas, they work at Intel.

Visas have to be renewed, although not as frequently as the green card. If you've been on the green card for long enough, or married to a US citizen for long enough, you can apply for citizenship. See eligibility requirements

Milltown Row2

• Catch yourself on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 05:37:19 PM »
You can only get advise if you stay off the USA politics thread  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eamonnca1

• Catching the world in my headlights of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 05:51:06 PM »
Staying off that thread is good for your sanity!

OgraAnDun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 08:14:35 PM »
Hi Lads

Just a quick one for anyone out there who can give me some advise, it would be greatly appreciated!

Basically me and my girlfriend have both graduated from uni (herself this year and me last year) and are looking to head over to america for a year or two to work and live. I have been in contact with a number of companies over there and they are more than happy to offer me a job in my sector. What sort of visa should i be looking for? I have heard that is is very difficult for a company to sponsor an employee to come over.

Also, the J1 visa's and esta visa are only short term, i know you can only stay in the country for 90 days at a time before leaving it over a period of 2 years.

H-1B visa (I think)... a complete lottery.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 08:13:47 PM by OgraAnDun »

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 08:18:15 PM »
Iím not an expert, but maybe find a company that has a presence in Ireland (eg State Street) and then ask for an transfer stateside after a year or two

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 02:41:10 PM »
Hi Lads

B211A visa (I think)... a complete lottery.

It's so difficult. Most people just give up.

dec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 07:08:12 PM »
Most people who come over for work come via a H1B visa. However that is company sponsored so you would have to get them to agree to do that.

"I have been in contact with a number of companies over there and they are more than happy to offer me a job in my sector."

Did you talk about the visa situation with them? Were any willing to get involved?