Live in North work in South

Started by tyrone08, May 02, 2022, 07:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 03, 2022, 10:26:40 AM
Quote from: tyrone08 on May 02, 2022, 07:37:34 PM
I am living in North of Ireland but looking at a few jobs down south. Plan would be to travel down each day

Question is how does the pay work? Do I get paid in euros or pounds or does it depend on the employer? .
Employed or self employed? Tax wise self employed is far better and obviously the se profit will show on your uk tax return and beneficial for mortgage,  though there are advisors around Newry I think who would be good at getting a mortgage with ROI income. Would advise you to get paid into a revolut account or similar to avoid getting ripped off on exchange rates and fees.

concur, avoid traditional banks at all costs, complete crooks

revolut is ok as is transferwise but getting paid in cash, crypto or directly into pension, isa, etc will be way more advantageous long term

armaghniac

Revolut is fine and useful, but it is based in Lithuania and it probably doesn't connect in any way with credit scoring etc in either north or south. If you are going to want a mortgage with a bank then they will be influenced by traditional dealings, not Revolut or Bitcoin.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

yellowcard

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on May 03, 2022, 11:00:48 AM
I am living in North of Ireland but looking at a few jobs down south. Plan would be to travel down each day

Question is how does the pay work? Do I get paid in euros or pounds or does it depend on the employer? .
Employed or self employed? Tax wise self employed is far better and obviously the se profit will show on your uk tax return and beneficial for mortgage,  though there are advisors around Newry I think who would be good at getting a mortgage with ROI income. Would advise you to get paid into a revolut account or similar to avoid getting ripped off on exchange rates and fees.

revolut is ok as is transferwise but getting paid in cash, crypto or directly into pension, isa, etc will be way more advantageous long term

Cash? We are veering gradually towards a cashless economy. Crypto? This is not money, who would want to get paid by Crypto when it is not a proper medium of exchange. Pension? Who wants to get paid into something they can't touch for decades.

I do think you're right about traditional banks though, they provide a woeful service and there is a severe lack of competition so they end up ripping off customers. Revolut or other online banks are more preferable.

Armagh18

Quote from: armaghniac on May 03, 2022, 12:21:18 PM
Revolut is fine and useful, but it is based in Lithuania and it probably doesn't connect in any way with credit scoring etc in either north or south. If you are going to want a mortgage with a bank then they will be influenced by traditional dealings, not Revolut or Bitcoin.
I don't think it would matter where your money is getting paid into, a bank statement from revolut is still a bank statement as long as you have the P60/tax year overview/sa302 to back up your earnings. Can easily get paid in euros to your revolut account, exchange it on the app for a much better rate to sterling with less charges, then transfer from your £ revolut to your traditional bank account if you wish.

Know next to nothing about bitcoin to be honest, but the likes of those crypto currencies will only get more and more mainstream and widely used imo

general

I travel newry to dublin daily;

1st step was going to the welfare office to get a pps number etc. pretty straightforward. dundalk was handy to me - just needed to land down, get an appointment and give id and explain i was starting work in the south.

I use revolut - very handy and easy to use - ive set mine up for euros and sterling. Get paid into the euro account, transfer to sterling then transfer direct to my NI account for the likes of mortgage payments etc.

On the standard revolut there is a comission charge trenasferring euros-sterling - I upgraded to the premium one for £11.99 per month. do not pay any comission for exchange now. saves 4 or 5 quid a month. also get cashback on purchases and daily spending which is another 3 or 4 quid a month so im only out 7-8£ a month using the premium one. i also find the rate revolut gives is usually that bit better than a bureau. today i'd get 84.2

Set yourself up on my welfare - i was able to take paternity benefit at the time. set up revenue.ie - you can see your tax paid etc.

i had no issues with mortgage when moving house - was a straightforward euro earning mortgage via my previous lender (progressive)

Milltown Row2

Does HMRC want any of your earnings if you are working in the South and living in the North?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 03, 2022, 01:36:37 PM
Does HMRC want any of your earnings if you are working in the South and living in the North?

No. I love working in the Republic, far better paid, If I can get away with it Ill stay over the border.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: yellowcard on May 03, 2022, 12:27:10 PM
Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on May 03, 2022, 11:00:48 AM

Cash? We are veering gradually towards a cashless economy. Crypto? This is not money, who would want to get paid by Crypto when it is not a proper medium of exchange. Pension? Who wants to get paid into something they can't touch for decades.

I do think you're right about traditional banks though, they provide a woeful service and there is a severe lack of competition so they end up ripping off customers. Revolut or other online banks are more preferable.

the banks don't want you to use cash as they make no money from it

crypto more risky but obviously the future of defi

pension is the most tax efficient use of your earnings, tax relief, growth, no iht, etc

you can retire at 55 if you don't pay the traditional banks hundreds of thousands in mortgage interest, exchange fees, car loans, etc

armaghniac

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on May 03, 2022, 06:04:58 PM
pension is the most tax efficient use of your earnings, tax relief, growth, no iht, etc

you can retire at 55 if you don't pay the traditional banks hundreds of thousands in mortgage interest, exchange fees, car loans, etc

Car loans and exchange fees should be avoided like the plague or shaking hands with Rory Gallagher. A pension is certainly a good plan. But a mortgage also means that you end up when you are 55 with a house that you fully own, which is a valuable asset and you can live in it rent free. In this islands, owing a house is a bit of a no brainer.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Throw ball

If you are resident in the North you will have to pay your taxes in the North. Assuming Brexit doesn't change things down the line any tax you pay in the South can be set against the tax due under a Double Taxation agreement. Circumstances can be different from person to person - eg employed or self employed etc.- so it is normally best to get advice from an accountant who has experience in cross border matters.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Throw ball on May 03, 2022, 11:45:23 PM

If you are resident in the North you will have to pay your taxes in the North. Assuming Brexit doesn't change things down the line any tax you pay in the South can be set against the tax due under a Double Taxation agreement. Circumstances can be different from person to person - eg employed or self employed etc.- so it is normally best to get advice from an accountant who has experience in cross border matters.

I pay all my taxes to Dublin , i live in Derry

balladmaker

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 04, 2022, 12:00:15 AM

Anyone know what criteria dictates where taxes are paid?  It's obviously not place of residence in your case.  I assume if paid via PAYE, then tax is deducted in place of work as opposed to place of residence. 

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: balladmaker on May 04, 2022, 12:05:11 AM

Anyone know what criteria dictates where taxes are paid?  It's obviously not place of residence in your case.

Nobody in my work pays taxes in North , 1500 of us, mostly Derry men and women

Throw ball

I would advise you check with a tax professional if you are correct doing that.

Throw ball

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 04, 2022, 12:10:13 AM
Quote from: balladmaker on May 04, 2022, 12:05:11 AM

Anyone know what criteria dictates where taxes are paid?  It's obviously not place of residence in your case.

Nobody in my work pays taxes in North , 1500 of us, mostly Derry men and women

And they have all got confirmation that they are correct in doing so ?