Live in North work in South

Started by tyrone08, May 02, 2022, 07:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone08

I am living in North of Ireland but looking at a few jobs down south. Plan would be to travel down each day

Question is how does the pay work? Do I get paid in euros or pounds or does it depend on the employer? .

David McKeown

Quote from: tyrone08 on May 02, 2022, 07:37:34 PM
I am living in North of Ireland but looking at a few jobs down south. Plan would be to travel down each day

Question is how does the pay work? Do I get paid in euros or pounds or does it depend on the employer? .

No expert in this at all but had a friend recently complain that as her salary was in Euro she couldn't get a mortgage to buy a house in the North. Is that specific to that bank or is this a widespread problem
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

TwoUpTwoDown

Quote from: David McKeown on May 02, 2022, 07:47:42 PM

No expert in this at all but had a friend recently complain that as her salary was in Euro she couldn't get a mortgage to buy a house in the North. Is that specific to that bank or is this a widespread problem

Your earnings from ROI carry little to no weight when applying for a mortgage. Majority of ROI companies pay in their used currency so it would be Euro.

It's a pain in the hole too as there are numerous fees and charges when transferring money from € to £ etc

laoislad

Bloody foreigners coming down here taking our jobs....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

pbat

I got my mortgage in the North while earning euros and producing payslips. The options are limited but Natwest done mine.

tyrone08

Quote from: laoislad on May 02, 2022, 08:16:44 PM
Bloody foreigners coming down here taking our jobs....

😂 Well played.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: David McKeown on May 02, 2022, 07:47:42 PM

Progressive worth a shout on this or as pbat said NatWest David (if shes an NI resident)

RedHand88

Id recommend getting a Revolut card. You can get your wages paid into it and it's dead handy for using on both sides of the border. Don't bother with a bank account. Their fees are crap.
You'll have to submit a return to HMRC each year but because you are paying tax in the south which the UK has a double tax agreement with you probably wont have to pay anything to the UK government.
You'll be at the mercy of the exchange rate but its been fairly stable recently.

Yes mortgages are a nightmare because most banks don't recognise southern income. Have a friend who was producing payslips showing he made €6000 a month for the last 3 months and he was struggling to get a £450 a month mortgage approved. Madness

brokencrossbar1

Will be paid in euro I would imagine. Have worked both sides of the border and I suppose it depends on the industry. The wages are better in general but the travel can cut the shite out of you now. I travel 2-3 times a month to Dublin from Belfast. The mileage just about covers the fuel whereas this time last year I was always €10-15 euros ahead per trip.

Look into your bank options too. I think the likes of Revolut do accounts now you can get your wages paid to with no charges.

armaghniac

You should get a Revolut card anyway, but there are other options for transferring money including between the same bank e.g. BOI and things like Transfermate. Just do the sums on the details. One possible problem with Revolut is that payroll may not be setup to pay to a non Irish Euro IBAN, even though they are not allowed discriminate.

ALso see here https://borderpeople.info/a-z/frontier-workers.html
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tyrone08

Thanks all for the info. Good information which I will follow up on.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

I live in North and work in Donegal . Get paid in sterling . Work 11 years and you will be entitled to state pension too

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 02, 2022, 09:48:54 PM
I live in North and work in Donegal . Get paid in sterling . Work 11 years and you will be entitled to state pension too

Two pensions then
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 02, 2022, 09:53:49 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 02, 2022, 09:48:54 PM

Two pensions then

Yeah

Armagh18

Employed or self employed? Tax wise self employed is far better and obviously the se profit will show on your uk tax return and beneficial for mortgage,  though there are advisors around Newry I think who would be good at getting a mortgage with ROI income. Would advise you to get paid into a revolut account or similar to avoid getting ripped off on exchange rates and fees.