Tea

Started by Eamonnca1, May 02, 2022, 12:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Help me out here. This is a genuine question. But what the hell is the big attraction to tea?

As far as I'm concerned it looks awful, tastes awful, smells awful, and burns your tongue so it hurts for days afterwards. So why do so many Irish people worship the stuff? Why do they drink it like water?

I was at my auntie's a few months ago and of course I went through the usual ritual of explaining that no, I really, honestly don't want any tea. Yes, water's fine. She said "that sounds awful that, a glass of cold water." Later when she topped me up, she topped me up with hot water from the kettle. I had to pour it down the sink and pour me a cold glass of water. She could not believe the evidence in front of her eyes that this, the most ordinary thing in the world, was all I wanted to drink.

When I'm thirsty I just pour a glass of water and drink it. Job done in a few seconds. When my dad gets thirsty he seems to go through this big elaborate ritual involving a kettle, a tea bag, milk, a teaspoon, and having to sit down for five minutes to drink the stuff. Even on a hot day.

I just don't get it. What is it about this beverage that people find so alluring?

Substandard

Have to say I'm a huge fan of tea, and drink probably far too much of it, with a spoon of sugar each time, but as the auld fella has to check his blood daily, now and again I do, and thus far no problems.
For me, I grew up with two grandparents in the house, and two down the road.  Last thing before leaving either house was to have tea, and first thing entering the house was, yep, 'pon da kittel!'  I also think it's something psychological for me- there'd be a history of drink problems across both sides of the family, and I've always had a fear of becoming an alcoholic, so I think tea substitutes for cravings.
It's always been a social thing, anyone that comes into the house has to have tea or coffee, so like the situation you've described with your aunt, we find ourselves completely at a loss when someone doesn't partake!!
The time the water meters were being installed,  the auld lad was wondering about getting the gun, while the auld lady was fretting about whether to ask them in for tea!!

Milltown Row2

Love my tea, one in the morning, then lunchtime and maybe if I've time one in the afternoon, I've another at 9ish at night. Can't have coffee at all for some reason
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I feel the same about coffee. I don't understand what the fuss is as I don't like it at all.

Orior

Fun fact: Early explorers of the Americas sent tea back home to their friends and relations. Some recipients didn't know what to do with it and actually ate it on toast.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

upmonaghansayswe

'Nowadays people don't realise that the art of tea making, and elaborate discussions about various blends of tea we're not just inane murmurings; they we're a complex form of punctuation during emotionally difficult narratives'

The Subbie

Don't understand and am suspicious of someone that doesn't like a drop of tay !

I would drink 4 or 5 cups of tay a day , easily
Partial to a coffee in the morning as well but I leave the coffee intake in single figures
Tay is different though , multiple cups per day or I'd be in bad form

If I go away for a few days I'll take a few tay bags with me so I can ensure the correct tay is drank
There is nothing worse than a bad cup of tay and nothing better than a good cup of tay !

An Watcher

Wouldn't be a fan of the coffee myself and would have no interest in finding out the attraction.  The cost alone would put me off!

Main Street

Tea and internet access are non negotiable. I go for loose leaf, the stuff that isn't dyed also Earl Grey. Easily one litre a day.

One of the best things I ever did was to stop drinking coffee, now I can't even drink one cup of it.

Rossfan

Ya can't bate a good pot of leaf tay.
Barry's for me every time.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 02, 2022, 12:27:20 AM
Help me out here. This is a genuine question. But what the hell is the big attraction to tea?

As far as I'm concerned it looks awful, tastes awful, smells awful, and burns your tongue so it hurts for days afterwards. So why do so many Irish people worship the stuff? Why do they drink it like water?

I was at my auntie's a few months ago and of course I went through the usual ritual of explaining that no, I really, honestly don't want any tea. Yes, water's fine. She said "that sounds awful that, a glass of cold water." Later when she topped me up, she topped me up with hot water from the kettle. I had to pour it down the sink and pour me a cold glass of water. She could not believe the evidence in front of her eyes that this, the most ordinary thing in the world, was all I wanted to drink.

When I'm thirsty I just pour a glass of water and drink it. Job done in a few seconds. When my dad gets thirsty he seems to go through this big elaborate ritual involving a kettle, a tea bag, milk, a teaspoon, and having to sit down for five minutes to drink the stuff. Even on a hot day.

I just don't get it. What is it about this beverage that people find so alluring?
Someone didn't use enough milk..
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Eamonnca1

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 02, 2022, 10:32:58 AM
I feel the same about coffee. I don't understand what the fuss is as I don't like it at all.

Coffee. Now there's another cult I don't understand.

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 02, 2022, 05:28:40 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 02, 2022, 10:32:58 AM

Coffee. Now there's another cult I don't understand.

You all sound like great craic.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

nrico2006

Its seemingly more hip to be into Coffee even though it is rank.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Milltown Row2

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 02, 2022, 07:27:37 PM
Its seemingly more hip to be into Coffee even though it is rank.

It's the people that have those coffee flasks type things that I'd want to run over ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea