Recommend me a mobile phone

Started by Never beat the deeler, March 17, 2020, 04:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

The Huawei p40 pro won't come with Google services but it's a cinch to install.

lurganblue

Quote from: Main Street on March 19, 2020, 02:19:10 PM
Read a wee bit about this being done on the mate30 pro. Easy done is it? Will the apps stay up to date once this has been side loaded?

gallsman

You can put Google services on a phone in about 5 minutes. Once you've the play store etc, apps stay updated like any other Android phone.

Main Street

Quote from: lurganblue on March 19, 2020, 06:21:37 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 19, 2020, 02:19:10 PM
Read a wee bit about this being done on the mate30 pro. Easy done is it? Will the apps stay up to date once this has been side loaded?
I had to install Google services separately (sideways) on my p20, after that I got notifications just as usual when an update was available for each app. However  I ended up turning off most notifications settings -  for a more peaceful existence.

gallsman

You can set it that you get notifications are available for download and installation or you can just have them update automatically.

Main Street

Quote from: gallsman on March 19, 2020, 10:07:07 PM
You can set it that you get notifications are available for download and installation or you can just have them update automatically.
I prefer to have the notifications settings all off, I can occasionaly check myself and chose what I want to update as regards to apps.
I allow modest silent non-intrusive notifications for emails, Messenger Whats App.

But for the purposes of a Huawei phone, Google settings/apps are all in the control of the user. I think it's a good value phone for the price.

gallsman

Yeah but the thread isn't about recommending you a phone or what way you configure it. A poster asked would the apps stay up to date, I gave an answer.

Main Street

Quote from: gallsman on March 20, 2020, 07:10:52 AM
Yeah but the thread isn't about recommending you a phone or what way you configure it. A poster asked would the apps stay up to date, I gave an answer.
The question was asked of me and I replied. It is germane to the thread  if a phone  (GBP150 cheaper) that I recommended or it's successor is thought to be somewhat redundant.
I did add, seeing as you probably didn't get that far down.
"But for the purposes of a Huawei phone, Google settings/apps are all in the control of the user. I think it's a good value phone for the price."

lurganblue

I'm torn on this one myself folks. I'm with O2 and due an upgrade. I've no problem with the network and it's coverage.  They don't seem to be stocking the p40 pro and I've big doubts that they'll do the one plus 8 either. That leaves the S20 range or the P30 pro (not going apple). P30 pro still a viable option in 2020? S20 range worth the cost?

O2 have also now cut ties with carphone warehouse so their handset range is out.

I could of course change network but that seems a minefield to me.

gallsman

Quote from: lurganblue on April 06, 2020, 02:18:07 PM

Why, it's s very simple process.

dec

I'm torn on this one myself folks. I'm with O2 and due an upgrade. I've no problem with the network and it's coverage.  They don't seem to be stocking the p40 pro and I've big doubts that they'll do the one plus 8 either. That leaves the S20 range or the P30 pro (not going apple). P30 pro still a viable option in 2020? S20 range worth the cost?

O2 have also now cut ties with carphone warehouse so their handset range is out.

Does it matter which network you are on? In the US I can buy an unlocked phone and simply switch the SIM card.

armaghniac

Quote from: dec on April 06, 2020, 03:29:19 PM

Does it matter which network you are on? In the US I can buy an unlocked phone and simply switch the SIM card.

An unlocked phone and change your contract to a cheaper SIM only one is the best plan, unless somone else is paying for it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

For the past few months I have been using two mobile phones.

Samsung A40 - pure rubbish compared to below. Performance total crap, and functionality is limited.

iPhone 6S - my battery is dying, but iPhone 8 will probably be my next phone
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

Quote from: Orior on April 06, 2020, 05:04:23 PM
For the past few months I have been using two mobile phones.

That's posh.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tyrdub