Rule Change Needed to Stop Puke Keep-Ball

Started by cjx, July 15, 2018, 11:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Quote from: thewobbler on May 31, 2022, 10:18:20 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 31, 2022, 09:34:35 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 31, 2022, 08:17:39 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 31, 2022, 06:14:31 PM
Ban or seriously restrict the fkn handpass!

There's nothing wrong with a quick series of handpasses to open a defense up or work your way out of trouble.

Its not the number per se (within reason).

Its where a team is fumbling back and forth across the midfield, taking up two minutes or so trying (often in vain) to work a hole through multiple layers of defenders.

My own county is one of the (if not THE) worst offenders.
It's the typical dinosaurs who complain about the hand passing. These people prefer a high hall belted with a 50/50 success rate. Normally identifiable at club games by the roar of "send her in" the minute they approach the half way line. Muttering that this is the way the game should be played.

There are some "dinosaurs" like that.

Most of us, these days, just want to see forward intent. This doesn't have the take the form of a kick pass, let alone a 50:50 hoke. We just want to see teams giving it a go.

You won't get forward intent for 70 mins. If managers are wise enough to push up on the other team if they are ahead and playing across the pitch then I don't think any rule changes are going to help.

There will be bad games. Just like in the 00's and in the 90's.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

onefineday

Quote from: thewobbler on May 31, 2022, 11:45:54 AM
Few lads on here would have a DUP mindset about this?

"Change, what the f**k do we want change for? You, you should shut the f**k up. I've a cake to finish".
It's incredible alright, people are taking it as an attack on their county. It absolutely isn't, I was in clones, great occasion, incredibly tense, but there were long passages of tedious play with neither side prepared to risk losing possession. That's a problem that the gaa must adapt their rules to fix.
It's not an attack on Derry, I'm delighted with the win and I think everyone is prepared to give them this one without too much criticism, in fairness they did take more chances and were rewarded, but if they were to continue in this vein for another year, they'd rightly be pilloried. The keep ball is a blight on the game at all senior levels, club and county. This thread started back in 2018 with Dublin v Donegal, most county teams indulge in it, it probably cost Dublin the game v mayo last year, but they've used it to see out many's a game too.
I'm seeing it at club games in Dublin, not all games, but when it's a big game between evenly matched teams, it's likely you'll see the signal and everyone sets up for a session of piggy in the middle.
Every sport has this problem, there's nothing wrong with changing rules, it's actually the duty of the governing body. Gaelic football is my sport, I want something I can be proud of, not something I have to try and defend at the water cooler to casual observers.

Mario

Both teams in ulster final scored 1-12 I think in normal time, that would be enough to win you half of the all ireland finals in the 90s. People need to take their nostalgia goggles off. Football back then was hoofball, there is far more skill and tactics involved now. If you can't enjoy different types of games and different styles sport isn't for you.

general_lee

Quote from: Mario on June 01, 2022, 07:45:00 AM
Both teams in ulster final scored 1-12 I think in normal time, that would be enough to win you half of the all ireland finals in the 90s. People need to take their nostalgia goggles off. Football back then was hoofball, there is far more skill and tactics involved now. If you can't enjoy different types of games and different styles sport isn't for you.
Sure we had the same when Donegal made the break through under McGuinness. It was the end of the world back then for the purists too.

6th sam

Football has improved in many ways , but the current rules have fostered that possession based chess which is not attractive and bad for  PR.
No back passes in or into your own half , is an easily refereed improvement that should be tested.

onefineday

This isn't about scoring, if we wanted scoring we'd watch the borefest that hurling frequently presents us with. Short puck out and tap over the bar from 110 yds in a 38pts to 29pts 'thriller' with what is now a mundane display of long range point taking from play or placed balls.
We know that skill levels, fitness levels and tactical nous are at all time high levels, but that doesn't translate into excitement, it bores fans and, it also bores players and potential players.
We know there have been many appalling games in the past, there were also many classics. Supporters and neutral fans want a mix, they want skills, but they also want spills, they want contests, there's room for tactics, but when tactics push the boundaries to some of what we've seen at all levels over the past decade, it's time for rulemakers to intervene.

Mario

Quote from: onefineday on June 01, 2022, 10:27:40 AM
This isn't about scoring, if we wanted scoring we'd watch the borefest that hurling frequently presents us with. Short puck out and tap over the bar from 110 yds in a 38pts to 29pts 'thriller' with what is now a mundane display of long range point taking from play or placed balls.
We know that skill levels, fitness levels and tactical nous are at all time high levels, but that doesn't translate into excitement, it bores fans and, it also bores players and potential players.
We know there have been many appalling games in the past, there were also many classics. Supporters and neutral fans want a mix, they want skills, but they also want spills, they want contests, there's room for tactics, but when tactics push the boundaries to some of what we've seen at all levels over the past decade, it's time for rulemakers to intervene.

Supporters and fans do get a mix. Not every game in the last few years has been like the ulster final. In fact most high profile games I remember have been nothing like it and you are calling for rule changes for some reason. If a game is competitive i'll enjoy it. That's the real problem with Gaelic football - a lack of competitive championship games, not rules or tactics.

marty34

Quote from: 6th sam on June 01, 2022, 08:33:52 AM
Football has improved in many ways , but the current rules have fostered that possession based chess which is not attractive and bad for  PR.
No back passes in or into your own half , is an easily refereed improvement that should be tested.

What has PR got to do with it?

Play like Kildare and Limerick and get hammered - that's bad for PR.

Define attractiveness?

This utopia the RTÉ and Spillane are craving doesn't exist, never has and never will. Football, like all sports evolve.

This waffle that teams will win a football match by 5-22 to 5-21 doesn't exist.

I think RTÉ and by extension Spillane etc. have a grudge against Ulster football since Tyrone gutted Kerry and they haven't got over it yet.

I know this has been covered before but BBC's coverage was miles ahead of RTÉ's stale production and analysis.

JoG2

You had all this in the Ulster final with the Anglo Celt on the line... Some boys are hard pleased!

rosnarun

Quote from: marty34 on June 01, 2022, 10:38:18 AM
Quote from: 6th sam on June 01, 2022, 08:33:52 AM

What has PR got to do with it?

Play like Kildare and Limerick and get hammered - that's bad for PR.

Define attractiveness?

This utopia the RTÉ and Spillane are craving doesn't exist, never has and never will. Football, like all sports evolve.

This waffle that teams will win a football match by 5-22 to 5-21 doesn't exist.

I think RTÉ and by extension Spillane etc. have a grudge against Ulster football since Tyrone gutted Kerry and they haven't got over it yet.

I know this has been covered before but BBC's coverage was miles ahead of RTÉ's stale production and analysis.

while i have the utmost respect for Pat spillane as a player possiblty the GOAT i have been listening to himself anf Colm orourke moan about Football for over 30 years .
at one stage i rmeber soillane saying at an end of year review that they were no good games that year.
so i dont think it bias but he and RTE seem to believe negative coverage sell better than analysis
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Denn Forever

Would a rule like the have in Basketball where once the ball goes beyond the halfway line it can't go back.  Can try to play keep ball but opposition have a greater chance of getting back.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tbrick18

I agree with that.
Some dire games back in the 90s and 00s.

Armagh started with a sweeper, then Tyrone took it to another level.
Mcguinness went up a level again and the game has now potentially evolved further.

Lots of comments here about teams refusing to take risks....do we not coach kids from no age that when passing the ball that they make the smart choice and make the safe pass so the other team doesn't get possession? We coach them that they can't attack without the ball....the other team can't score without the ball. We coach the basic skills of handpassing and kickpassing. But now some are suggesting those basic principals of the game are ruining the game! They seem to be saying that you want to defend...but not too much. You need to retain possession....but not too much possession. You need to pass....but not too often, or not too much of the same pass or only in certain directions. It really is a ridiculous argument imo.

Suggesting no backpassess after a certain distance up the field, or timers for attack are just non-runners (regardless of intent) as how on earth would you ever coach underage kids to do that? Perhaps these suggestions are only for county senior team? It would ruin the game at underage level and just result in a whole different set of problems.

I'm all for changing rules if it's for the benefit of the game but I don't see any suggestions on here (apart from one of potentially reducing teams to 13 aside) that might improve the game.
The biggest issue with the game right now is not keep ball, it's the lack of competitive games up and down the country.
That's where changes need to be made, if any. I'm not sure the new structures will improve things....I'm not a really fan of devaluing the provincial championships either so I don't really have an answer on how to improve competitiveness.
I do know Ulster is highly competitive and as a result highly entertaining in comparison to all the other provinces. I really hope we don't lose that.

rrhf

Quote from: JoG2 on June 01, 2022, 11:14:47 AM

You had all this in the Ulster final with the Anglo Celt on the line... Some boys are hard pleased!

Football in the 70s and 80s was often poor punctuated by some all time classic moments, same as the 90s and most eras. The 2000s was the greatest era with more high points than any other era. I thought Sundays game was unique and gripping. 

Dreadnought

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 01, 2022, 12:01:18 PM
Would a rule like the have in Basketball where once the ball goes beyond the halfway line it can't go back.  Can try to play keep ball but opposition have a greater chance of getting back.

Would love to see what counter action there would be to this. Create a horse shoe around the player once he crosses the line so you give them no option but to go back and concede a free. You really have to think of the reactions to this, and what coaches would do. You could make the game far far worse by trying to introduce something like this.

Rossfan

How about putting a tall ball winner at full forward and kicking long ball in to him ?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM