Derry Girls - Channel 4

Started by longballin, January 04, 2018, 10:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Another vote for Episode 2,. I'm not a huge fan but that Episode was  very funny. Episode 3 wasn't as strong but it was OK.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: WT4E on April 28, 2022, 02:18:13 PM
Episode 1 shit
Episode 2 very good
Episode 3 okay
+1. Last weeks was definitely a high point.

thebigfella

Quote from: Truth hurts on April 28, 2022, 12:53:53 PM
Does anyone think there is a lot of repetitive stuff from father Ted?

Yes..... see next post on Kevin McAleer. It's just a rip off of Father Austin Purcell IMO.

In fairness it's watchable, has some genuinely funny moments but it's not ground breaking. It is heavily influenced by stuff like father ted but that in itself is not a bad thing as it lures us in with the nostalgia. Nobody complains that stranger things just rips off/borrows form every 80s movie, in fact we expect it at this stage 😀

rosnarun

Quote from: thebigfella on April 28, 2022, 09:14:13 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on April 28, 2022, 12:53:53 PM
Does anyone think there is a lot of repetitive stuff from father Ted?

Yes..... see next post on Kevin McAleer. It's just a rip off of Father Austin Purcell IMO.

In fairness it's watchable, has some genuinely funny moments but it's not ground breaking. It is heavily influenced by stuff like father ted but that in itself is not a bad thing as it lures us in with the nostalgia. Nobody complains that stranger things just rips off/borrows form every 80s movie, in fact we expect it at this stage 😀
Mcaleer was it it ling befroe fr ted. and it wasnt funny then either
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Milltown Row2

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on April 28, 2022, 04:46:40 PM
Wifey was gigglin away at ep2 deffo the best so far. Will it go down as one if the top twenty comedies ever? No

Is it enjoyable all the same with plenty of laughs with a nice throwback to an era plenty of us remember, good tunes, few good local celebs like mcaleer and tiernan etc, while being levels above Give my Head Peace and Mrs Browns Boys? yes 😊

Jesus we are wile harsh on ourselves, the Irish that is.. It's a bitta craic and light entertainment. Very rare will you get belly laughs now on tv and if you do its from the 70's and you aint suppose to be laughing
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

93-DY-SAM

Wifey was gigglin away at ep2 deffo the best so far. Will it go down as one if the top twenty comedies ever? No

Is it enjoyable all the same with plenty of laughs with a nice throwback to an era plenty of us remember, good tunes, few good local celebs like mcaleer and tiernan etc, while being levels above Give my Head Peace and Mrs Browns Boys? yes 😊

You are starting from a low bar there. Two shows I cannot abide. Give my Head Peace is at least 20 if not 30 years past its sell-by date. Utter utter shite. And Mrs Browns Boys is about as funny as a kick to the stones.

Derry Girls like most other shows has its moments and while it is not comedy gold or won't be remembered as a classic is still a decent effort.

quit yo jibbajabba

Man Marker

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on April 29, 2022, 12:26:13 PM

You are starting from a low bar there. Two shows I cannot abide. Give my Head Peace is at least 20 if not 30 years past its sell-by date. Utter utter shite. And Mrs Browns Boys is about as funny as a kick to the stones.

Derry Girls like most other shows has its moments and while it is not comedy gold or won't be remembered as a classic is still a decent effort.

you must be some craic to go with for a night

rrhf

Tyrone Boys is going to be the next big thing...

imtommygunn

Mrs Browns boys is embarrassing - it's utter shite. Give my head peace does have the odd funny thing in it.

screenexile

Quote from: rrhf on April 29, 2022, 12:36:15 PM

We've already had that and I'm pretty sure we can all agree it was horrific.

"There's no place like Tyrone"

Well thank f**k there isn't one's more than enough!!

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Man Marker on April 29, 2022, 12:33:59 PM
Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on April 29, 2022, 12:26:13 PM

you must be some craic to go with for a night

f**k and here was me thinking I was allowed an opinion. What should I have said?

RedHand88

Quote from: screenexile on April 29, 2022, 12:52:06 PM
Quote from: rrhf on April 29, 2022, 12:36:15 PM

We've already had that and I'm pretty sure we can all agree it was horrific.

"There's no place like Tyrone"

Well thank f**k there isn't one's more than enough!!

Remarkably that got a second season.

Main Street

I am risking a 2 year ban with  Ziggysbigego as mod, but in my opinion Mrs Brown's boys is sitcom class. I don't watch it as a habit but whenever I happen upon an episode I'm impressed by the the staging, the acting, the corny dialogue, corny jokes, the blatant character stereotyping and ridiculing of same.