Do you know who he was - Down fans

Started by irunthev, September 08, 2010, 01:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irunthev

In the 1991 AI Final a shirtless Down fan managed to climb on to the roof of the old Nally Stand and stood there for most the game waving a huge Down flag. It was one of my lasting memories of the day.
Any of you know who he was? I'm sure he was a minor celebrity in the county for a week or two after it.
Or maybe that's just considered a normal thing to do in Down!!

snoopdog

Quote from: irunthev on September 08, 2010, 01:08:10 PM
In the 1991 AI Final a shirtless Down fan managed to climb on to the roof of the old Nally Stand and stood there for most the game waving a huge Down flag. It was one of my lasting memories of the day.
Any of you know who he was? I'm sure he was a minor celebrity in the county for a week or two after it.

I cant remember his name but i think he was a roofer from Attical.

charlieTully

Quote from: snoopdog on September 08, 2010, 01:40:52 PM
Quote from: irunthev on September 08, 2010, 01:08:10 PM

I cant remember his name but i think he was a roofer from Attical.

he was from downpatrick.

cornafean

There will be some fun with the 'elf and safety boys if he manages the same feat on Sunday week  :D
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

superblues

Banana Man

if i remember he had a tricolor and a down flag? i think he was from glassdrummand

Hardy

I think his name was Patrick. There was a fella beside me shouting "Come on down Patrick".

That's Saul.

seafoid

Quote from: Hardy on September 08, 2010, 02:31:16 PM
I think his name was Patrick. There was a fella beside me shouting "Come on down Patrick".

That's Saul.

I remember seeing a few snakes on the pitch trying to escape. 

JMohan

My memories are ...

He wasn't shirtless
He had a 2 flags
He also had a head band
...and 2 head bands tied around his knees

Correct?

snoopdog

Quote from: JMohan on September 08, 2010, 03:49:10 PM
My memories are ...

He wasn't shirtless
He had a 2 flags
He also had a head band

Correct?
Surely we can dig up a picture of him from somewhere. your description sounds about right.

Lecale2

Mid Down Gael

Nally Stand

He has since gotten down from it, I can confirm.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

MCMLX

I have a photo of him somewhere, but I would have to scan it.

irunthev

Quote from: JMohan on September 08, 2010, 03:49:10 PM
My memories are ...

He wasn't shirtless
He had a 2 flags
He also had a head band

Correct?

You are absolutely right about the head band, the tri-colour and the yokes around his knees. My mistake about the shirtlessness of him. Maybe that was just a fantasy!!!!!!! :o

Would I be correct to say that I saw him driving around Dublin the following day with the aforementioned tri-colour and Down flag hooked on to the back of something like a Jeep Wrangler or something as questionable as that?