FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJL

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 11, 2017, 02:02:59 PM
So if there's a separate Euro qualification competition, what happens if all the group winners qualify say? Do the highest in each group that didn't qualify via the qualification route, qualify via the league?

This is about all I could find

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/General/02/08/20/36/2082036_DOWNLOAD.pdf

JPGJOHNNYG

Basically if they have already qualified then the next best team goes into the playoffs. The only good thing to come from this is the reinstatement of the top 2 teams from each group qualify just like the old days, the playoffs were only introduced as a money spinner and then UEFA and FIFA shat themselves when big teams started having to play in them hence the seedings joke.

AZOffaly

So if my numbers are right, there'll be 48 teams in this league thing. 20 of them will qualify for the European Championships via the qualifier route, which will probably be most of the A and B leagues really.

That will leave 28 made up of a lot of C, D and a few B and As maybe.

I think they'll find it hard to get 4 from A and B to make up the playoffs, and the least bad C and D teams will have a great chance.

It's going to be quite hard NOT to qualify for the Euros.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 11, 2017, 02:47:59 PM
So if my numbers are right, there'll be 48 teams in this league thing. 20 of them will qualify for the European Championships via the qualifier route, which will probably be most of the A and B leagues really.

That will leave 28 made up of a lot of C, D and a few B and As maybe.

I think they'll find it hard to get 4 from A and B to make up the playoffs, and the least bad C and D teams will have a great chance.

It's going to be quite hard NOT to qualify for the Euros.

Here you go this explains it better
Basically its going to very difficult for a team in group B not to qualify - have i just jinxed us.

http://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/video/videoid=2502798.html#/

AZOffaly

Unless they are a divisional side , in which case they will be replaced by the best remaining club tea.... oh hang on, that's the Kerry Championship I was thinking of.

Billys Boots

As far as I'm concerned, the friendlies were a waste of time and energy - it will certainly make the season-ticket worthwhile from now on. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 11, 2017, 02:59:27 PM
As far as I'm concerned, the friendlies were a waste of time and energy - it will certainly make the season-ticket worthwhile from now on.

Especially if you could get up into A.

JPGJOHNNYG

Might put off managers from playing youth or experimenting much  if there is more on it not that any of our recent managers would try anything exotic like that anyway

magpie seanie

Have to say after looking at this a little I think it's a really good innovation. Friendlies are a pile of shite. This will be good. Being in Group B gives us a regular string of competitive games that we should be capable of winning and gives us a huge chance of making the Euros. Even if you got relegated to C you'd be in with a superb chance.

Cunny Funt

Even more so in GAA where you continue to have some foolish managers that read too much into them picking their teams/game plans based on the performances of challenges.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 11, 2017, 02:08:59 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 11, 2017, 02:05:28 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on October 11, 2017, 01:30:31 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on October 11, 2017, 01:16:57 PM
Martin O Neills new directive should be to LOSE every one of these fucktard games in order to get relegated into group D so that we can then beat Gibralatar in a play off to get to Euro 2020 I shit you not this is the way forward

The way I understand it is that the top 4 ranked teams, going from Div-A to Div-D in order, that have not qualified for Euro2020 through their groups, will play off for the last qualifying spot.

From the bbc 'By virtue of the format, lower-tier countries - the bottom 16 in the rankings - are now guaranteed one of the 24 qualifying slots for the European Championship finals'

Great chance for a nation to reach the Euro's that would normally have no chance.

Can I raise my expectations now? :) :)

You could if we were in Div D  ;D

Cunny Funt

red hander

Quote from: TheOptimist on October 11, 2017, 01:45:45 PM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/calling-james-mcclean-a-hero-leaves-some-bet365-customers-fuming-36214732.html

One for the WTF thread maybe???

The Telegraph has an agenda against James because of his brave stance over the blood-stained poppy (and his telling the North to go f**k themselves, as the song says). I was absolutely delighted to be in the away end in Cardiff on Monday night when he scored the winner, not least because it will annoy the hell out of a few people in that particular rag  ;D

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: red hander on October 12, 2017, 10:12:55 PM
Quote from: TheOptimist on October 11, 2017, 01:45:45 PM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/calling-james-mcclean-a-hero-leaves-some-bet365-customers-fuming-36214732.html

One for the WTF thread maybe???

The Telegraph has an agenda against James because of his brave stance over the blood-stained poppy (and his telling the North to go f**k themselves, as the song says). I was absolutely delighted to be in the away end in Cardiff on Monday night when he scored the winner, not least because it will annoy the hell out of a few people in that particular rag  ;D

complete non-story  8)