Norton Internet Security

Started by bennydorano, May 11, 2010, 06:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Recently got the newest version of this on my laptop and the performance of the laptop has become truely shit.  Any suggestions to improve things (barring uninstalling it)?  IT for dummies type responses please.

gallsman

Run msconfig to make sure nothing unnecessary is booting upon startup.

Mac hinery

If it's due to the ccSvcHst.exe app that runs as part of Norton there's not a lot you can do. 

Check in Task Manager to see how much of the CPU it's hogging.  There's times that it grabs 100% of CPU and freezes evertything.  I know you don't want to hear it but getting rid of Norton would be an improvement.  I've been down that route 

ziggysego

NIS is a real drain on the PC's resources. Grinds the thing to a halt. Better software on the market.
Testing Accessibility

bennydorano

Any decent freebies out there?  Dont fancy paying another £50 odd for something else.  think I had Avasti (free) for a year on a previous PC and it seemed to do the job?

ziggysego

Quote from: bennydorano on May 11, 2010, 10:11:39 PM
Any decent freebies out there?  Dont fancy paying another £50 odd for something else.  think I had Avasti (free) for a year on a previous PC and it seemed to do the job?

Download the both of these

http://free.avg.com/gb-en/homepage

http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/
Testing Accessibility

Bensars

Quote from: ziggysego on May 11, 2010, 10:04:22 PM
NIS is a real drain on the PC's resources. Grinds the thing to a halt. Better software on the market.

Untrue. The old Norton maybe but the new stuff over the last two years has been much less resource hungry.

Have you been using new Norton or just claiming old stereotypes ?

J70

I've been using NIS for a couple of years now and its superb. Seems to be very highly rated overall too.

These things do seem to be hit and miss though - there's always a few computers out there which conflict with these programmes for whatever reason.

As for freebies like AVG, just be aware that these companies also have subscription packages, so you are not getting everything they have to offer if you go for their free version (that goes for the likes of Spyware Doctor too - read the fine print - it may not remove the crap it detects. For that, you may have to suscribe).

ziggysego

Quote from: J70 on May 11, 2010, 10:27:07 PM
As for freebies like AVG, just be aware that these companies also have subscription packages, so you are not getting everything they have to offer if you go for their free version (that goes for the likes of Spyware Doctor too - read the fine print - it may not remove the crap it detects. For that, you may have to suscribe).

AVG is 100% free. You only pay if it's used for business purposes and then it's a license for multi-machines.
Testing Accessibility

mournerambler

Took a bit of advice from a computer buff & scrapped my McAfee subscription & installed AVG Free Edition + Spybot S&D, seems to be doing the trick for me + the added bonus is that they're FOC.

J70

Quote from: ziggysego on May 11, 2010, 10:31:45 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 11, 2010, 10:27:07 PM

AVG is 100% free. You only pay if it's used for business purposes and then it's a license for multi-machines.

The free version lacks some of the capabilities of the commercial version, including the ability to detect rootkits. Besides, according to some, if you must go with free versions, there are better ones out there such as Avira and Avast. Each to their own I guess, but having seen the results of inadequate internet security, I wouldn't take the risk myself.

Article from last summer on free versions... http://www.pcworld.com/article/170587/can_you_trust_free_antivirus_software.html

thejuice

Getting rid of Norton myself. From now on will be using free software i.e. Komodo anti-virus and Malwarebytes.

Norton allowed alot of crap get on my laptop while I was forking out money for it. Never again.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hedley Lamarr

Have you tried hitting it a few hard slaps on the side? ;)

Use Avast and have to say it has made a vast difference :D
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

Abble

benny
i've recently worked on 2 laptops which both had norton....
i took it off and put on avast home edititon (free) and something else. whatever you do, dont pay for any of it, you can get whatever you need for free.
improved machine speed was immediate in both cases and everything is running fine, i think a lot of people get carried away with the security aspect, but its like anything, it all depends on what you need secured.

ps, also i'd avoid avg, as they will at some point ask for subscription at very end of some update routine. one pc i looked at actually had a virus/trojan running pretending to be an update routine, but was in fact causing serious damage, machine was riddled altogethe, but i got it sorted in the end.

tyrone girl

We used to have mc afee in work now have avast and the difference in the speed of the computers is unreal - presume it has something to do with this. We have Norton on the laptops at home and find them very fast