£40k spent in one week to protect rapist near Omagh.

Started by Minder, February 15, 2008, 03:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

This is a study from brynmawr university in the states.

Katherine Amlin

Child molestation is a serious problem in the United States. The legal system is lenient with pedophiles, punishing them with insufficiently brief prison sentences that are
further abbreviated by the option of parole. Some child molesters are released back into society after serving as little as one fourth of their prison-time (1). Recidivism is extremely high among child molesters; 75% are convicted more than once for sexually abusing young people (6). Pedophiles commit sexual assault for a variety of reasons. Some rape children because of similar instances of abuse in their own childhoods (1). Some view the act of molestation as a way to gain power over another individual (1). Some pedophiles act purely on sexual desires. No matter what causes these heinous criminals to molest children, their crimes are inexcusable. Unfortunately, utilizing prison as a punishment for child molestation creates only a Band-Aid solution for the issue of sexual assault and other resolutions need to be investigated.

Alternative options for the punishment of male pedophiles are being explored in the status quo. Scientists have observed the link between testosterone and aggression and concluded that high levels of testosterone correspond with increased violent and aggressive behavior in men (5). "It is the reason that stallions are high strung and impossible to train, the reason male dogs become vicious and start to bite people. It's why boys take chances and chase girls, why they drive too fast and deliberately start fights. In violent criminals, these tendencies are exaggerated and carried to extremes" (8). In an effort to stop male pedophiles, male child molesters have the option of being chemically castrated in some states. "Chemical castration is a term used to describe treatment with a drug called Depo-Provera that, when given to men, acts on the brain to inhibit hormones that stimulate the testicles to produce testosterone" (2). Depo-Provera is a common birth control pill that containing a synthetic version of the female hormone progesterone. Advocates of chemical castration hope that injections of Depo-Provera will prevent men from molesting children.

However, some experts argue that Depo-Provera is ineffective and will not prevent molestation. Forced castration may have the adverse affect of angering a criminal, increasing his violent tendencies and lead to additional sexual abuse (2). Additionally, Depo-Provera is reversible. Therefore, unless injections are mandatory and monitored, pedophiles will not be "cured" by the drug therapy. The child molester will have renewed sexual fantasies and high levels of testosterone if the injections are discontinued (7). Joseph Frank Smith, a convicted child molester, became an advocate for chemical castration after undergoing the therapy in the 1980s. Smith stopped using the injections in 1989. In 1999, he was convicted for molesting a five-year old girl and immediately returned to prison (3). Depo-Provera also has caused side effects in some men "including depression, fatigue, diabetes, [and] blood clots" (2). Chemical castration may cause some detrimental effects in child molesters.

Regardless, Depo-Provera has been proven to inhibit the abilities of pedophilias to assault children. The progesterone in Depo-Provera counteracts the biological tendencies that lead men to rape children (4). By lowering testosterone, Depo-Provera reduces sex drive (6). Males can have sexual intercourse (7) but do not want to. Depo-Provera also decreases aggressive tendencies by reducing testosterone. "[T]he castrated criminal would be more docile and have a better opportunity to be rehabilitated, educated, and to become a worthwhile citizen" (1). Castration removes the biological and chemical tendencies that are intrinsically linked to the desire to rape in males.

Depo-Provera also reduces recidivism rates. When used as a mandatory condition of parole (6), chemical castration decreases the occurrence of repeat offenses from 75% (6) to 2% (1). Prison is less desirable because it serves no rehabilitative purpose for sexual offenders. Pedophiles who spend time festering in a prison cell are given extensive downtime to concoct new sordid sexual fantasies involving children. These horrific visions are translated into terrifying realities once the criminal comes back into contact with children following his inevitable release from prison (1). Prison simply produces sneakier criminals. Pedophiles do not want to be incarcerated again so they think of new ways to rape children that will avoid detection and future detention (6). Prison increases aggressive tendencies in male pedophiles while chemical castration addresses the root causes of sexual assault and decreases further sexual deviance.

Although chemical castration is not the perfect solution to inhibit child molestation, it discourages sexual assault better than incarceration. Injections of Depo-Provera decrease the aggressive tendencies that lead to rape in males. Castration also discourages sexual fantasies and eradicates sexual obsessions. Pedophiles are reduced to apathetic pacifists. Regulated chemical castration should be encouraged as an alternative to prison for male child molesters in order to stop recidivism and decrease instances of sexual assault.

gerry

we have to go with the law of the land, if the justice system says he is a free man and he has served his time he has the right to live in peace.  giving that i have three kids i have no love loss for his type, but he served his time although it was only eight years, he's now a free man as such.

auto half remand is wrong, if you are giving sixteen years you should serve sixteen, but that's the way it is.  people like him who wreck peoples lives be it child abusers, rapist, drunk drivers are able to continue with their lives, were as the people they affected have to live with it for the rest of theirs.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Minder

I think they are doing away with 50% remission in the North, but i would say that piece of legislation will move at a snails pace.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Square Ball

Ladies and Gentleman I give you the new minister for justice

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on February 15, 2008, 03:37:49 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 15, 2008, 03:25:54 PM
He didn't service his full-time in prison Puck and is in a high-risk sex offender catergory. He shouldn't have been let out.

50% remission still operates in the norths prisons.
Wouldn't bother with the chemicals, just cut his "bits" off and give the fcuker a straw as he leaves prison.

gets my vote
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

ziggysego

50% is a joke Gaoth. I think it's something that the Stormont Government is trying to do away with.

As for the Chemical Castration, it certainly would be a welcomed step, but the human rights issuse needs to be looked at more closely as Puck says. However, I don't believe this should fall into human rights, as he took the right be classes as human when he carried out this horrible act. The lawyers would argue the cast though.

Anyway, the chemicals can't be used to wipe the slate clean and to get out early. Serve the full term in prison and then go on the Chemicals for a set number of years, depends on the risk the person is.
Testing Accessibility

Puckoon

Quote from: ziggysego on February 15, 2008, 03:41:39 PM
50% is a joke Gaoth. I think it's something that the Stormont Government is trying to do away with.

As for the Chemical Castration, it certainly would be a welcomed step, but the human rights issuse needs to be looked at more closely as Puck says. However, I don't believe this should fall into human rights, as he took the right be classes as human when he carried out this horrible act. The lawyers would argue the cast though.

Anyway, the chemicals can't be used to wipe the slate clean and to get out early. Serve the full term in prison and then go on the Chemicals for a set number of years, depends on the risk the person is.
If he no longer is classed as a human, why dont we just hang him the moment he was convicted? If we are going to keep him in this world - he gets the same basic human rights (except for freedom) as the rest of us unfortunately. Still, im all for the castration.

man in black

How about booking him into a nice Bupa clinic. Through the magic of modern surgery give him a great big pair of tits and an extra asshole and throw him in the showers of the nearest slammer until his dying day.
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

ziggysego

Quote from: Puckoon on February 15, 2008, 03:44:34 PM
If he no longer is classed as a human, why dont we just hang him the moment he was convicted? If we are going to keep him in this world - he gets the same basic human rights (except for freedom) as the rest of us unfortunately. Still, im all for the castration.

I didn't mean in a legal sense, however in my eyes he's no longer human.
Testing Accessibility

Zapatista

If the judge didn't have the 50% option he would have been sent to prison for 8years. 50% is nonsense used to show harsh punishment and also leniency often when it suits politically. All judges and politicans are answerable to us. We have empowered people to decide if this man has paid his due to society and fit for society and to be fair the are in a better position to decide than I am.

tyssam5

Isn't he still denying the crime (despite v. strong evidence)? Thought you had to admit to it to get out early, or am I watching to much US TV

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Square Ball

I thought the same as Tyssam5, that in order to qualify for remission you have to show remorse for the crime and admit it.

there was a miscarriage of justice case recently regarding an alleged murder, and the convicted person wouldn't admit it and therefore wasn't eligible for parole
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

stew

40 grand on an animal that raped a 91 year old woman, and that in one week. The British must have more money than sense. What they should have done is locked him up for life and forced him to work hard labour 6 days a week for the rest of his natural born life.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

heganboy

what exactly is costing 40 grand a week? thats 2 million a year.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity