[Merged] Religion topic Bishop Eamon reaffirms Catholic teaching & Cinemas refusing to show ad featu

Started by T Fearon, November 07, 2015, 07:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

http://www.derryjournal.com/news/video-living-together-before-marriage-not-good-archbishop-eamon-martin-1-7053071#axzz3qmzKhhaz.

It really is time that the Church switched the emphasis from an infinitely compassionate  God (thus leading many to the erroneous conclusion that he will tolerate anything due to unconditional love) to the reality of one who has laid down rules and whose compassion can only be accessed through sincere repentance and avoidance of sin.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Jesus was always berating the Scribes and Pharisees for being all about rules but no love or compassion.
Maybe it's time for Tony to set of the "Church of latter day Pharisees".
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Rossfan on November 07, 2015, 10:55:02 AM
Jesus was always berating the Scribes and Pharisees for being all about rules but no love or compassion.
Maybe it's time for Tony to set of the "Church of latter day Pharisees".

Couldn't agree more. I have a feeling he's a Free Presbyterian in disguise.

T Fearon

No Christian believes that without repentance,compassion and forgiveness will be shown.True Jesus did exhibit extraordinary patience while trying to cajole people away from sin,but for example,he had words of comfort for only one of the two brigands who died alongside him on the cross.

laoislad

Quote from: T Fearon on November 07, 2015, 12:13:51 PM
No Christian believes that without repentance,compassion and forgiveness will be shown.True Jesus did exhibit extraordinary patience while trying to cajole people away from sin,but for example,he had words of comfort for only one of the two brigands who died alongside him on the cross.

https://youtu.be/jHPOzQzk9Qo
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

easytiger95

I'm sure Jesus is over the moon that you appreciate his efforts...

Bingo

Quote from: easytiger95 on November 07, 2015, 12:42:43 PM

I'm sure Jesus is over the moon that you appreciate his efforts...

smelmoth

Quote from: T Fearon on November 07, 2015, 07:46:47 AM
http://www.derryjournal.com/news/video-living-together-before-marriage-not-good-archbishop-eamon-martin-1-7053071#axzz3qmzKhhaz.

It really is time that the Church switched the emphasis from an infinitely compassionate  God (thus leading many to the erroneous conclusion that he will tolerate anything due to unconditional love) to the reality of one who has laid down rules and whose compassion can only be accessed through sincere repentance and avoidance of sin.

Tony

If you had any nads you should sit out side Mass and challenge people on the way in as to whether they believe in your literal truths? Anyway best of luck with that or any success you or anyone who shares your vile and repugnant views has in any election they might stand in.

Not meaning to drag this down to personal abuse but clearly are a dick

T Fearon

If you are a Christian and a Believer what other approach is valid? If we are all going to Heaven regardless what was the point of Jesus' earthly ministry?

I take your point about the average mass goer and would accept that many are routine nominal Catholics only

OgraAnDun

Quote from: T Fearon on November 07, 2015, 05:27:34 PM
If you are a Christian and a Believer what other approach is valid? If we are all going to Heaven regardless what was the point of Jesus' earthly ministry?

I take your point about the average mass goer and would accept that many are routine nominal Catholics only

The Church acknowledges that everyone sins, Tony, Jesus was on Earth and died for that. I'm nowhere near even knowledgeable on the subject however my understanding is that as long as we try to be good people and love our neighbor as we love ourselves then we should be grand.

Thankfully your fundamentalist and archaic notions and beliefs seem to be fading at an ever increasing rate from the Church. If the Church aligned to your beliefs the flock would be a total of one soon enough - yourself.

T Fearon

What then is the point of the Ten Commandments? Read any Catholic Cathechism which makes it expressly clear that commission of a mortal sin and failure to repent sincerely will result in eternal damnation.

That is Catholic Church teaching, which simply informs my views.

easytiger95

And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

— Matthew 19:16-19

He didn't mention cohabiting, and neither do the Commandments. I think we're ok.

And by the way, given your exploits in Summerhill, I'd keep a low profile on this one...

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on November 07, 2015, 08:26:09 PM
What then is the point of the Ten Commandments? Read any Catholic Cathechism which makes it expressly clear that commission of a mortal sin and failure to repent sincerely will result in eternal damnation.

That is Catholic Church teaching, which simply informs my views.
Can you not think for yourself?

smelmoth

Quote from: T Fearon on November 07, 2015, 05:27:34 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 07, 2015, 08:26:09 PM
What then is the point of the Ten Commandments?

All good questions there Tony. Piss poor answers though