‘Guns and Roses’ a new Left alternative in Irish politics?

Started by Donagh, February 23, 2009, 12:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Quote from: Donagh on February 23, 2009, 04:00:14 PM
Quote from: The GAA on February 23, 2009, 03:57:48 PM

What exactly arethose who marched wanting too achieve?

Don't feel bad about not addressing the topic - almost no one else has.

I don't feel bad. i only address topics i'm interested in. Gerry adams' laughable musings on the economy don't interest me in the least. Catriona ruane would know more about it.

Donagh

Quote from: The GAA on February 23, 2009, 04:20:57 PM
I don't feel bad. i only address topics i'm interested in. Gerry adams' laughable musings on the economy don't interest me in the least. Catriona ruane would know more about it.

Just as well then as the topic is on a possible 'left alignment' not Adams or Ruane.

The GAA

Apologies - i'll leave you to it. I just get overcome with the urge to scream when i see incompetent politicians mentioned

The GAA

What might be relevent is that a coalition including SF and the greens and packaged as an alternative to the status quo on economic grounds could only be viewed as having comedy value.

Zapatista

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on February 23, 2009, 04:14:36 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on February 23, 2009, 04:07:50 PM
Quote from: Drumanee 1 on February 23, 2009, 03:46:26 PM
a sf labour coalition may be a short term option for some but you only have to see whats happening up here to know thats exactly what it will be short term.sf objectives are are not far away  but how realistic are they?is Gerry and co just feeding patronising crap and know damm rightly nothing will come of it?when sf got involved in the day to day running of  a country they are well and truly out of there depth as ruane and gildernew are proving,it's very hard to know where to turn to up here,the sdlp are not a option as they spend most of there time sniping at sf,at least down there you have options whereas alot of republicans dont here.

Some people have short memories or else unreal expectations.

10 years is a short time for the day to day running of the north to be changed to suit nationalists and unionists alike. It will take atleast twice that to fix the problems the south are now facing no matter who is in Government.

but if you take away the politics so to speak and look at the performance of sf in the day to day running of the north it leaves alot to be desired,ruane has left our education in a complete mess and gildermew anit far behind

I see, you want to take the politics away ::) I think I know what yiou mean though, it's not a short memory you have but unreal expectations.

Education is in a mess as Ruane is trying to take the politics of division out of it. She is probably ahead of her time.

Zapatista

Quote from: The GAA on February 23, 2009, 04:40:01 PM

What might be relevent is that a coalition including SF and the greens and packaged as an alternative to the status quo on economic grounds could only be viewed as having comedy value.

What's your alternative?

Chrisowc

The monster raving loony party.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

thejuice

well, to be honest I dont think Labour will join with Sinn Féin. They have gained ground on FF and FG lately and I think that some would reckon that an alliance with Sinn Féin would do them more damage than good. Perhaps Labour/Green alliance is more a plausible left alternative.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

The GAA

Quote from: Zapatista on February 23, 2009, 04:42:54 PM

What's your alternative?

There has to be one?

Zapatista

Quote from: thejuice on February 23, 2009, 04:43:54 PM
well, to be honest I dont think Labour will join with Sinn Féin. They have gained ground on FF and FG lately and I think that some would reckon that an alliance with Sinn Féin would do them more damage than good. Perhaps Labour/Green alliance is more a plausible left alternative.

Wouldn't be enough to form Govenment though. Anything without SF will be a right Government proped up by the greens-indos or Labour

Rossfan

Perhaps Labour/Green alliance is more a plausible left alternative.

If they want to be in opposition for ever and a day.
The only alternative to a FFBuilder led Govt is a FG led one. :-\
At least it would take one load of overfed snouts out of the trough for a while but would it make any more difference?
Talk of left alliances and power etc is just  that - talk.
Labour/Left (not including SF here) wont get any seats in the 3 Ulster Counties,1 in Connacht, prob 1 in Munster outside Cork/Limerick City,3 or 4 in Leinster outside Dublin so out of about 68 Dublin/Cork/Limerick East seats they would need to win at least 45 to make any difference.
Best case scenario for SF - 2 Ulster, 1 Connacht(unlikely) 2 or 3 in Munster,3 Leinster and 4 Dublin = 11.
Sadly looks like the Mayoite  in the blueshirt is the only alternative Taoiseach to Biffo/replacement.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Drumanee 1

Quote from: Zapatista on February 23, 2009, 04:42:26 PM
Quote from: Drumanee 1 on February 23, 2009, 04:14:36 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on February 23, 2009, 04:07:50 PM
Quote from: Drumanee 1 on February 23, 2009, 03:46:26 PM
a sf labour coalition may be a short term option for some but you only have to see whats happening up here to know thats exactly what it will be short term.sf objectives are are not far away  but how realistic are they?is Gerry and co just feeding patronising crap and know damm rightly nothing will come of it?when sf got involved in the day to day running of  a country they are well and truly out of there depth as ruane and gildernew are proving,it's very hard to know where to turn to up here,the sdlp are not a option as they spend most of there time sniping at sf,at least down there you have options whereas alot of republicans dont here.

Some people have short memories or else unreal expectations.

10 years is a short time for the day to day running of the north to be changed to suit nationalists and unionists alike. It will take atleast twice that to fix the problems the south are now facing no matter who is in Government.

but if you take away the politics so to speak and look at the performance of sf in the day to day running of the north it leaves alot to be desired,ruane has left our education in a complete mess and gildermew anit far behind

I see, you want to take the politics away ::) I think I know what yiou mean though, it's not a short memory you have but unreal expectations.

Education is in a mess as Ruane is trying to take the politics of division out of it. She is probably ahead of her time.

sorry donagh.

remember the people who used to say "no" smash this smash that,scrap that "no" again?then people asked them whats your alternative?guess what they had none,sound familiar?

Zapatista

Quote from: Rossfan on February 23, 2009, 05:20:38 PM
Perhaps Labour/Green alliance is more a plausible left alternative.

If they want to be in opposition for ever and a day.
The only alternative to a FFBuilder led Govt is a FG led one. :-\
At least it would take one load of overfed snouts out of the trough for a while but would it make any more difference?
Talk of left alliances and power etc is just  that - talk.
Labour/Left (not including SF here) wont get any seats in the 3 Ulster Counties,1 in Connacht, prob 1 in Munster outside Cork/Limerick City,3 or 4 in Leinster outside Dublin so out of about 68 Dublin/Cork/Limerick East seats they would need to win at least 45 to make any difference.
Best case scenario for SF - 2 Ulster, 1 Connacht(unlikely) 2 or 3 in Munster,3 Leinster and 4 Dublin = 11.
Sadly looks like the Mayoite  in the blueshirt is the only alternative Taoiseach to Biffo/replacement.

Even if that were the case a left alliance would represent a stronger opposition with Lab leading the opposition rather with support rather than a FF or FG lead one. As FG and FF are pretty much the same it makes the opposition weak.

Zapatista

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on February 23, 2009, 05:24:38 PM

sorry donagh.

remember the people who used to say "no" smash this smash that,scrap that "no" again?then people asked them whats your alternative?guess what they had none,sound familiar?

What?

muppet

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 23, 2009, 12:31:38 PM
I heard on Saturday, though I'm not sure if it was borne from a marching fervour, that the Greens are formulating an exit-strategy to be enacted within the next ten days.

On your point Donagh, when have we ever seen Lefties being able to agree on anything?

I heard a Green (dont know which) say today on the radio that replacing FF with FG would make no difference. This logic leads to a similar conclusion as the 'there is no alternative government' and the 'now is no the time for inexperience' that the media have peddled for the last decade. i.e. A perpetual Fianna Fail led Government.

If we vote in another FF Government next time we deserve to be the 3rd world country that we are becoming.

The alternative doesn't mean voting FG in successive times either. Too long with the sane Government is what got us into the particularly Irish version of the financial crisis that we have at the moment. We shouldn't make the same mistake with another party.

Sinn Féin recently said their solution to the Public Service overspend was to get the private sector to pay for it (by scrapping all tax relief and increasing high level taxes). They don't seem to understand that the private sector already pays for the Public Sector and that same private sector is rapidly getting poorer.

Even Labour try to bring modernish thinking to Left idealogy an certainly wouldn't be seen publicly to be too far Left. While it might seem timely to bang the comrades drum' as capitalism goes into meltdown, remember communism preceded it by 2 decades.

Until SF do the same I don't see them progressing beyond their traditional constituency of Republicans and protest voters.

MWWSI 2017