The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

I miss the old McGregor. He was funny at press conferences and now he's running about hugging and shaking hands.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: JimStynes on January 22, 2021, 10:41:30 PM
I miss the old McGregor. He was funny at press conferences and now he's running about hugging and shaking hands.
What's wrong with that? It's about time he caught himself on.

JimStynes

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on January 22, 2021, 10:56:01 PM

It's not as entertaining. I'm not fooled by this nice guy act either. I like the trash talkers combat sports but I can understand why it's not for everyone.

gallsman

Quote from: JimStynes on January 22, 2021, 11:14:25 PM

It's not as entertaining. I'm not fooled by this nice guy act either. I like the trash talkers combat sports but I can understand why it's not for everyone.

Trash talk is fine as long as there a bit of wit or intelligence to it. McGregor started out exactly like that. He's no idiot and was an interesting guy. Then it descended into nonsense.

The success and money completely changed him and he became increasingly moronic (calling Siver a Nazi, telling Aldo he'd ride into a favela on horseback and kill anyone not fit to work, umpteen things in the build up to the farce with Mayweather, screaming "smell of shite off yer da" at Khabib) etc etc etc. In that wonderfully Irish way of ours, this attracted a whole load of absolute scrotes who find that sort of thing hysterical whilst raiding their CU accounts to get to Vegas every time.

Khabib then took his soul and he was humbled awfully quick. I think he realised you can only sustain that level of twattery if you keep winning so has toned it down considerably. All the apes who climbed aboard the bandwagon are gone so he doesn't have to play to them any more. All for the better in my opinion.

GiveItToTheShooters

If it takes him to start mouthing and acting the dick at a press conference for you to get excited for a fight then i can understand why UFC isn't for you, especially when showing respect to an oppenent is labelled as an act. Casuals are usually what these people are called. 

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: gallsman on January 23, 2021, 12:10:14 AM

Trash talk is fine as long as there a bit of wit or intelligence to it. McGregor started out exactly like that. He's no idiot and was an interesting guy. Then it descended into nonsense.

The success and money completely changed him and he became increasingly moronic (calling Siver a Nazi, telling Aldo he'd ride into a favela on horseback and kill anyone not fit to work, umpteen things in the build up to the farce with Mayweather, screaming "smell of shite off yer da" at Khabib) etc etc etc. In that wonderfully Irish way of ours, this attracted a whole load of absolute scrotes who find that sort of thing hysterical whilst raiding their CU accounts to get to Vegas every time.

Khabib then took his soul and he was humbled awfully quick. I think he realised you can only sustain that level of twattery if you keep winning so has toned it down considerably. All the apes who climbed aboard the bandwagon are gone so he doesn't have to play to them any more. All for the better in my opinion.
Spot on.

JimStynes

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on January 23, 2021, 12:10:25 AM

If it takes him to start mouthing and acting the dick at a press conference for you to get excited for a fight then i can understand why UFC isn't for you, especially when showing respect to an oppenent is labelled as an act. Casuals are usually what these people are called.

Haha f**k me I didn't realise John Kavanagh was on the Gaaboard. Yes I am a casual and I would only watch the UFC when the big fights are on. If it's on TV I'll watch it but I'm a boxing fan. It's the same in boxing though, I always want to watch the trash talkers. If everyone was at it then it would become boring. But the odd character who is a mouthpiece is definitely entertaining. McGregor wouldn't be anywhere near the superstar he is now without doing that. I do agree with Gallsman that he definitely became too much and overstepped the line and started to become pure cringe like the whole Mayweather build up. I was glad to see Diaz beating him that time. He seemed to start to spiral of sc**bag behaviour outside and inside the UFC. But the early McGregor and his press conferences were brilliant.

Hound

Quote from: JimStynes on January 23, 2021, 07:13:02 AM
But the early McGregor and his press conferences were brilliant.
They absolutely were brilliant, but when you get to the top you have to change, you have to mature.

He didn't, but now he was.

McGregor has been brilliant at building up fights through his career. Mostly to agitate opponents to get them to abandon their gameplan.  There's a great clip of the first McGregor-Poirier fight, where Dustin says on camera that he hates him more than anyone he's ever faced - then you see Conor watching that clip on his phone and he's breaking his heart laughing! Job done.

But it all changed with Mayweather, then Khabib: - too forced, too choreographed, and all backfired.

But he's been brilliant this week. Very respectful, while still saying he'll bust him up. I'm admittedly willfully ignoring his private life (and open to criticism in that regard), but professionally I'm liking what I'm seeing and supporting what I'm seeing. He likes Poirier, so he's not pretending otherwise. Keeping some level of honesty to the pe-fight buildup which always has some element of BS.  Anyone moaning about him not being controversial enough is just someone who is evidently more immature than even McGregor!

Poirier should not be underestimated though, even if Conor beat him very easy 7 years ago. Poirier is much better now. Recent wins against Gaethje, Pettis, Holloway mean he is probably the best at this weight apart from Khabib. Dustin is a warrior. If he has the confidence to take it to Conor, he could do real damage. 

It will be very interesting to see how good Chandler is in the co-main.

STREET FIGHTER

Many staying up to watch?

BT Sport or other??

Undecided yet!

Hound

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on January 23, 2021, 09:40:08 PM
Many staying up to watch?

BT Sport or other??

Undecided yet!

If Rory or Shane were contending in a major on the west coast I'd stay up late to watch that.
If Katie had a big fight late on I'd watch that.
I'm not sure how to compare Sam Bennett, but his green jersey in the TdF means I'm hoiping his winning Irish sportstar of 2020 is just a formality as it's an amazing achievement for an Irishman.

IMO it's fantastic to have an Irishman at the elite end of his sport. I've paid the €30 and I'll be watching at 5am. I'm not totally confident of the win, but it'll be an entertaining fight. And while the undercard isn't the greatest undercard in UFC history, it'll still be better than any boxing undercard as there'll be plenty of competitive fights.

JimStynes

All that hugging and shaking hands didn't work this time anyway. He'd be safer retiring

screenexile

Wow! Totally outclassed there by a supposedly weaker fighter.

Conor been shown up badly a few times now is it a case that he made hay early in the UFC and maybe he's not as great as the hype made out??

NotedObserver

Quote from: screenexile on January 24, 2021, 05:45:47 AM

Conor been shown up badly a few times now is it a case that he made hay early in the UFC and maybe he's not as great as the hype made out??

Conor was a Great fighter. Poirer top fighter. Best in division apart from khabib. Hasn't fought enough last few years and catching up with him. I also don't think the boxing coaching has helped at all, not as loose anymore

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: JimStynes on January 24, 2021, 05:44:32 AM
All that hugging and shaking hands didn't work this time anyway. He'd be safer retiring
Stick to the cycling

gawa316

Quote from: screenexile on January 24, 2021, 05:45:47 AM

I thought he was looking solid enough, won the first and then it was over in a flash. Thought at the time the ref stopped it too early but didn't see any complaining from McGregor