Whist

Started by Eamonnca1, December 29, 2016, 04:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StGallsGAA

Quote from: Orior on December 29, 2016, 11:15:51 PM
Quote from: StGallsGAA on December 29, 2016, 11:04:14 PM
45 is the chess of card games while Whist is more like draughts.       Do students still not play 7 Card Whist with mates to win a fast few quid?   It was the rage for 10 years easily  until the mid 90s anyway.

Is 7 card whist the same as contract whist?

No.  7 cards, normal Whist rules.  AKA 7 card sweat.

Eamonnca1

45 is the chess of card games while Whist is more like draughts.       Do students still not play 7 Card Whist with mates to win a fast few quid?   It was the rage for 10 years easily  until the mid 90s anyway.

What are the rules of 45? I always thought Whist was fierce complicated. You had to have a good memory for what cards were already played, and there was tons of situations you could only master through experience. The rules themselves aren't that complex but there's a lot of strategy in it.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Orior on December 29, 2016, 09:32:17 AM
I'm a big fan of contract whist. Great craic especially with one card stuck to your forehead

Can't say I've heard of that one. How does it go?

StGallsGAA

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 29, 2016, 11:35:06 PM

What are the rules of 45? I always thought Whist was fierce complicated. You had to have a good memory for what cards were already played, and there was tons of situations you could only master through experience. The rules themselves aren't that complex but there's a lot of strategy in it.

Very little strategy to Whist as you have to play to suit if you have it in your hand.  In 45 you must play trump if it's led but if another suit is led you can cross with trump at any time.  45 is vastly more complex than whist especially when its played in 4 pairs at a table of 8. 

ziggy90

Quote from: StGallsGAA on December 30, 2016, 11:17:18 AM

Very little strategy to Whist as you have to play to suit if you have it in your hand.  In 45 you must play trump if it's led but if another suit is led you can cross with trump at any time.  45 is vastly more complex than whist especially when its played in 4 pairs at a table of 8.

Even more so when it's played by three groups of three at a table of nine.
25/45 is the King of card games, although, as someone stated earlier, it is dying out through lack of interest from the younger generations.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Dougal Maguire

Good analysis there. 45 is a much more difficult game.
Careful now

johnneycool

Whist was a big game down our way when I was a cub. There'd be Christmas Whist drives organised by the parish and there'd be 200 odd playing at it.

IIRC, the ladies sat one side of the tables and men the others and every time a game was played the losing lady would move down the tables and the losing man up the tables, so you never really played with the same person much unless you were on a winning streak.

Never hear much about them now.

Orior

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 29, 2016, 11:37:39 PM
I'm a big fan of contract whist. Great craic especially with one card stuck to your forehead

In round 1, each player has seven cards. Players must guess the number of tricks that they will win. If they guess correct, then they get an extra ten points. The total of the guesses must not equal the total possible tricks.

Round 2, each player has six cards. Again you guess the number of tricks.

Round 3, each player has five cards

Etc etc
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

johnneycool

Quote from: Orior on December 30, 2016, 02:13:44 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 29, 2016, 11:37:39 PM

In round 1, each player has seven cards. Players must guess the number of tricks that they will win. If they guess correct, then they get an extra ten points. The total of the guesses must not equal the total possible tricks.

Round 2, each player has six cards. Again you guess the number of tricks.

Round 3, each player has five cards

Etc etc

does the one with the most tricks from the last round get to pick the trump suit for the next round?

I've played variants of this, although you never guessed the number of tricks.

johnneycool

Quote from: hardstation on December 30, 2016, 02:50:46 PM
What do you mean tricks? Like pulling cards out from behind a boy's ear and all?

A trick is the winner after everyone has thrown in a card and the highest value card wins.

Normally the person who won the previous trick starts with a card and all the other players must play a card from the same suit as the lead card if they have one. If they don't they can throw in a trump card to win the trick.

Clear as mud?

Eamonnca1

The game you're describing as 45 sounds like the game I know as Whist. I wonder if we're talking at cross purposes. In the Whist I know you play what suit is led but you can trump it.

leenie

In 45 you can also rob if you have the ace of trumps,
Your strongest cards are the fingers, knave and ace of hearts. If trump leads you must follow suit but exceptions made with three best cards if the trump has lower quality.
It's also highest in red to win, lowest in black
If you play partners and are playing for 0's you have to be strategic.
I play most fri nights .. took me ages to get into playing partners as I was so use to playing single also it depends on who you get as your partner
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

whitey

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 29, 2016, 09:38:04 AM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on December 29, 2016, 05:35:26 AM
My grandmother used to play about fifteen years ago. Not sure if the game was in a Ballina or Crossmolina. She taught me back then but I don't remember the rules.

Not sure if there is a game around any more though .

Main one around north mayo pubs would be poker - holdem or 5 card classics, but the rural community centers would run 25 drives through the winter. Pretty sure they are dwindling too tho

Have never played whist and don't know of anywhere around where it's played.

You can pretty much find a regular game of 25 any night of the week in North mayo. Attendances would vary from 10-12 to ~50 I'd say. The age profile is fairly high though.

They call it 25 down in Mayo....never heard it referred to as Whist. My grandmother used to be out 5 nights a week playing all over in pubs and community halls. There used to be huge games in the lead up to Christmas with hundreds playing. I Just checked online and some of the games are still going strong, but I'd say the crowds are thinning out as the old people are passing away.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Windmill abu

Quote from: ziggysego on December 31, 2016, 12:40:59 AM
I play Snap.

While it is an easy game to learn, nevertheless it is played to national level  by the British Osteoporosis Community.
Never underestimate the power of complaining