Getting Programs off a Sky Box

Started by amallon, January 14, 2014, 08:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amallon

What options are available for getting recorded programs off a sky box?  Ideally I'd like to get them onto a PC for safe keeping.

If I pull the hard drive and connect it to a PC what format are the video files in?
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Dougal Maguire

Careful now

rosnarun

what kind of sy box you talking about .I used to do it with the older versions but I have Sky now and haven't worked out a way yet
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Shamrock Shore

I took out a old Sky HDD and hooked up to a pc.

Files are coded so not readable by a pc.

There are software programs out there - but cannot say any of them are any use - that claim to convert Sky box files to mov files.

Would only try this on a sky box that's on its last legs and removing HDD may shag the box.

Main Street

Isn't that usually done  to transfer recorded items from one hd to a  (larger) replacement hd?
Afaia the skybox recorded content is securely decrypted.

There is a tedious way to save skybox recordings, just painstakingly record the items in real time to a dvd recorder or to a computer
http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/skypluscopying.html

I'd only do that with content that I couldn't download from the usual sources.

AZOffaly

Securely encrypted you mean. *nerdy laugh*

Yeah, I tried to do this previously too, and I couldn't. It's a tease having the USB port on the box.

Main Street

I aim to instruct, but also offer some opportunity for a nerd to fill in their nerdy day with at least one little laugh at the expense of a lesser gifted human than them :)

armaghniac

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 07, 2016, 03:29:27 PM

Up there with confusing program with file or programme.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

laoislad

Set up a video camera in front of the TV and record all the shows onto it....!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Main Street

Quote from: armaghniac on December 07, 2016, 05:53:23 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 07, 2016, 03:29:27 PM

Up there with confusing program with file or programme.
Now that's plunging headlong down to farce.

We are dealing with polar opposites.
It's up there with decode/encode, but I'd probably have to explain that difference very slowly to someone like yourself ;D

Take Your Points

Surely it is relatively easy to transfer the programmes by playing them through the HDMI output onto a DVD recorder and if so also a PC set up to produce a DVD.  The next step would be to record to a hard disc on the PC through a HDMI cable.  The down side would be the time required to play programmes to the DVD recorder or PC.

Owenmoresider

I assume it's not possible to do it from a UPC box either?

Smokin Joe

This is one of the main advantages of a zGemma.

Recording on the Hard Drive attached to the Box, but you can easily ftp the recording to a PC.  No longer am I stuck with something recorded but can't watch it as the missus is watching something else on Sky.

JohnDenver

With the correct HDMI splitter that removes the HDCP encryption, it would be possible to split the signal from your SKY+ box so that you could avail of the likes of a dvd recorder or other device that has HDMI in capabilities.