Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoChara

From Facebook

"Congratulations to Neal Peden who has been ratified as Antrim Senior Hurling Team Manager for 2019

Also assisting Neal will be :

Karl McKeegan Selector
Gary O'Kane. Selector
Jim Close Selector
Anthony Daly Advisor

Good luck for the year ahead #Saffs"

Na Glinntí Glasa

good set up of men there. the best of luck to them all for 2019
hurl like f**k boi!

cfclg

https://antrim.gaa.ie/news/collie-donnellys-chairmans-address-at-tonights-convention

I'm agree with this. Lets get rid of them and promote participation rather than elitism.
"Much debate with Liam and his colleagues on development squads has happened over this last year and perhaps a re think on this current model is required."

Another interesting one here regarding fixtures:
"We must change, the current format that perhaps served us well in times past is not working ,we need to be brave in this area, I believe an all county board would go in someway to helping that,with representation from all parts of our county. Once we solve the dual club issue , we would be a fair bit along the road to a better model."

Jeepers Creepers

No mention of St Galls Intermediate Hurling campaign?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on December 04, 2018, 12:59:12 PM

Played Queens and Jordanstown lately, yourselves on the 15th and Castleblaney at some point, its going to be tough for us Nial Burke and McInerney provide the backbone of this team we play. they'd be the best team to come out of Galway I'd say as Galway have never won at this level before, We've about 5 players out with injuries at the minute but all should be available for selection come the 19th of Jan..

We'd need to be at are very best and Oranmore have a stinker to get over the line, but these lads have been down that road before so we'll give it a lash.. It could well be the last go at this level, lot of lads nearing the age of hanging up the boots
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 04, 2018, 01:25:19 PM

Played Queens and Jordanstown lately, yourselves on the 15th and Castleblaney at some point, its going to be tough for us Nial Burke and McInerney provide the backbone of this team we play. they'd be the best team to come out of Galway I'd say as Galway have never won at this level before, We've about 5 players out with injuries at the minute but all should be available for selection come the 19th of Jan..

We'd need to be at are very best and Oranmore have a stinker to get over the line, but these lads have been down that road before so we'll give it a lash.. It could well be the last go at this level, lot of lads nearing the age of hanging up the boots
What's the pipeline like?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 04, 2018, 01:39:33 PM

Great work being done, and things were going great but we pulled our minor hurling team this year!! and that team would have been decent enough, we've low numbers hurling and I honestly think we are going backwards.. We've a huge think tank approach this week at the club, people looking to sit down and plan ahead for the hurling future.

We've a great wee under 12 team that won the Belfast Nipper Quinn championship this year, they also won the football, so we'll see how these lads develop and progress into the adult teams..

Senior football or senior hurling! the struggles of a dual club
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 04, 2018, 01:53:41 PM

Great work being done, and things were going great but we pulled our minor hurling team this year!! and that team would have been decent enough, we've low numbers hurling and I honestly think we are going backwards.. We've a huge think tank approach this week at the club, people looking to sit down and plan ahead for the hurling future.

We've a great wee under 12 team that won the Belfast Nipper Quinn championship this year, they also won the football, so we'll see how these lads develop and progress into the adult teams..

Young lad Austin on that U12's is a fine young hurler, will be interesting to see how he develops through the years.
Has a bit of athleticism about him.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on December 04, 2018, 02:56:03 PM

Young lad Austin on that U12's is a fine young hurler, will be interesting to see how he develops through the years.

We've had a lot of players like him over the past few years and lost them, now should he continue to improve then that team should improve with him, kids learn off each other and thats a positive going forward..

hopefully that team sticks together, we've won Nipper Quinns in the past lately and that team ended up not fielding at minor! The same minor team that got to the county final! And beat by a dual club who won both!

Keeping them away from football is the key  8)

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 04, 2018, 03:59:26 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on December 04, 2018, 02:56:03 PM

We've had a lot of players like him over the past few years and lost them, now should he continue to improve then that team should improve with him, kids learn off each other and thats a positive going forward..

hopefully that team sticks together, we've won Nipper Quinns in the past lately and that team ended up not fielding at minor! The same minor team that got to the county final! And beat by a dual club who won both!

Keeping them away from football is the key  8)

Is this not part of the problem that these tournaments are built up to be a big deal and then past feile nothing seems to matter.

Milltown Row2

16 is a difficult age NAG1, parents are happy that their kids are down hurling and footballing to a certain age, then once kids hit 4th year its all about the studying, and time to fit in both hurling and football training and studying and homework!  the lads generally start picking their times that suit them, the joy of winning Nipper Quinn or Feile is lost..

Holding on to the kids is the hardest part, the lure of a successful football team is easier it seems to work with

Gall the way

Quote from: cfclg on December 04, 2018, 12:43:32 PM
https://antrim.gaa.ie/news/collie-donnellys-chairmans-address-at-tonights-convention

I'm agree with this. Lets get rid of them and promote participation rather than elitism.
"Much debate with Liam and his colleagues on development squads has happened over this last year and perhaps a re think on this current model is required."

"We must change, the current format that perhaps served us well in times past is not working ,we need to be brave in this area, I believe an all county board would go in someway to helping that,with representation from all parts of our county. Once we solve the dual club issue , we would be a fair bit along the road to a better model."

Have to disagree with your development squad statement- "get rid of them." Like it or lump it, our games are there to be won! The definition of elite comes up as "a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group."
Is this not essentially where we would love Antrim to be at? Winning all-Ireland's or at least competing at the top level?
Given the fact that Dev squads in Antrim accommodated  the guts of 40 kids from each age group each year, that will total approx 160 kids each year getting to train and play at a higher level on what I would consider a very irregular basis. They are still available to clubs 6 other days of the week and sometimes 13 other days of a fortnight.
The likelihood of all these players playing senior intercounty is slim, but they do go back into the club system a more educated and seasoned player with experience at playing intercounty level at their respective age.
The county have numerous fixtures and competitions for "participation" at all age groups. So much so that many other clubs from other counties join our leagues to play in them! The Antrim staff (as far as I know) work in schools to provide the experience of the GAA to try to increase participation too. Although I'm still of the opinion that if a club want more kids they need to do a bit of work themselves, Davitts and St Endas being prime examples of what can be achieved from club coaches in schools.
Every other county has development squads also, and the top counties (whether allowed too or not) take their kids for more sessions than one a week at certain times of the year.
My son has played in Dev squads this last 3 years and the education as a player and a person that he has received has been top class.
Excuse me if I sound negative but I'd rather leave the fate of Dev squads in Antrim in the hands of Antrim staff instead of the likes of a chairman stepping down, with absolutely no experience in Dev squads, other than turning up one day for a photo,  when Liam Sheedy took a session for the Celtic Challenge winning squad.
Go learn about what the squads and VOLUNTEER coaches do before slamming their efforts for OUR county, and if possible, go see how effective they are for other counties too!

maxpower

The principle of Development Squads is fine and honourable and the work the coaches do is admirable.  However the benefits are negligible overall.  Certainly in my experience in Antrim.

Is the coaching any better than the boys would get at their own clubs, maybe but i'm Not sure.  What I am sure off is the impact taking the best players out of a club session has on that session.  I am sure the stop start nature of our fixtures is harming the development of the larger body of players. 

I believe a rising tide lifts all boats and rather than us try and accommodate dev squads into a hugely congested Calendar we would be better served sorting the fixture issue.  Supporting clubs that cannot provide quality coaching and looking at amalgamations for clubs struggling to field.

Just isn't the room for a proper club season, schools, county teams and dev squads! IMHO

What happens next????

cfclg

Quote from: Gall the way on December 06, 2018, 12:15:08 AM

Have to disagree with your development squad statement- "get rid of them." Like it or lump it, our games are there to be won! The definition of elite comes up as "a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group."
Is this not essentially where we would love Antrim to be at? Winning all-Ireland's or at least competing at the top level?
Given the fact that Dev squads in Antrim accommodated  the guts of 40 kids from each age group each year, that will total approx 160 kids each year getting to train and play at a higher level on what I would consider a very irregular basis. They are still available to clubs 6 other days of the week and sometimes 13 other days of a fortnight.
The likelihood of all these players playing senior intercounty is slim, but they do go back into the club system a more educated and seasoned player with experience at playing intercounty level at their respective age.
The county have numerous fixtures and competitions for "participation" at all age groups. So much so that many other clubs from other counties join our leagues to play in them! The Antrim staff (as far as I know) work in schools to provide the experience of the GAA to try to increase participation too. Although I'm still of the opinion that if a club want more kids they need to do a bit of work themselves, Davitts and St Endas being prime examples of what can be achieved from club coaches in schools.
Every other county has development squads also, and the top counties (whether allowed too or not) take their kids for more sessions than one a week at certain times of the year.
My son has played in Dev squads this last 3 years and the education as a player and a person that he has received has been top class.
Excuse me if I sound negative but I'd rather leave the fate of Dev squads in Antrim in the hands of Antrim staff instead of the likes of a chairman stepping down, with absolutely no experience in Dev squads, other than turning up one day for a photo,  when Liam Sheedy took a session for the Celtic Challenge winning squad.
Go learn about what the squads and VOLUNTEER coaches do before slamming their efforts for OUR county, and if possible, go see how effective they are for other counties too!

All entitled to our opinions obv but I'm going to correct you on this last statement.

I am a volunteer in my own club and coach the u16 hurlers and footballers. I know first hand the impact development squads have on 99% of kids that aren't on them. Our county would be better served getting the basics right first, gaining high levels of participation , having regular fixtures for all etc before putting the icing on the cake with development squads. We are putting the cart before the horse in my opinion.

Gall the way

Quote from: cfclg on December 06, 2018, 10:10:34 AM
Quote from: Gall the way on December 06, 2018, 12:15:08 AM

All entitled to our opinions obv but I'm going to correct you on this last statement.

I am a volunteer in my own club and coach the u16 hurlers and footballers. I know first hand the impact development squads have on 99% of kids that aren't on them. Our county would be better served getting the basics right first, gaining high levels of participation , having regular fixtures for all etc before putting the icing on the cake with development squads. We are putting the cart before the horse in my opinion.

Sorry just to clarify I meant the volunteer coaches within the squads; not the clubs. I have also coached this past 3 years in our club and to be quite honest with you I love to see our lads head off to squads. Having said that- they train on a Saturday, so I still got my county players back for my club training midweek. We avoided Saturdays so not only do they get a club hurling session in, but those lads also got an extra session in with the county= more hurling. Your clash could be different if your u16s are part of the minor county panel and they train more??

Maxpower-  with regards to the coaching standards, I'm not sure how we define a good coach (if im honest), but I do know my young lad loved every minute of it. When you mention, the impact it has on players at the club session I assume you mean minor squads who might train more often through the week? As most Dev squads went on Saturday mornings it is easy to move your club sessions around this (especially in Belfast where there is also a clash with soccer). With regards to the development squads fixtures (not minor) "in a congested calendar" they have 5 dates set aside for dev squads every year- Ive been told before that this is the same every year as the GAA keep a handle on this and dont allow it to go past 5 dates. I don't see how 5 dates are a massive problem tbh, especially considering they are on Saturdays too.

I do agree that we need more participants- 100%! Our club struggle with numbers at certain age groups too, and I do understand the question- what about the other players- thats where I would've took the time to work with these lads on their weaknesses. But what about the good players? Why would I hold them back and stop them gaining invaluable experience playing around the country? I dont think a club/countys inability to get more players should hinder a good players chance to progress further.

Just my opinion.