The Official THFC thread

Started by Owenmoresider, October 25, 2007, 08:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC Unique

Quote from: Main Street on February 25, 2013, 11:12:06 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on February 25, 2013, 11:01:12 PM
If Bale doesn't win POTY by a mile,there's no justice.Head and shoulders the best player in EPL.
Bales advertises Head and Shoulders?

I thought that was Joe Harte..

nrico2006

RVP has been the player of the year so far, with Mata coming in close second.  As mentioned, these awards are usually decided in January so I can't see Bale getting it. 

As for comparing him to Ronaldo and Messi, they are in a different league.  Bales goal scoring return is not near good enough to be talked in the same sentence as these two.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Canalman

From what I have seen/ read anyone who compares GB to Messi or Ronaldo does it mischievously to make the point that it is absurd to do so.
In fairness for a "one trick pony" he is hard to handle in the premiership.

Imvho Spurs thrive when both he and Lennon  (not often enough)play as the space is always there when the defence doubles up on Bale.

If I remember correctly he was being slagged some years ago due to the fact that Spurs lost every game he started. Might be wrong in that though.

Seems a sound bloke by the way.

Don't think Spurs will get away with selling him. Fans would go nuts.

thewobbler

The reason why he is being compared to Messi/Ronaldo is that he is one of the few players in the world who has the potential to get close to that exalted pair.

He's not at their level, and in all likelihood won't get to their level, as they're two of the greatest players of all time.

Let's remember that before those pair took over football, the likes of George Weah, Ronaldo (fat), Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, and Baggio were feted as the best players in the world in turn. All brilliant players, but none of them scored 50 goals every season. Or even any season. The bar is considerably higher now.

It's just so rare to see a player who can shoot, pass, cross, and dribble with the best in the league, but can also run quicker than just about anyone in football - that the plaudits have to be understandable.

Dinny Breen

Always a good laugh this thread

Bale
2012/13 Barclays Premier League
GAMES   GOALS   ASSISTS   SHOTS
24                15          1   112

Walcott
23                11          8   62

Nobody would call Walcott world class.

We really live in a world gone mad with hyperbola!!!!
#newbridgeornowhere

ballinaman

Quote from: T Fearon on February 25, 2013, 11:01:12 PM
If Bale doesn't win POTY by a mile,there's no justice.Head and shoulders the best player in EPL.
Since christmas, yes....isn't the POTY vote done in January though? I like the way he has copied Ronaldo's free kick style, monkey see monkey do as they say.

thewobbler

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 26, 2013, 11:58:10 AM

Bale

Walcott

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/in-gifs-gareth-bales-8-sensational-spurs-goals-in-just-6-games/

Hyperbole, yes. But stats don't tell the full story, also yes.

EC Unique

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 26, 2013, 11:58:10 AM

Bale

Walcott

1 assist is very poor for winger at this stage of the season.

EC Unique

Rio has spoken...

RIO FERDINAND has told those who reckon Gareth Bale is on the same level as Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi: You don't know what you're talking about.
Tottenham ace Bale is in the form of his life having scored eight goals in his last six games, including a match-winning double in the 3-2 win over West Ham on Monday.

The Welsh wizard is the frontrunner for the PFA Player of the Year, which players will start casting their votes for in the next few days.

But Manchester United star Ferdinand doesn't think Bale has reached the same heights as mega stars Ronaldo and Messi just yet.

The former England defender wrote on Twitter: "People mentioning Bale in the same breath as @Cristiano + Messi really don't know football! Bale been 1 of best 2 in PL this year but....

"He is not on CR7 + Messi's level yet...he carries on doing what he is doing for 2/3yrs then there can be a debate.

"Bale showed me a clean pair of heals once this year so I'm in good position to judge! CR7 + Messi have been on another planet for 4-5yrs #consistent #KeepItClean"

T Fearon

I can think of no other player , including the Portuguese ponce, who has single handedly won so many games as Bale has done this season.I certainly wouldnt swap him for Ronaldo, though he probably is some way short of Messi at the moment.

michaelg

Quote from: T Fearon on February 27, 2013, 10:39:28 PM
I can think of no other player , including the Portuguese ponce, who has single handedly won so many games as Bale has done this season.I certainly wouldnt swap him for Ronaldo, though he probably is some way short of Messi at the moment.
Are you being serious?

T Fearon

Totally.Alright scoring goals against minor Spanidh teams.

michaelg

Quote from: T Fearon on February 27, 2013, 10:45:28 PM
136 goals in 125 matches is a bit better than alright is it not?

imtommygunn

Captain Obvious

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 27, 2013, 11:14:42 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on February 27, 2013, 10:45:28 PM
Like barca?
Ronaldo has scored a dozen goals against Barcelona.