Congress

Started by Baile BrigĂ­n 2, March 01, 2021, 02:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eire90

They can choose game that are close

rodney trotter

Friday night would only work if it was local Derby teams playing against each other.  Dublin and Kildare or Monaghan and Armagh. Even then there might be compilations with work.

thewobbler

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2021, 09:38:39 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on October 14, 2021, 09:32:10 PM
why dont rte show friday night or early saturday afternoon games for divsion 3 and 4 if proposal b happens to give them exposure try and pick the most important game of the week in those leagues.

So players/coaches/supporters of counties should travel on a Friday night 100+ miles after work to a game and another 100+ and get home after midnight? To satisfy who?

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that there'll be 1-2 Friday night games every week. Just a bit of commonsense needs shown. Run through each the fixtures. If the county grounds of those involved are more than 50km apart, rule it out. And if none meet that criteria, then there's no Friday night game that week. Pick a match or two from what's left.

Don't try to tell me the players, supporters and media wouldn't get a tremendous lift from a standalone prime time a lot on national tv. Especially a D4 or D3 county.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thewobbler on October 14, 2021, 09:49:20 PM
why dont rte show friday night or early saturday afternoon games for divsion 3 and 4 if proposal b happens to give them exposure try and pick the most important game of the week in those leagues.

So players/coaches/supporters of counties should travel on a Friday night 100+ miles after work to a game and another 100+ and get home after midnight? To satisfy who?

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that there'll be 1-2 Friday night games every week. Just a bit of commonsense needs shown. Run through each the fixtures. If the county grounds of those involved are more than 50km apart, rule it out. And if none meet that criteria, then there's no Friday night game that week. Pick a match or two from what's left.

Don't try to tell me the players, supporters and media wouldn't get a tremendous lift from a standalone prime time a lot on national tv. Especially a D4 or D3 county.

So let's get this straight, teams prepare a good hour before the games nowadays, good pre match meal then head off to somewhere 50 + miles, to play under lights possibly depending on time of year, for what? And as supporters they give up their time also?

So I'm working on a building site till five on a Friday then prep for a game at county level.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 14, 2021, 09:46:55 PM
Friday night would only work if it was local Derby teams playing against each other.  Dublin and Kildare or Monaghan and Armagh. Even then there might be compilations with work.
The GAA scheduled Dublin v Kildare in the 2013 NFL for a Friday night at Croke Park. Kildare refused to play on the Friday and it was moved to the Sunday, which turned out to be probably the coldest day of the entire year. I didn't go. Liverpool and Spurs on the box looked more attractive as a spectacle and was more attractive as a spectacle.

thewobbler

MR2 there's club championship games being played midweek all across Ireland at the minute. Often in grounds an hour away from home.

The prep is the same. The travel is the same. The floodlights are the same. And pro rata the stakes are the same.

If it's 1-2 times a year everyone gets on board with it.

Honestly think you're overplaying this one.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thewobbler on October 14, 2021, 10:25:39 PM
MR2 there's club championship games being played midweek all across Ireland at the minute. Often in grounds an hour away from home.

The prep is the same. The travel is the same. The floodlights are the same. And pro rata the stakes are the same.

County and club is different. County league and club league different as is championship also different, they ain't players all from one side of the county, they possibly 60/70 miles away from a meeting point to head another 50/60 miles?

Look it's my view if you think it's viable the crack on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: sid waddell on October 14, 2021, 10:24:01 PM
The GAA scheduled Dublin v Kildare in the 2013 NFL for a Friday night at Croke Park. Kildare refused to play on the Friday and it was moved to the Sunday, which turned out to be probably the coldest day of the entire year. I didn't go. Liverpool and Spurs on the box looked more attractive as a spectacle and was more attractive as a spectacle.

I remember being at the Armagh Down NFL match on a Friday night a few seasons back. Never was as cold at a match in me life. And Down won with a late goal to round  off a great  night!!

sid waddell

Quote from: Rossfan on October 13, 2021, 11:36:26 AM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/1012/1253361-league-based-all-ireland-potentially-worth-10m-to-gaa/

Goodbye Proposal B, and good riddance.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40721610.html

GAA finance department dismiss claim 'Proposal B' is the lucrative option for championship reform

Inflated attendance claims and not accounting for juvenile tickets in the calendar review taskforce model was cited for the counterclaim

thewobbler

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2021, 10:33:52 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 14, 2021, 10:25:39 PM

County and club is different. County league and club league different as is championship also different, they ain't players all from one side of the county, they possibly 60/70 miles away from a meeting point to head another 50/60 miles?

Look it's my view if you think it's viable the crack on

I'm just trying to open the eyes a bit wider.

Most of Co Armagh is closer to Newry than half of Co Down is. Half of Tyrone is close to Ballybofey the. half of Donegal is. It's a situation that has to be replicated in half the counties of Ireland. Travel times for neighbouring counties for a Friday night game won't be an issue.

BennyCake

Here's a question

If proposal B is passed, which basically makes provincials irrelevant,  what would be the point of building Casement?

Some might say what's  the point of building it anyway? But you know what I mean. Casement will likely hold Ulster finals. So if the ulster championship becomes a meaningless pre season competition likethe McKenna cup, it could be played in the moy or somewhere, for all that's going to attend.

Antrim are unlikely to fill Casement, so if the Ulster championship  becomes as dead as the emu, why build Casement?

Milltown Row2

Like said if people think it's a good idea then crack on, I did the games at Croke one Saturday night, Dubs were playing a hurling football doubleheader, great night and was lucky enough to get the tickets from a great aul poster on here, Budweiser, but it was a Saturday.

If I lived in Ballycastle and was part of the county team and we were playing Dublin senior hurling, 7.30 throw in, what time would I need to be heading to a game at? Now remember I'm working till 5

Captain Obvious

Quote from: sid waddell on October 14, 2021, 10:37:44 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 13, 2021, 11:36:26 AM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/1012/1253361-league-based-all-ireland-potentially-worth-10m-to-gaa/

Goodbye Proposal B, and good riddance.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40721610.html

GAA finance department dismiss claim 'Proposal B' is the lucrative option for championship reform

Inflated attendance claims and not accounting for juvenile tickets in the calendar review taskforce model was cited for the counterclaim

Make you wonder what Conor O'Donoghue was at.  Inflated attendance claims certainly as I said at the time not hope would Pre season provincial leagues played in February and March will get that type revenue.

Rossfan

Quote from: sid waddell on October 14, 2021, 10:24:01 PM
What a great GAA man!!! ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Armagh18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2021, 10:20:48 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 14, 2021, 09:49:20 PM

So let's get this straight, teams prepare a good hour before the games nowadays, good pre match meal then head off to somewhere 50 + miles, to play under lights possibly depending on time of year, for what? And as supporters they give up their time also?

So I'm working on a building site till five on a Friday then prep for a game at county level.
There's not too many lads working on building sites playing county and theres not too many lads that'll be on site to 5 especially on a Friday but I get what you're saying.