Mayo v Dublin Sat 2nd March - 7pm Croke Park

Started by Fuzzman, February 13, 2013, 04:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

Gavin has named dummy teams for the first two league games . Have a feeling he'll do the same again. Will be interesting to see whether anyof the U21's will play on the night so Mayo lads don't hold out too much hope of seeing McCaffrey ;)

subs list given as well:
Shane Supple St Brigid's
Denis Bastick Templeogue Synge Street
Bryan Cullen Skerries Harps
Nicky Devereux Ballinteer St John's
Craig Dias Kilmacud Crokes
Chris Guckian St Jude's
Ciarán Kilkenny Castleknock
Eric Lowndes St Peregrine's
Kevin McManamon St Jude's
Paddy Quinn Na Fianna
Philip Ryan St Brigid's

Crete Boom

Quote from: heffo on March 01, 2013, 10:19:20 AM
Quote from: Crete Boom on March 01, 2013, 10:13:11 AM
I don't know much of the Dubs team but that's a very tasty full forward line of Andrews, Brogan and Connolly and it could be a long day for our lads at the back!

I doubt Connolly will play tbh

That's a pity (well maybe not for Mayo) I always enjoy his off the cuff natural style. Is that the hurler Tomas Brady at no 11 for the Dubs and who do you think will start instead of Connolly?

heffo

Quote from: Crete Boom on March 01, 2013, 10:37:23 AM
I don't know much of the Dubs team but that's a very tasty full forward line of Andrews, Brogan and Connolly and it could be a long day for our lads at the back!

That's a pity (well maybe not for Mayo) I always enjoy his off the cuff natural style. Is that the hurler Tomas Brady at no 11 for the Dubs and who do yo think will start instead of Connolly?

Thats the Hurler alright - if Connolly doesn't start then I'd expect Kilkenny in

Hard to know though with the U21's at home to Longford next Wednesday

Canalman

Mayo look the better team on paper and if we lose no harm imvho. Nice to see younger players getting a chance and hopefully some of them nail a championship place by the end of the league.

Nelson is a very tidy player and thought he would be a regular in the team by now. Likewise Devereux who I see is on the subs bench.

Agree to a degree with Declan about Declan O'Mahony. Was a great underage player and is still a great club player. Needs to take these chances and hopefully he does as we need another midfielder to take some of the pressure off MDMA.

Hound

Quote from: heffo on March 01, 2013, 10:39:33 AM
Quote from: Crete Boom on March 01, 2013, 10:37:23 AM

That's a pity (well maybe not for Mayo) I always enjoy his off the cuff natural style. Is that the hurler Tomas Brady at no 11 for the Dubs and who do yo think will start instead of Connolly?

Thats the Hurler alright - if Connolly doesn't start then I'd expect Kilkenny in

Hard to know though with the U21's at home to Longford next Wednesday
Unless Dessie has specifically requested that they play, I don't think any of the U21s will feature. Flynn is also a big injury doubt.

Croí na hÉireann

Yeah I would be surprised if any U21s feature for Dublin this weekend. Wish we had that option.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Fuzzman

Why the hell did they fix a U21 match before a league game?
Surely they must have thought of that.

Have ye any U21 matches on the 16th March?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 01, 2013, 12:19:46 PM
Why the hell did they fix a U21 match before a league game?
Surely they must have thought of that.

Have ye any U21 matches on the 16th March?

In 2006 if I remember rightly Mayo played Cork in the Under-21 All-Ireland Final in Ennis clashed with a Mayo hurling game the opposite end of the country where Mayo lost by 1 point without their best point takers Keith Higgins. If I remember rightly it was against Kerry who went on to lose the next game to Dublin by 1 point who went on to join Div 1. Maybe I got this wrong, memory is hazy, anyone else remember this?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

muppet

Quote from: heffo on March 01, 2013, 08:44:07 AM
Weak Dublin team - Mayo have a far stronger and experienced team out

Strong Dublin team and amazing bench. Might stay at home.
MWWSI 2017

Declan

QuoteWeak Dublin team - Mayo have a far stronger and experienced team out

Will the pair of ye move to Kerry ;)

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Declan on March 01, 2013, 01:47:27 PM
QuoteWeak Dublin team - Mayo have a far stronger and experienced team out

Will the pair of ye move to Kerry ;)

Lots of Yerra refugees making their ways to the Broadways of Dublin, Hills of Donegal, Banks of the Lee and the Soft and Craggy Boglands, Tall Magestic Hills these days, sure thats where the football is at.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Canalman on March 01, 2013, 10:42:56 AM
Mayo look the better team on paper and if we lose no harm imvho. Nice to see younger players getting a chance and hopefully some of them nail a championship place by the end of the league.

Nelson is a very tidy player and thought he would be a regular in the team by now. Likewise Devereux who I see is on the subs bench.

Agree to a degree with Declan about Declan O'Mahony. Was a great underage player and is still a great club player. Needs to take these chances and hopefully he does as we need another midfielder to take some of the pressure off MDMA.

I thought Dublin would select stronger team and with so many players to return a defeat here will be no harm. How long is Alan Brogan out for?

macdanger2

Cian O'Sullivan named at midfield?? He'll hardly line out there, will he??

Hound

O'Sullivan played midfield the last day, did reasonably well, but should be tested more this time.

Alan Brogan is back training with the Dubs this week. Might get a run off the bench v Kildare, but its likely to be at least a further week before he's back in contention to start.

bucko

Happy enough with the Mayo selection for Saturday, Keegan and McLoughlin back in their best positions, why Horan had to experiment with those 2 baffles me slightly. 2 of our best players from last year in those positions, for me it was definitely a situation of if it ain't broke don't fix it! O'Shea at 11 is definitely worth looking at given the options we have at midfield. O'Shea is playing serious stuff at midfield, but I thought last year he was on the ball more in our half of the field than in the opposition half. I reckon even though he'll have 11 on his back he will play a more midfield role with bigger emphasis on attacking. You think back to the strength and power he showed when carrying the ball in the AIF, running at the opposition, breaking tackles and drawing frees. Horan probably felt he needed to do something with the half forward line given its failure to link up all the possession we had with the FF line v Tyrone.