Mayo v Dublin Sat 2nd March - 7pm Croke Park

Started by Fuzzman, February 13, 2013, 04:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-refuse-to-volunteer-for-overtime-at-croke-park-match-tonight-586653.html

Gardaí have refused to volunteer for overtime at a football match in Croke Park in Dublin this evening.

This is the first major disruption to public policing as part of the garda protest against pay cuts.

The move will have a knock-on effect across Dublin as foot patrols in the city will have to be reduced to allow gardaí to police the stadium.

The Irish Times estimates that around 80 staff will have to be taken off the streets and reassigned to duty at Croke Park.

President of the Garda Representative Association John Parker said the withdrawal of goodwill was not designed to impact on the public.

"Garda management have the ability to redirect normal rostered resources throughout the Dublin metropolitan region," he said, "and to direct non-rostered gardaí to perform duties in the environs of the stadium."

And so it begins. If this is the course of action the GRA takes then Gárda Management may decide to stop policing the games later this year.
MWWSI 2017

spuds

Any radio station doing live coverage tonight in Dublin ?
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Lar Naparka

Quote from: muppet on March 02, 2013, 11:52:44 AM
http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-refuse-to-volunteer-for-overtime-at-croke-park-match-tonight-586653.html

Gardaí have refused to volunteer for overtime at a football match in Croke Park in Dublin this evening.

This is the first major disruption to public policing as part of the garda protest against pay cuts.

The move will have a knock-on effect across Dublin as foot patrols in the city will have to be reduced to allow gardaí to police the stadium.

The Irish Times estimates that around 80 staff will have to be taken off the streets and reassigned to duty at Croke Park.

President of the Garda Representative Association John Parker said the withdrawal of goodwill was not designed to impact on the public.

"Garda management have the ability to redirect normal rostered resources throughout the Dublin metropolitan region," he said, "and to direct non-rostered gardaí to perform duties in the environs of the stadium."

And so it begins. If this is the course of action the GRA takes then Gárda Management may decide to stop policing the games later this year.
Yes, there will be serious problems in the coming months over this. The GRA are in no mood for compromise and always took a hardline approach when it came to protecting the rights of their members.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

joemamas

Re Ger Brennanns sending off.I fely from the beginning that Paul Earley was not in love with Mayo but his comments and analysis of the sending off was disgraceful.Mike Finnerty needs to grow a pair and contradict him.

emmetryan

Hi guys,

Tactical analysis of Dublin's win over Mayo now up here http://action81.com/blog/?p=6807

Emmet
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

ballinaman

As Willie Joe put it on mayogaablog..dumb and dumber. Stupid decisions time and time again after the sending off. Won't be within an ass's roar of Sam until we start playing with the head. high balls into conroy ffs...pass on from SOS when goal on...

Mano

Ger will have to say a few extra prayers tonight after that slap, kick, elbow combination

Syferus

Quote from: joemamas on March 02, 2013, 08:08:29 PM
Re Ger Brennanns sending off.I fely from the beginning that Paul Earley was not in love with Mayo but his comments and analysis of the sending off was disgraceful.Mike Finnerty needs to grow a pair and contradict him.

Of all the people you could choose to say they have it in for Mayo you selected perhaps the worst choice in the country.

Hound

Quote from: Mano on March 02, 2013, 11:00:05 PM
Ger will have to say a few extra prayers tonight after that slap, kick, elbow combination
Some boyo. If he was a Muslim, he'd be a suicide bomber!

Otherwise a very open and exciting game, as is often the case when these two collide. Nice to get the win in the circumstances. Berno was pretty good!

Farrandeelin

I was going to write up a brief synopsis as to what happened last night at a quarter to one, but tiredness got the better of me and I said I'd sleep first before I wrote anything down.

The one striking thing from the first half was our inability to win any high ball at midfield. YeThe half bact our goalie rearly varied his long kickouts to that sector. When we did get those 6 points in a row, we used the flanks and the spaces very well to be fair. Is Chris Barrett the man for the corner back position? I don't think so. I don't think he's good enough at all, but I suppose our other options (bar M. Walsh, who I've yet to see play much in no 2) would be caught for pace last night. Dublin off the ball running was fantastic by the way.

The two wingbacks did ok I thought. Vaughan did well on Brady, but Dublin made a switch early on and hauled Brady off. Why oh why does James Horan leave things until the second half to make any sort of a change is beyond me. And it was an effective change at that. I thought Vaughan was poor at what he should be doing manning the centre, but then again he's never had that real consistency has he?

I don't think AOS cuts it at number 11. He made a bit of a difference when moved to midfield in the second half early on and we were getting on top. That was until Ger Brennan's dismissal. I suppose McLoughlin would say he had better days in the green and red shirt, likewise Richie Feeney. Inside forwards were doing their best, but long high balls ballooned in on top of them did not work. Next time outfield players need to kick low balls in to them, or else put Barry Moran in full forward. It might work if you give long high balls into him. Doherty was my pick of the forwards.

Finally Bernard Brogan was the pick of all the players on show. I sincerely hope that was a one off bad performance from Cafferkey. By God, Brogan was brilliant last night. You could see from the word go, he was on fire. However, from a Mayo point of view what was worrying, was Caff's inability to hold possession, i.e. fumbling it to Brogan.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

cadence

Quote from: emmetryan on March 02, 2013, 10:07:00 PM
Hi guys,

Tactical analysis of Dublin's win over Mayo now up here http://action81.com/blog/?p=6807

Emmet

nice one emmet.

you say mayo didn't pressurise the ball carrier like they normally do. they must have been doing that for a reason, that only they know. no other way to explain that.

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 02, 2013, 05:44:54 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 02, 2013, 11:52:44 AM

Yes, there will be serious problems in the coming months over this. The GRA are in no mood for compromise and always took a hardline approach when it came to protecting the rights of their members.

Yeah. Apparently some of them are going to have to make do with 2 holidays this year. God love them.

heffo

Good win by a very experimental Dublin team against a strong Mayo team.

Semi-finals looking good.

highorlow

QuoteHi guys,

Emmet

nice one emmet.

you say mayo didn't pressurise the ball carrier like they normally do. they must have been doing that for a reason, that only they know. no other way to explain that.

Good article. Just wondering though with a game like last night that is played at such a pace things have to happen at a spur of the moment? I would say tis more passion than tactics that come into things? I think it should have been worth mentioning Cluxtons shortish kick outs in the middle of the 2nd half that Mayo slept through. I think Kilkenny was unmarked on three occasions.

As you have alluded to James Horan certainly didn't have any 'tactic' for the 5 down with 5 mins to play scenario.

There was consistency on display from Mayo with the 5 or 6 usual suspects in team that are not up to this level maintaining a non-improvement. Safe to say they will be picked again the next day though.

We are going nowhere under this manager I'm afraid. Pity because it is not for the want of trying from the players.

Maybe when Andy Moran comes back he might start to paper over the cracks again.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Tubberman

Quote from: highorlow on March 03, 2013, 01:45:18 PM
QuoteHi guys,

Emmet

nice one emmet.

Good article. Just wondering though with a game like last night that is played at such a pace things have to happen at a spur of the momenti would say tis more passion than tactics that come into things?

As you have alluded to James Horan certainly didn't have any 'tactic' for the 5 down with 5 mins to play scenario.

There was consistency on display from Mayo with the 5 or 6 usual suspects in team that are not up to this level maintaining a non-improvement. Safe to say they will be picked again the next day though.

We are going nowhere under this manager I'm afraid. Pity because it is not for the want of trying from the players.

Maybe when Andy Moran comes back he might start to paper over the cracks again.

Horan had a poor night alright, the substitutions left me scratching my head and our use of the extra man was atrocious.
But to say he's holding us back and the players are doing well despite him is absolutely ridiculous and is a completely unwarrented insult to him.
Do you remember where we were in 2010?? We also had many of the same players then.
Dillon was badly missed last night - he would have brought the intelligence on the ball and bit of creativity that was badly lacking.
But we were missing possibly our 3 best forwards in Andy, Cillian and Dillon. It's not the end of the world.

If the Dublin supporters around me were anything to go by, they were a lot more up for the game than we were. Some of those supporters were headers - we were called "Muckahs" and monkeys and a fella threatened to punch me in the face because of Mayo's tackling, which was a bit baffling...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."