Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dire Ear

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 13, 2019, 11:50:01 AM
I wasn't at that game but I heard from others that the Kerry fans were a disgrace that day. The language and hatred they had before and during the game was a real eye opener for many.
Then when they had us beaten they mellowed and were all patronising and smug as if they had finally put us back in our place. Yes most of them have a lot of respect for Mickey Harte but had we have beaten them that day I'm not so sure would they have been so pleased to look for autographs and wish the lads well on the way home.
I've always found that with Kerry people, lovely when they're beating you but in 2008 final I was sitting in the middle of loads and before the game not one would chat to me or have the craic. As soon as game was over they were away.
All 100%

Norf Tyrone

I'm finding it hard to resist the quote button on here but I will. Go back over the last season or two on here and read some of the comments re Cathal McShane. A fair proportion of 'experts' wrote him off and the criticism was over the top. Some of the commentary childish in fact.

Two years ago I cited Cathal's schedule for the 2 to 3 years around his U21/ senior career. He basically played for Club, two County teams and university 12 months of the year with his longest break 2 x weeks. I thought he was badly managed and a lot of errors were fatigue driven.

Cathal could score 0.3, and miss an easy one but the easy one would be remembered and accentuated.

Another major factor is Cathal went in to Tyrone seniors with very little experience compared to others. While most other players will play McCrory, or grade one youth football or division 1/ 2 Club football as a grounding Cathal didn't.

He played 8 x grade one youth games at most, and to date bar 14 division 2 games all his footballl has been played ary junior level.

This blunts your decision making, and leaves you slightly undercooked for the challenges you may face at Inter County level.

If the GAABoard panel had their way he'd of been off the squad 2 x years ago. However here we are today with the leading scorer in Ireland.

Now I'm not saying he's the best player in Ireland, nor is he immune from criticism and he'll hit 0.8 every week but he's doing alright.  He's earned his place and I for one am delighted to see it.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

omagh_gael

Haha Norf has just went full Fr Ted giving his golden cleric speech! And now we move on to liars...

Fair play to you, Cathal's form must be sweet for you Roes men. As usual in here the criticism went over the top but it when it was reasonable it tended to be on that theme of decision making. You make very valid points about his youth football/club grading standard affecting his performance under pressure and he's clearly done serious work as his stats recently have been off the chart. I'd easily say he's leading contender for the FF all star this year.

On additional issue, guys like Cathal and Colm show us why we're sitting at the smart phones and Mickey is in the hot seat. Most people would have had them off the team or panel altogether. Clearly Mickey seen the potential in both and has developed the best sweeper playing the game (alongside Cian O'Sullivan) and has Cathal well on the way to be becoming one of the leading FFs in the country.

Angelo

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on July 14, 2019, 11:18:59 AM
I'm finding it hard to resist the quote button on here but I will. Go back over the last season or two on here and read some of the comments re Cathal McShane. A fair proportion of 'experts' wrote him off and the criticism was over the top. Some of the commentary childish in fact.

Two years ago I cited Cathal's schedule for the 2 to 3 years around his U21/ senior career. He basically played for Club, two County teams and university 12 months of the year with his longest break 2 x weeks. I thought he was badly managed and a lot of errors were fatigue driven.

Cathal could score 0.3, and miss an easy one but the easy one would be remembered and accentuated.

Another major factor is Cathal went in to Tyrone seniors with very little experience compared to others. While most other players will play McCrory, or grade one youth football or division 1/ 2 Club football as a grounding Cathal didn't.

He played 8 x grade one youth games at most, and to date bar 14 division 2 games all his footballl has been played ary junior level.

This blunts your decision making, and leaves you slightly undercooked for the challenges you may face at Inter County level.

If the GAABoard panel had their way he'd of been off the squad 2 x years ago. However here we are today with the leading scorer in Ireland.

Now I'm not saying he's the best player in Ireland, nor is he immune from criticism and he'll hit 0.8 every week but he's doing alright.  He's earned his place and I for one am delighted to see it.

McShane's problem in previous years was his decision making, he would take on ridiculous shots with low success rate and when you're playing against the top teams those type of misses can kill you and just drain the confidence from the team. I thought some of the criticism of McShane was valid, some OTT but it was always with the caveat that he was/is young and he has plenty of time to develop his game and improve on where he was falling down.

He has been outstanding so far this year and hopefully he will keep it up, he seems to have worked extremely hard over the last few years and even in the light of the criticism he has received in past years, one thing you could certainly not accuse him of was his effort and the fact he never goes hiding in games whether he's playing well or not. His movement and finishing has been great but it's his composure this year that makes him look a different player. He looks to have developed a different style of kicking the ball too, maybe it's because he tends to only shoot now within a 30 yard range.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

skeog

Shoe in for an All Star this year.

Jayop

Quote from: skeog on July 14, 2019, 01:08:18 PM

Skeet was second top scorer in the championship total last year and second top scorer from play and didn't even get a nomination let alone an All star. Hard to say someone from Tyrone is a shoe in at full forward.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: southtyronegael on July 14, 2019, 08:27:18 AM
Looks like Tyrone are back to their brilliant, boring best.

Another good win wasn't it? Great that everyone is back talking football and not sidelined by other nonsense.

Great result going away to a team that have already knocked out two top 5 teams. It's been a brilliant response to a very poor performance against Donegal. One win away from a semi final, let's hope it's secured next weekend.

trailer

Quote from: Jayop on July 14, 2019, 01:22:57 PM
Quote from: skeog on July 14, 2019, 01:08:18 PM

Skeet was second top scorer in the championship total last year and second top scorer from play and didn't even get a nomination let alone an All star. Hard to say someone from Tyrone is a shoe in at full forward.

Shoo-in. Shoo, shoo, shoooo-in.

Carry on.

HokeyPokey

Another decent win.

It will be interesting to see if Tiernan McCann, Richie Donnelly and Hampsey return to the side. They had looked like nailed on starters, but who do you take out?

HP McGeary has never given me much confidence but has been decent. I was impressed yesterday with how solid Brennan and McNamee were. Meyler has worked and worked, he had some good kick passes too. I think people underestimate his footballing ability, maybe a bit like Dooher was once upon a time? 

Jim Bob

Quote from: HokeyPokey on July 14, 2019, 03:56:26 PM
Another decent win.

It will be interesting to see if Tiernan McCann, Richie Donnelly and Hampsey return to the side. They had looked like nailed on starters, but who do you take out?

HP McGeary has never given me much confidence but has been decent. I was impressed yesterday with how solid Brennan and McCarron[/b] were. Meyler has worked and worked, he had some good kick passes too. I think people underestimate his footballing ability, maybe a bit like Dooher was once upon a time?

McCarron?

Angelo

Another decent win.

HP McGeary has never given me much confidence but has been decent. I was impressed yesterday with how solid Brennan and McNamee were. Meyler has worked and worked, he had some good kick passes too. I think people underestimate his footballing ability, maybe a bit like Dooher was once upon a time?

Hampsey might come in but I think Richie looks a bit one paced against the top teams and Croke Park will go against them. McCann will probably have to play his way back in from substitute appearances. Cassidy had a fairly quiet game yesterday but deserves his spot.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Redhand Santa

Good weekend for Tyrone with a hard fought crucial win over Roscommon and a very impressive u20 win last night. Canavan was a joy to watch at times and there were good performances all over the pitch.

Pity more people didn't come out to support both our teams yesterday in a handy venue. It wasn't as if there was a huge following in Roscommon either. Monaghan had a far bigger support for one final. As I've said before we were spoiled with success over the last 20 years. Ironic that our fans used to criticise Kerry for being bad supporters.

square_ball

Quote from: Angelo on July 14, 2019, 07:38:17 PM
Another decent win.

Hampsey might come in but I think Richie looks a bit one paced against the top teams and Croke Park will go against them. McCann will probably have to play his way back in from substitute appearances. Cassidy had a fairly quiet game yesterday but deserves his spot.

I'd imagine Hampsey will come in for HP if he's 100% fit and Kieran McGeary to come back in leaving McKernan/Cassidy to fight it out for one spot. Cassidy has been very quiet the past 2 games though so wouldn't be all that surprised if he missed out. Just to note Roscommon was a great visit for a championship game the Rossie fans were well up for it.

The u17s were very poor yesterday I thought particularly in the 2nd half. Didn't look to be any discernible game plan. It seemed to be they hoped big McGleenon would burst forward and create something. Monaghan kept Tyrone in it in the 2nd half with bad shooting but they were by far the better side.

The u20s were good value after a slow start. The 2nd goal before half time killed it. Canavan is awesome real buzz in the crowd when he got it and always did something productive with it.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Angelo on July 14, 2019, 11:43:27 AM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on July 14, 2019, 11:18:59 AM

McShane's problem in previous years was his decision making, he would take on ridiculous shots with low success rate and when you're playing against the top teams those type of misses can kill you and just drain the confidence from the team. I thought some of the criticism of McShane was valid, some OTT but it was always with the caveat that he was/is young and he has plenty of time to develop his game and improve on where he was falling down.

He has been outstanding so far this year and hopefully he will keep it up, he seems to have worked extremely hard over the last few years and even in the light of the criticism he has received in past years, one thing you could certainly not accuse him of was his effort and the fact he never goes hiding in games whether he's playing well or not. His movement and finishing has been great but it's his composure this year that makes him look a different player. He looks to have developed a different style of kicking the ball too, maybe it's because he tends to only shoot now within a 30 yard range.

The problem is people don't give young lads coming in to a Tyrone squad a chance. One or two bad games and they are deemed not up to it. However the same posters on the various Premier League threads don't judge young soccer players the same. They 'have to get used to the pace of the game',or 'build experience' or 'learn their craft'.
Us Tyronies take serious abuse from the southern media, other counties, pundits etc. I think we should be backing our own as much as possible. This online discarding before they have a season or so on the clock is too harsh. See exhibit A Ben McDonnell. He's had a handful of senior IC games and he's already being written off. He may not be good enough, but give him a chance. Support our own and give them as good a chance as they can get.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

skeog

Norf you are spot on Cathal had a lot of detractors now he is being compared to Kieran Donaghey.