America`s Gun Culture

Started by Wildweasel74, December 14, 2012, 06:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burdizzo

Quote from: Piskin on May 07, 2023, 09:19:19 PM
America has been a bad soap opera since Vietnam. All facets of society has gotten worse despite Wars on everything ie poverty, drugs, crime, terrorism. homelessness etc. It is now a trash can society.

Hmmm. Coincidentally, that's also around the time they really opened up to non-European immigration.

armaghniac

Quote from: burdizzo on May 07, 2023, 11:41:35 PM
Quote from: Piskin on May 07, 2023, 09:19:19 PM
America has been a bad soap opera since Vietnam. All facets of society has gotten worse despite Wars on everything ie poverty, drugs, crime, terrorism. homelessness etc. It is now a trash can society.

Hmmm. Coincidentally, that's also around the time they really opened up to non-European immigration.

It is also noted by increased inequality generality

Non European immigration covers all the countries of the world and these are all different. Indians are very successful in the US and pay a lot of tax, but there are not any well known Indian gangs, to be best of my knowledge.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

J70

Perhaps the growth of the ammosexual culture and the steady, increasing removal of any and all impediments to the ownership of military style weapons has something to do with it.

Or maybe not. Must be those damn brown immigrants.

armaghniac

Quote from: J70 on May 08, 2023, 10:44:48 AM
Perhaps the growth of the ammosexual culture and the steady, increasing removal of any and all impediments to the ownership of military style weapons has something to do with it.

Or maybe not. Must be those damn brown immigrants.

I'm sure the growth of anti family me first values does contribute, as does the availability of weapons. However, immigrants are not driving either of these things.

thewobbler

Blaming the more recent immigrants in a country built upon immigration is a troubled perspective.

More likely reasons for this upsurge in mass shootings:

- the decline in family values, and the resultant decline in wishing to impress parents.

- the decline in faith, and the resultant change in moral compasses.

- the rise in movies and television shows that promote it not just being acceptable, but absolutely correct, to kill dozens of people.... as long as you're the "good guy."

- the rise in ultra violent video games, that allow people to subconsciously feel the emotions of a killer, both as a "bad guy" and a "good guy".

- the sheer volume of people trained by the army to use guns.

- poverty and the various mental health issues that are associated.

- normalcy.

- but most of all. The availability of guns.

I personally don't see immigration being factor. Not compared to the above.

whitey

It's a combination of  many factors: mental health crisis, easy availability of guns, lack of enforcement of existing laws, lack of personal responsibility, culture

Milltown Row2

All that stuff is happening in every country but not every country needs or have multiple guns available to them.. the place is fucked but thoughts and prayers to those that went out to the Mall and never came home
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

whitey

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 08, 2023, 12:24:26 PM
All that stuff is happening in every country but not every country needs or have multiple guns available to them.. the place is fucked but thoughts and prayers to those that went out to the Mall and never came home

Not every country has a right to bear arms written into their constitutions

Assault weapons should be banned......they were banned before and are actually  banned in some states

J70

And there you have it.

I can't speak to the "f**k you, I got mine" phenomenon that is so pervasive in the US becoming a widespread thing globallly, but lots of people everywhere are getting isolated personally or in ideological internet community bubbles.

The difference is the average young European who has gone off the rails can't go down to the strip mall and buy 1000 rounds of bullets and an AR-15 with few, if any, questions asked.

J70

Quote from: whitey on May 08, 2023, 12:30:45 PM

Assault weapons should be banned......they were banned before and are actually  banned in some states

That right has been around for nearly 250 years.

Its only in recent decades that its meaning has been twisted and corrupted to cover military-style assault weapons for anyone who wants one.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on May 08, 2023, 12:35:33 PM

Its only in recent decades that its meaning has been twisted and corrupted to cover military-style assault weapons for anyone who wants one.

I was traveling for work one time and I got chatting with fella who had one of those Barrett Sniper rifles they used to take down helicopters in south Armagh. He showed me videos of what it could do

Pure madness that an individual can legally possess such a weapon 

J70

Quote from: whitey on May 08, 2023, 01:02:51 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 08, 2023, 12:35:33 PM

I was traveling for work one time and I got chatting with fella who had one of those Barrett Sniper rifles they used to take down helicopters in south Armagh. He showed me videos of what it could do

Pure madness that an individual can legally possess such a weapon

I like to think that it will eventually swing back towards something sensible, but then I think about the motivation on each side of the issue and the utter lack of impact of atrocities like Sandy Hook, Uvalde and Las Vegas and it's just despair.

Unfortunately the activists and hardliners on the ownership side far outnumber those on the victimhood side.

armaghniac

Quote from: thewobbler on May 08, 2023, 11:23:30 AM

Places like Finland or Switzerland have national service, but still less violence.

whitey

Quote from: armaghniac on May 08, 2023, 01:35:59 PM

Places like Finland or Switzerland have national service, but still less violence.

Are you  having a laugh making that comparison?

They American veterans (unlike the Finns and Swiss) have actually participated in significant  combat operations, put their lives on the line and seen friends and family members killed.

No lefty politician is going to impinge on their Second Amendment rights

Milltown Row2

Quote from: whitey on May 08, 2023, 01:42:47 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 08, 2023, 01:35:59 PM

Are you  having a laugh making that comparison?

They American veterans (unlike the Finns and Swiss) have actually participated in significant  combat operations, put their lives on the line and seen friends and family members killed.

No lefty politician is going to impinge on their Second Amendment rights

Are most of the mass murders ex army?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea