America`s Gun Culture

Started by Wildweasel74, December 14, 2012, 06:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxcommander

Quote from: J70 on July 09, 2016, 08:58:53 PM
Quote from: Muck Savage on July 09, 2016, 06:43:59 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 09, 2016, 12:18:15 PM

So what do you propose?

That black people just keep their heads down and accept their lot in life. Accept that they're treated disproportionately harshly by the justice system, both police and courts, for the same crimes as whites? Accept that police are more likely to kill them just because the cop is prejudiced or afraid?

Should the anti-abortion movement be shut down because once in a while some nut goes too far and bombs a clinic or shoots a doctor dead?

These problems existed LONG before BLM. Its just that they are now getting an airing and some pushback due to mobile phone videos.

I don't believe that these hate group are the right way to go. Certainly going on a roof-top and shooting a Cops is not the right way. This was not a terrorist as has been mentioned before, this was racially motivated by a racist. Just as some of the cop shootings have been racially motivated.

It needs strong leadership.
Jobs - We need more jobs in areas that are predominantly Black. Black unemployment rates have gone up in the last few years. More Black families are on benefits, food stamps etc.

Schools - The school structure needs to be fixed. It is set up that the rich areas continue to get the better teachers, facilities etc. More money needs to be put into this in Black areas. Education is very important

Police relationships - Needs to be addressed. Police need to be given X% of time each week to work on community projects each week in Black areas, with or without uniforms. This time should be on the clock, not their own free time.

In the last 24 hours, there have been 4 ambush's on Police across the country. As sure as night and day another innocent Black man will be shot.

Until something along these lines change Racists will shoot innocent people on both sides.

But the shooter in Dallas was not associated with BLM, which is not an organized, centralized group anyway, more a loose collection of groups under one umbrella, some good, some not so good. Kind of like the Tea Party movement in organization.

I hear you on the other stuff, but will it ever happen? In many areas, school funding is tied in with property taxes, which basically causes a positive (or negative) feedback loop, in that the schools in the rich areas are well funded while those in poor areas are not. School quality is in turn an influence on property values, and so round and round it goes. People are very reluctant to give that up. Even in NYC you see it's influence, with many teachers opting to take advantage of accelerated certification programmes, before fleeing for the suburbs once they've done their due time, meaning that poor schools are often stuck with inexperienced and less able teachers. And even in liberal, progressive NYC, you see occasional push-back from parents in good public schools when efforts are made to include the housing projects down the block in the catchment for their school. Not really because their child will sit side by side with poor black or hispanic kids, but because their child might be passed over and not get a coveted place in the school at all.

With the police, it will take years, with the already poisonous relationships in some areas, and the "snitches end up in ditches" fear. How do you break through all that? How do you address what Cornell West calls the "niggerization" of black people, where their history of being downtrodden, rejected, unsafe, poorly treated by government and society, becomes a trap from which they cannot escape, and which is further beaten into them every time a man is stopped, for no reason other than racial profiling, by the police, and where they, through no fault of their own, appear threatening to people of other races and even their own. This goes for middle and upper class black experience too. And then the crime rates in the poor neighbourhoods, typical of socially deprived areas, which necessitate the increased presence of police, which leads to racial profiling, and on and on it goes.

Oh boo hoo! Learn to behave properly, take responsibility for your kids and make sure they go and get educated. Stop blaming others.

The shooter was at a BLM rally and apparently has been posting stuff on their facebook site (amongst other racist pages).

As seen in the likes of Baltimore and Feguson, BLM is a magnet for those who want to use it as an excuse to riot and loot. Others just want to cash in on the trend (Like Jay-Z and Beyoncé) to further careers and make money off the back of it the same as Al and Jesse have done for years.
The cops are the only thing standing in the way of anarchy and you have no appreciation for them and the tough job they have to do.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Oraisteach

Love how the NRA is so supportive of Castile, who had a license to carry a concealed weapon permit. 

J70

Quote from: foxcommander on July 10, 2016, 02:27:15 AM

So what do you propose?

That black people just keep their heads down and accept their lot in life. Accept that they're treated disproportionately harshly by the justice system, both police and courts, for the same crimes as whites? Accept that police are more likely to kill them just because the cop is prejudiced or afraid?

Should the anti-abortion movement be shut down because once in a while some nut goes too far and bombs a clinic or shoots a doctor dead?

These problems existed LONG before BLM. Its just that they are now getting an airing and some pushback due to mobile phone videos.

I don't believe that these hate group are the right way to go. Certainly going on a roof-top and shooting a Cops is not the right way. This was not a terrorist as has been mentioned before, this was racially motivated by a racist. Just as some of the cop shootings have been racially motivated.

Jobs - We need more jobs in areas that are predominantly Black. Black unemployment rates have gone up in the last few years. More Black families are on benefits, food stamps etc.

Schools - The school structure needs to be fixed. It is set up that the rich areas continue to get the better teachers, facilities etc. More money needs to be put into this in Black areas. Education is very important

Police relationships - Needs to be addressed. Police need to be given X% of time each week to work on community projects each week in Black areas, with or without uniforms. This time should be on the clock, not their own free time.

In the last 24 hours, there have been 4 ambush's on Police across the country. As sure as night and day another innocent Black man will be shot.

Until something along these lines change Racists will shoot innocent people on both sides.

But the shooter in Dallas was not associated with BLM, which is not an organized, centralized group anyway, more a loose collection of groups under one umbrella, some good, some not so good. Kind of like the Tea Party movement in organization.

I hear you on the other stuff, but will it ever happen? In many areas, school funding is tied in with property taxes, which basically causes a positive (or negative) feedback loop, in that the schools in the rich areas are well funded while those in poor areas are not. School quality is in turn an influence on property values, and so round and round it goes. People are very reluctant to give that up. Even in NYC you see it's influence, with many teachers opting to take advantage of accelerated certification programmes, before fleeing for the suburbs once they've done their due time, meaning that poor schools are often stuck with inexperienced and less able teachers. And even in liberal, progressive NYC, you see occasional push-back from parents in good public schools when efforts are made to include the housing projects down the block in the catchment for their school. Not really because their child will sit side by side with poor black or hispanic kids, but because their child might be passed over and not get a coveted place in the school at all.

With the police, it will take years, with the already poisonous relationships in some areas, and the "snitches end up in ditches" fear. How do you break through all that? How do you address what Cornell West calls the "niggerization" of black people, where their history of being downtrodden, rejected, unsafe, poorly treated by government and society, becomes a trap from which they cannot escape, and which is further beaten into them every time a man is stopped, for no reason other than racial profiling, by the police, and where they, through no fault of their own, appear threatening to people of other races and even their own. This goes for middle and upper class black experience too. And then the crime rates in the poor neighbourhoods, typical of socially deprived areas, which necessitate the increased presence of police, which leads to racial profiling, and on and on it goes.

Oh boo hoo! Learn to behave properly, take responsibility for your kids and make sure they go and get educated. Stop blaming others.

The shooter was at a BLM rally and apparently has been posting stuff on their facebook site (amongst other racist pages).

As seen in the likes of Baltimore and Feguson, BLM is a magnet for those who want to use it as an excuse to riot and loot. Others just want to cash in on the trend (Like Jay-Z and Beyoncé) to further careers and make money off the back of it the same as Al and Jesse have done for years.
The cops are the only thing standing in the way of anarchy and you have no appreciation for them and the tough job they have to do.

Well jaysus, why didn't anyone ever think before that it was as simple as "Learn to behave properly, take responsibility for your kids and make sure they go and get educated. Stop blaming others."

Stupid, whining black people. ::)

And of course, as usual, not even a hint of understanding from yourself that black people really are subject to racism in their daily lives that white people never have to experience.

And, by the way, I have great appreciation for the jobs the police do. One can appreciate their work, while also realizing that problems exist.

Too complicated I guess for the conservative, "you're either for us or agin us" mindset.

J70

Quote from: Oraisteach on July 10, 2016, 04:51:35 AM
Love how the NRA is so supportive of Castile, who had a license to carry a concealed weapon permit.

And the GOP politicians too.

J70

One more thing Foxcommander. You claim that As seen in the likes of Baltimore and Feguson, BLM is a magnet for those who want to use it as an excuse to riot and loot. Others just want to cash in on the trend (Like Jay-Z and Beyoncé) to further careers and make money off the back of it the same as Al and Jesse have done for years.

So what is the breakdown here? What is the proportion of BLM marches/protests that have involved riots and looting?

You're blaming them for this murderer's actions. What proportion of BLM activities have lead to murders, of police or otherwise?

I would ask you what the response of black people SHOULD be to the various unnecessary killings of black men by police, but that would require your acknowledgement that a problem even exists.

heganboy

We were brought here in chains, against our will. Beaten, raped, abused, and then tortured if we fought back. Our men valued for their strength and brawn until that physicality no longer lined your pockets, and then we became frightening and aggressive.
We were lynched, terrorized in our own country, and denied the rights that we were entitled to in our own Constitution. We served our nation to secure freedom for the world, only to return to a nation in which we ourselves were not free.
We are targeted, harassed, falsely accused and then told we bring this on ourselves because we do not "act like the rest of society." But did any of the above happen to the rest of society?
I'm tired. Tired of smoothing your ruffled feathers in my presence because of your fear. Tired of being exceptional so that I can be treated like "the rest of society."
I'm tired of having to argue my humanity to you.
But most of all, tired of looking into the faces of my little boys, and feeling like I have to extinguish their joy, their exuberance, because you think "black men are more dangerous than men of other races."
My boys like Pokemon, probably like your boys. My boys play soccer, probably like your boys. My boys are bright, and curious and gifted, probably like your boys. But my boys will be hunted. Will yours?

Great post in the comment section of the NY Times
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

seafoid

Quote from: heganboy on July 10, 2016, 02:21:59 PM
We were brought here in chains, against our will. Beaten, raped, abused, and then tortured if we fought back. Our men valued for their strength and brawn until that physicality no longer lined your pockets, and then we became frightening and aggressive.
We were lynched, terrorized in our own country, and denied the rights that we were entitled to in our own Constitution. We served our nation to secure freedom for the world, only to return to a nation in which we ourselves were not free.
We are targeted, harassed, falsely accused and then told we bring this on ourselves because we do not "act like the rest of society." But did any of the above happen to the rest of society?
I'm tired. Tired of smoothing your ruffled feathers in my presence because of your fear. Tired of being exceptional so that I can be treated like "the rest of society."
But most of all, tired of looking into the faces of my little boys, and feeling like I have to extinguish their joy, their exuberance, because you think "black men are more dangerous than men of other races."
My boys like Pokemon, probably like your boys. My boys play soccer, probably like your boys. My boys are bright, and curious and gifted, probably like your boys. But my boys will be hunted. Will yours?

RFK after Martin Luther King was murdered
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoKzCff8Zbs

There are some very eloquent black statements on the police and black people . this is re Ferguson

•   http://www.nme.com/news/run-the-jewels/81347
•   
•   I would like to say Rest in Peace to Michael Brown. I would like to give all thoughts and prayers to the people out there peacefully protesting. I also give thoughts and prayers to the people who could not hold their anger in because riots are only the language of the unhold. We usually come on to Queen's 'Champion', but I just got to tell you today, no matter how much we do it, no matter how much we get shit together, shit comes along and kicks you on your ass. Tonight, I got kicked on my ass when I heard that prosecutor. You motherfuckers got me today, I knew it was coming when Eric Holder decided to resign. You motherfuckers got me today. You kicked me on my ass today, because I have a 20-year-old son and a 12-year-old son, and I'm so afraid for them today.

•   He continued: "When I stood on the bus, and I cried, and I hugged my friend, I said, 'These motherfuckers got me today.' When I stood in front of my wife, and I cried like a baby, I said, 'These motherfuckers got me today. You motherfuckers will not own tomorrow, we will not bend to your fear, we will not accept your pain, we are not going to keep playing that race card, because we know you don't value my skin. We know you do value his (El-P), but we're friends and nothing is going to devalue that."

"There was no peace in my heart and I wanted to walk out to 'Burn This Motherfucker Down'. But I got to tell you, I'm from Atlanta, Georgia, something said, 'Just look for something [Martin Luther King Jr] might have said,' so I Googled Martin King and Wikipedia popped up, and he was 39 years old when you motherfuckers killed him. He was the same age as I am, the same age as [El-P]. He was a young man when you killed him."

"But I can promise you today, if I die when I walk off this stage tomorrow, I'll let you know this: it is not about race, it is not a class, it's not about colour, it's about what they killed him for. It's about poverty, it's about greed, and it's about a war machine. It's about a war machine that uses you. So as I go tomorrow, I might go the day after, the one thing I want you to know is that it's us against the motherfucking machine!"

NAG1

Quote from: seafoid on July 10, 2016, 09:08:14 PM

RFK after Martin Luther King was murdered
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoKzCff8Zbs

There are some very eloquent black statements on the police and black people . this is re Ferguson

•   http://www.nme.com/news/run-the-jewels/81347
•   
•   I would like to say Rest in Peace to Michael Brown. I would like to give all thoughts and prayers to the people out there peacefully protesting. I also give thoughts and prayers to the people who could not hold their anger in because riots are only the language of the unhold. We usually come on to Queen's 'Champion', but I just got to tell you today, no matter how much we do it, no matter how much we get shit together, shit comes along and kicks you on your ass. Tonight, I got kicked on my ass when I heard that prosecutor. You motherfuckers got me today, I knew it was coming when Eric Holder decided to resign. You motherfuckers got me today. You kicked me on my ass today, because I have a 20-year-old son and a 12-year-old son, and I'm so afraid for them today.

•   He continued: "When I stood on the bus, and I cried, and I hugged my friend, I said, 'These motherfuckers got me today.' When I stood in front of my wife, and I cried like a baby, I said, 'These motherfuckers got me today. You motherfuckers will not own tomorrow, we will not bend to your fear, we will not accept your pain, we are not going to keep playing that race card, because we know you don't value my skin. We know you do value his (El-P), but we're friends and nothing is going to devalue that."

"There was no peace in my heart and I wanted to walk out to 'Burn This Motherfucker Down'. But I got to tell you, I'm from Atlanta, Georgia, something said, 'Just look for something [Martin Luther King Jr] might have said,' so I Googled Martin King and Wikipedia popped up, and he was 39 years old when you motherfuckers killed him. He was the same age as I am, the same age as [El-P]. He was a young man when you killed him."

"But I can promise you today, if I die when I walk off this stage tomorrow, I'll let you know this: it is not about race, it is not a class, it's not about colour, it's about what they killed him for. It's about poverty, it's about greed, and it's about a war machine. It's about a war machine that uses you. So as I go tomorrow, I might go the day after, the one thing I want you to know is that it's us against the motherfucking machine!"

What bullshit is this?

The Iceman

Could be a quote directly from "white cargo" or "to hell or barbados" about the first slaves in this country - the Irish....

The Irish slave was the only slave before the dutch brought African slaves. The Irish were beneath those slaves because we couldn't take the extreme heat and we fetched less money at auction....

where did things change since for both groups?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

trileacman

Quote from: The Iceman on July 11, 2016, 04:21:47 PM

Could be a quote directly from "white cargo" or "to hell or barbados" about the first slaves in this country - the Irish....

The Irish slave was the only slave before the dutch brought African slaves. The Irish were beneath those slaves because we couldn't take the extreme heat and we fetched less money at auction....

There's a pretty big difference between indentured servitude and slavery.

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

foxcommander

Quote from: J70 on July 10, 2016, 12:55:56 PM

So what do you propose?

Well jaysus, why didn't anyone ever think before that it was as simple as "Learn to behave properly, take responsibility for your kids and make sure they go and get educated. Stop blaming others."

And of course, as usual, not even a hint of understanding from yourself that black people really are subject to racism in their daily lives that white people never have to experience.

And, by the way, I have great appreciation for the jobs the police do. One can appreciate their work, while also realizing that problems exist.

Too complicated I guess for the conservative, "you're either for us or agin us" mindset.

Oh don't tell me you're going to start on white privilege! If you feel so bad then go live in the projects and try reason with the folk who live there to stop breaking the law, thus eliminating the need for the police.
Problem solved!

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

J70

Quote from: foxcommander on July 12, 2016, 02:38:24 AM
Quote from: J70 on July 10, 2016, 12:55:56 PM

So what do you propose?

Oh don't tell me you're going to start on white privilege! If you feel so bad then go live in the projects and try reason with the folk who live there to stop breaking the law, thus eliminating the need for the police.
Problem solved!

Another response bursting with intelligent analysis and solutions!

The Iceman

Quote from: trileacman on July 11, 2016, 08:53:25 PM

really? go and read the books and then comment again......or google some info...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

seafoid

Guns go back to slavery and the genocide of the Indians.
You can't switch off trauma 

Most Settler colonial countries have problems with violence. The plantation of ulster is still iterating its filth.

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on July 12, 2016, 03:53:23 AM
Quote from: trileacman on July 11, 2016, 08:53:25 PM

really? go and read the books and then comment again......or google some info...

The Irish were mainly in the plantations in the Carribean. Also, the Brits didn't really discriminate on grounds of nationality, they did so on grounds of social status. So along with the Irish, there were Welsh, Scots and even English sold into indentured servitude in the Carribean. Although many of the non-Irish were taken from the prisons.
MWWSI 2017