America`s Gun Culture

Started by Wildweasel74, December 14, 2012, 06:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

And now five cops killed in Dallas by snipers during a BLM protest! :'(

Walter Cronc

From that recording posted on facebook the cop did not appear to be in a stable position post shooting. If anything he was in hysterics!! You have to then question his ability to act responsibly under pressure! I'm sure their job isn't easy but isn't that par for the course?!

J70

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 08, 2016, 12:05:16 PM
From that recording posted on facebook the cop did not appear to be in a stable position post shooting. If anything he was in hysterics!! You have to then question his ability to act responsibly under pressure! I'm sure their job isn't easy but isn't that par for the course?!

The US needs to consolidate police forces and standardize training and evaluation.

longballin

Quote from: J70 on July 08, 2016, 12:42:52 PM

The US needs to consolidate police forces and standardize training and evaluation.

what does that even mean? Root out racism?

J70

Quote from: longballin on July 08, 2016, 12:52:08 PM

Most towns and counties have their own police forces, with different sets of training, oversight, standards and so on. One place might have officers well trained in how to respond to a situation where they were nervous or afraid, the next one over might not.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: J70 on July 08, 2016, 01:53:15 PM
Quote from: longballin on July 08, 2016, 12:52:08 PM

Most towns and counties have their own police forces, with different sets of training, oversight, standards and so on. One place might have officers well trained in how to respond to a situation where they were nervous or afraid, the next one over might not.

Would that not be very hard to do though J70? I suppose a standard framework could be set in place and each state/county works off that!

J70

Ironically (in a bitter way), according to an NPR report I heard this morning, the Dallas police are among the more progressive in trying to address these issues and have seen complaints drop dramatically since they began working on it.

Walter Cronc

Is it wrong to assume the likes of Dallas, Seattle, Portland, San Fran, Denver, Charlotte etc would have more progressive policing?

gallsman

Any media referring to this as terrorism yet? Not the right shade of brown?

muppet

MWWSI 2017

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on July 08, 2016, 02:41:41 PM
I believe it should be called terrorism.  Planned sniper shootings on police and a suspected bomb... surely that's terrorism.
I won't be so naive to say there is no racism in America in general and among some cops.  I will say though that protestors and a lot of black people don't do anything to help their cause.  Things are so far removed from what Dr King started I'm sure he is shaking his head at all of this.  It has become a viscous circle.  Cops are afraid and over reacting to simple situations that could be solved without bullets.  Black people are afraid and angry and violent which makes cops even more on edge....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

seafoid

Quote from: The Iceman on July 08, 2016, 03:23:25 PM
I believe it should be called terrorism.  Planned sniper shootings on police and a suspected bomb... surely that's terrorism.
I won't be so naive to say there is no racism in America in general and among some cops.  I will say though that protestors and a lot of black people don't do anything to help their cause.  Things are so far removed from what Dr King started I'm sure he is shaking his head at all of this.  It has become a viscous circle.  Cops are afraid and over reacting to simple situations that could be solved without bullets.  Black people are afraid and angry and violent which makes cops even more on edge....

The link in the popular imagination between civil disorder and urban poverty was perhaps best expressed in the report of the Kerner Commission, which was appointed by president Lyndon Johnson after rioting during the summer of 1967 in such cities as Detroit and Newark, New Jersey, left scores dead. Its conclusion was: "Our nation is moving toward two societies, one black, one white — separate and unequal." But implicit in its analysis was the notion that the root causes of the violence were to be found in the deprivation of the urban slum. "Segregation and poverty have created in the racial ghetto a destructive environment totally unknown to most white Americans," the report said. "What white Americans have never fully understood but what the Negro can never forget — is that white society is deeply implicated in the ghetto. White institutions created it, white institutions maintain it, and white society condones it."

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

StGallsGAA

The chickens had to come home to roost at some point.  I see the Black Power movement is now drilling openly with legally held automatic weapons, stating they reserve the right to open fire on any police officer who draws their weapon on a a non-threatening situation.  Every member has taken an oath Ro shoot first in such scenarios.  Should even the playing field a little!  8)

muppet

...I agree it is terrorism. The terrorists are being radicalised by the worst of the otherwise good police forces, and they are being armed by the NRA, who are facilitated by all those politicians who take NRA donations.

John McCain alone has received $7.7m from the NRA and of course he blames Obama.
MWWSI 2017

Kickham csc

Quote from: seafoid on July 08, 2016, 03:30:12 PM

The link in the popular imagination between civil disorder and urban poverty was perhaps best expressed in the report of the Kerner Commission, which was appointed by president Lyndon Johnson after rioting during the summer of 1967 in such cities as Detroit and Newark, New Jersey, left scores dead. Its conclusion was: "Our nation is moving toward two societies, one black, one white — separate and unequal." But implicit in its analysis was the notion that the root causes of the violence were to be found in the deprivation of the urban slum. "Segregation and poverty have created in the racial ghetto a destructive environment totally unknown to most white Americans," the report said. "What white Americans have never fully understood but what the Negro can never forget — is that white society is deeply implicated in the ghetto. White institutions created it, white institutions maintain it, and white society condones it."

I have relatives who are cops in NYC, and they would totally agree with the reference to racial ghetto and destructive environment.

They are frustrated about a couple of things
1) - The system has created ghettos where the education system is broken, employment system is broken, family structures are broken, and poverty is rife
2) Politicians preach a lot, but never implement initiatives to help fix the situation (for example, NYC mayor has the backing of the teacher's union, who are happy with the status quo with the failed school system)
3) the police are  holding the society together by maintaining law and order
4) the police are the identified as the visual reminder of the establishment, and in-turn take a lot of sh1T
5) the Politicians point to fixing police problems to appease the crowd as its a vote getter
6) but do nothing to fix the ghetto issues (GUNS GUNS GUNS, Education, Jobs, etc)

This leaves a disgruntled mass (with easy access to weapons) going toe to toe with a pressurized police force

And the mass population shack their heads in judgment when the police make mistakes and the disgruntled mass reacts.