America`s Gun Culture

Started by Wildweasel74, December 14, 2012, 06:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Declan

Thought the lad who produced the wire summed it up well

‏@WendellPierce 
If every Black male 18-35 applied for a conceal& carry permit, and then joined NRA in one day; there would be gun control laws in a second

TabClear

Awful tragedy.

I wonder what are the NRA morons going to come out with on this one?  Their stock answer for most atrocities seems to be "if only they had guns to defend themselves it wouldn't have happened" doesn't really apply here.

Declan

Saw this headline on an opinion piece this morning:
In most of America, it's impossible to tell a deadly sniper from a peaceful protestor carrying a gun
Just think about that for a second
http://qz.com/726802/in-much-of-america-its-impossible-to-tell-a-sniper-from-someone-casually-carrying-a-rifle-to-a-protest/

Kickham csc

TabClear

Quote from: muppet on July 07, 2016, 11:40:19 PM
Quote from: Declan on July 07, 2016, 10:02:49 PM
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-video-shooting-dylan-noble-20160707-snap-story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Police murder rampage continues another unarmed 19 yr old on the ground fatally shot

Broken tail light or something similar?

Obviously a terrorist.

I assume that you think the police acted with excessive force muppet?  It accept it does look like that in hindsight but the body cam footage should be reasonably conclusive. If the police genuinely thought he was reaching fir a gun what's the alternative for the cops? Wait until he shoots before drawing theirs?

Although I would say, surely a taser is the best option in a situation like this?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: TabClear on July 08, 2016, 10:20:32 AM
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-video-shooting-dylan-noble-20160707-snap-story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Police murder rampage continues another unarmed 19 yr old on the ground fatally shot

Obviously a terrorist.

I assume that you think the police acted with excessive force muppet?  It accept it does look like that in hindsight but the body cam footage should be reasonably conclusive. If the police genuinely thought he was reaching fir a gun what's the alternative for the cops? Wait until he shoots before drawing theirs?

Although I would say, surely a taser is the best option in a situation like this?

maybe wait until you at least SEE a gun?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

longballin

Quote from: Kickham csc on July 08, 2016, 10:06:15 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on July 08, 2016, 07:25:12 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-36743033

was bound to happen sooner or later

Are you saying that this shooting was acceptable???

There was an inevitability that people would take up arms... is terrible as are the killings of black people

muppet

Obviously a terrorist.

They had three guns pointed at him, so had already drawn their guns. He is on the ground, they see him clearly and he can't see them, at least not very well. He is in a poor position to draw, aim and fire a still hidden gun. The cops just have to pull the trigger.

If he pulls a gun, or even a knife, by all means shoot. But he didn't pull anything. At least from the video we have seen.

According to the cops he advanced on them. This happened before the video in the link above began, so this could be true. In which case one could understand a warning shot, or a shot to take him down being fired. So it will be interesting to see the footage from the police cameras.

The cynic in me thinks we would have already seen it, if it completely exonerated the cops. But I could be wrong.
MWWSI 2017

TabClear

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on July 08, 2016, 10:25:26 AM

Obviously a terrorist.

What   if you're unsighted? These are stressful, split second situations.  You've told someone who you believe is a criminal to keep their hands where you can see them but they ignore you and are reaching into their waistband for something but you can't see what because their body is in the way. If it is a gun they could be able to get a shot off before you're 100%  certain that it is a gun.   Would you be willing to risk your life on that? 

Muppet just to address your point as well.   I'm not trying to justify what the police did in this situation.  None of us know the full detail and you're right there were 3 cops here so the unsighted argument shouldn't hold. The  body cam footage will be crucial.   Again why not use a taser?

muppet

Quote from: TabClear on July 08, 2016, 10:44:06 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on July 08, 2016, 10:25:26 AM

Obviously a terrorist.

What   if you're unsighted? These are stressful, split second situations.  You've told someone who you believe is a criminal to keep their hands where you can see them but they ignore you and are reaching into their waistband for something but you can't see what because their body is in the way. If it is a gun they could be able to get a shot off before you're 100%  certain that it is a gun.   Would you be willing to risk your life on that?    I'm not trying to justify what the police did in this situation.  None of us know the full detail.

They weren't unsighted. They were standing 2 meters away with their guns pointed at his head, while he is on the ground on his back.

They had already shot him and he shouted that he had been shot. 99% of the population would put their hand to the shot wound, no matter what the cops were shouting. They claimed he was reaching for his waistband. We will have to wait and see what his hand was doing.

MWWSI 2017

Nigel White

I think any country which has a brutal regime that shoots people dead for having a defective tail light on their car should be invaded by the US, that protector of human rights. 

longballin

There is a multitude of these shootings by cops in the most controversial circumstances... has any done time in jail yet?

muppet

Again we don't know what happened before this video started, but the cop here is on something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaUs9egLCO4

I suspect if the girlfriend moved towards her bleeding partner, she would be shot.
MWWSI 2017

GJL

Very easy in America to walk into a store and by a military standard AR. There should be no surprise at this type of event. Lack of gun control laws due to the NRA are completely to blame for this.