America`s Gun Culture

Started by Wildweasel74, December 14, 2012, 06:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on June 16, 2016, 10:05:34 PM
QuoteI agree no more assault rifles going forward - but cut them off at the manufacturer and seller level.... tighter restrictions on ownership, tests, proof of safe storage, proof of land to hunt (like in Ireland) and perhaps courses every 3 years or 5 years?

This is hardly me arguing against Gun Control.....

the reason I brought up banning the GAA is to describe the emotion attached  - not to compare the end result - I'm sure you can see the difference....

this problem won't be solved like it was in other countries.  It's part of the country's DNA whether you agree or not...

I'm certainly no advocate for Guns or the NRA.  I have a handgun for home defense and I'm trained in how to use it. I have a rifle for hunting and I'm trained in how to use it. I could have both in Ireland if I wanted with permits.

QuoteMost Americans are crazy.  People who live in big cities and coastal areas are remarkably different from the rest.  They won't hand in their guns and how do you take them? Honestly let's be real here how do you take someone's guns? Get in a gunfight? Kill them if they don't hand them over - that's what will really happen I believe....I know people who believe in their rights to bear arms over the government's right to take them..... then you have the people who think/fear that if they return their guns then they leave themselves vulnerable to the criminals or crazies who kept theirs.....it's a messed up situation muppet

This is what I meant by you arguing against gun control. It is as if people are afraid to tackle the problem and are willing to just give up as the massacres keep on happening. This is a question of education and re-joining the rest of the civilised world. There is no option but to tackle this issue and win. What will it take for the gun-toting lunatics to get there? A massacre at their nearest school/cinema?

I am beginning to wonder if Oscar Wilde was right.
MWWSI 2017

J70

Quote from: muppet on June 17, 2016, 01:30:03 PM
QuoteI agree no more assault rifles going forward - but cut them off at the manufacturer and seller level.... tighter restrictions on ownership, tests, proof of safe storage, proof of land to hunt (like in Ireland) and perhaps courses every 3 years or 5 years?

the reason I brought up banning the GAA is to describe the emotion attached  - not to compare the end result - I'm sure you can see the difference....

this problem won't be solved like it was in other countries.  It's part of the country's DNA whether you agree or not...

I'm certainly no advocate for Guns or the NRA.  I have a handgun for home defense and I'm trained in how to use it. I have a rifle for hunting and I'm trained in how to use it. I could have both in Ireland if I wanted with permits.

QuoteMost Americans are crazy.  People who live in big cities and coastal areas are remarkably different from the rest.  They won't hand in their guns and how do you take them? Honestly let's be real here how do you take someone's guns? Get in a gunfight? Kill them if they don't hand them over - that's what will really happen I believe....I know people who believe in their rights to bear arms over the government's right to take them..... then you have the people who think/fear that if they return their guns then they leave themselves vulnerable to the criminals or crazies who kept theirs.....it's a messed up situation muppet

This is what I meant by you arguing against gun control. It is as if people are afraid to tackle the problem and are willing to just give up as the massacres keep on happening. This is a question of education and re-joining the rest of the civilised world. There is no option but to tackle this issue and win. What will it take for the gun-toting lunatics to get there? A massacre at their nearest school/cinema?

But they've had the massacres as schools and cinemas multiple times. When Sandy Hook couldn't move them, nothing ever will.

In fact, they just get more entrenched. Obama is coming for their guns, and if only a good guy with a gun had been present...

Iceman is correct. including with his comparison to the GAA.

muppet

Quote from: J70 on June 17, 2016, 05:14:49 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 17, 2016, 01:30:03 PM

But they've had the massacres as schools and cinemas multiple times. When Sandy Hook couldn't move them, nothing ever will.

In fact, they just get more entrenched. Obama is coming for their guns, and if only a good guy with a gun had been present...

Iceman is correct. including with his comparison to the GAA.

So give up and do nothing?
MWWSI 2017

The Iceman

no, tackle the problem based on the circumstances that exist, not the ones you presume based on other countries....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on June 17, 2016, 07:24:02 PM
no, tackle the problem based on the circumstances that exist, not the ones you presume based on other countries....

Go on.

All I am reading here is why it can't work or won't work.
MWWSI 2017

J70

Well, a good start would be Hillary winning the election and getting a fifth moderate/liberal justice on the Supreme Court in place of Scalia.

Although that doesn't guarantee much in itself. The Democrats need to turn out strongly in 2020 as well to win back some states in anticipation of redistricting. Only then will they be in a position to take back the House.

And even then, they have to have the balls to make the case in the face of the NRA onslaught. It all depends on whether the Democrats feel its a fight worth having in the face of other priorities.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

muppet

The above will continue because of these people. Here is how much they got from the NRA:

MWWSI 2017

seafoid

According to the New York Review 2.5 m Americans fought in the bush/Obama wars and up to 20% may have PTSD.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Eamonnca1

Quote from: muppet on June 21, 2016, 05:14:15 PM
The above will continue because of these people. Here is how much they got from the NRA:

And all except one are Republican.  The bloody, bloody, treasonous b******s.

Declan

Just looking at the latest two police shootings - It's beyond my comprehension.

Castile is at least the 506th person shot and killed by police so far in 2016, according to a Wash/Post database that tracks such shootings.

FL/MAYO

What have the NRA to say about their " good guy with a gun" theory now. Looks like it only applies to whites, the guy shot by police last night was supposedly legally carrying his gun. 

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Puckoon

Crazy news tonight as snipers open fire on a Dallas protest against African American deaths by law enforcement. 4 police officers killed and half a dozen more injured. Crazy.