America`s Gun Culture

Started by Wildweasel74, December 14, 2012, 06:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

MWWSI 2017

heganboy

Impressive filibuster las night has paved way for some progress on the watch list
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

rosnarun

USA cant start with a clean slate . if there are already over 300 millions guns out there , who is gonna hand in theirs first .
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

The Iceman

Quote from: rosnarun on June 16, 2016, 02:49:59 PM
USA cant start with a clean slate . if there are already over 300 millions guns out there , who is gonna hand in theirs first .
Exactly!
We are passed the point of no return.  People will not hand in guns and you can't take them off them.
The option is restrictions going forward directly at the manufacturing and store level. If it can't be bought then the wrong people can't buy it, I think anyway.
People have been brainwashed for decades by the NRA and there is no changing that.  The problem has to be addressed based on the situation on the ground not some pie in the sky hope for the future...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on June 16, 2016, 04:00:19 PM
Exactly!
We are passed the point of no return.  People will not hand in guns and you can't take them off them.
The option is restrictions going forward directly at the manufacturing and store level. If it can't be bought then the wrong people can't buy it, I think anyway.
People have been brainwashed for decades by the NRA and there is no changing that.  The problem has to be addressed based on the situation on the ground not some pie in the sky hope for the future...

This is where it can be difficult to reasoned argument from NRA propaganda.

Some people will hand in guns if it is against the law, and you certainly can take them off them if they don't.

The same logic was peddled in Australia, in the UK for the knife amnesty and even in Ireland for the smoking ban. People really under-estimate the average citizen's desire to live within the law and I am sure most Americans are no different, despite what the NRA says.
MWWSI 2017

The Iceman

Quote from: muppet on June 16, 2016, 04:14:36 PM
Exactly!

Some people will hand in guns if it is against the law, and you certainly can take them off them if they don't.

The same logic was peddled in Australia, in the UK for the knife amnesty and even in Ireland for the smoking ban. People really under-estimate the average citizen's desire to live within the law and I am sure most Americans are no different, despite what the NRA says.
Most Americans are crazy.  People who live in big cities and coastal areas are remarkably different from the rest.  They won't hand in their guns and how do you take them? Honestly let's be real here how do you take someone's guns? Get in a gunfight? Kill them if they don't hand them over - that's what will really happen I believe....I know people who believe in their rights to bear arms over the government's right to take them..... then you have the people who think/fear that if they return their guns then they leave themselves vulnerable to the criminals or crazies who kept theirs.....it's a messed up situation muppet
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on June 16, 2016, 04:57:04 PM
Exactly!

Most Americans are crazy.  People who live in big cities and coastal areas are remarkably different from the rest.  They won't hand in their guns and how do you take them? Honestly let's be real here how do you take someone's guns? Get in a gunfight? Kill them if they don't hand them over - that's what will really happen I believe....I know people who believe in their rights to bear arms over the government's right to take them..... then you have the people who think/fear that if they return their guns then they leave themselves vulnerable to the criminals or crazies who kept theirs.....it's a messed up situation muppet

The first step is making them illegal or more likely, some of them illegal, such as assault rifles.

You start from there.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Gun ownership has been falling for at least 30 years iirc
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

The Iceman

Quote from: muppet on June 16, 2016, 05:00:56 PM
Exactly!

The first step is making them illegal or more likely, some of them illegal, such as assault rifles.

You start from there.
I agree no more assault rifles going forward - but cut them off at the manufacturer and seller level.... tighter restrictions on ownership, tests, proof of safe storage, proof of land to hunt (like in Ireland) and perhaps courses every 3 years or 5 years? I don't know what the best solution is but it isnt armed forces removing guns from people's possession

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on June 16, 2016, 05:09:09 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 16, 2016, 05:00:56 PM
Exactly!

You start from there.
I agree no more assault rifles going forward - but cut them off at the manufacturer and seller level.... tighter restrictions on ownership, tests, proof of safe storage, proof of land to hunt (like in Ireland) and perhaps courses every 3 years or 5 years? I don't know what the best solution is but it isnt armed forces removing guns from people's possession

The smoking ban here didn't involve any forces.
The knife amnesty in the UK didn't involve the use of force.
Australia has had a number of gun amnesties without the use of force.

There are ways to get things done that don't involve John Wayne thinking.
MWWSI 2017

The Iceman

They arent the right comparisons though.  You're removing the emotion out of it. The attachment, the passion people have in this country about guns.
It would be like banning the GAA in Ireland or when it was illegal to go to Mass. The mere mention of gun control here and gun sales spike through the roof!

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on June 16, 2016, 06:38:48 PM
They arent the right comparisons though.  You're removing the emotion out of it. The attachment, the passion people have in this country about guns.
It would be like banning the GAA in Ireland or when it was illegal to go to Mass. The mere mention of gun control here and gun sales spike through the roof!

It wouldn't be like banning the GAA as we don't have thousands of people being killed by the GAA every year. There is no comparison with US gun laws anywhere in the world. It kills people all the time, year after year, and yet people make up daft arguments against banning guns.

You, whether intentionally or not, are arguing point blank against gun control. This is completely illogical on so many levels so it is very difficult to keep the discussion reasonable. I could go into the hysterical equivalents I see on FaceBook such as 'drugs laws didn't work so why ban guns?' but I will try to remain reasonable. Emotion is no basis for law making. The greed of the NRA is no argument for allowing the slaughter to continue.

Start simply at the beginning. Arming everyone with assault rifles such as M16s is beyond stupid, it kills many good civilians, there is no good reason to allow it, so ban it. You might be surprised at how many decent citizens there are in the US.
MWWSI 2017

FL/MAYO

Quote from: muppet on June 16, 2016, 07:37:43 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on June 16, 2016, 06:38:48 PM

It wouldn't be like banning the GAA as we don't have thousands of people being killed by the GAA every year. There is no comparison with US gun laws anywhere in the world. It kills people all the time, year after year, and yet people make up daft arguments against banning guns.

You, whether intentionally or not, are arguing point blank against gun control. This is completely illogical on so many levels so it is very difficult to keep the discussion reasonable. I could go into the hysterical equivalents I see on FaceBook such as 'drugs laws didn't work so why ban guns?' but I will try to remain reasonable. Emotion is no basis for law making. The greed of the NRA is no argument for allowing the slaughter to continue.

Start simply at the beginning. Arming everyone with assault rifles such as M16s is beyond stupid, it kills many good civilians, there is no good reason to allow it, so ban it. You might be surprised at how many decent citizens there are in the US.
[/b]

Most gun owners (NRA members among them) I know here are in favor of banning assault rifles and reasonable gun control, its the NRA and the the gun lobby that seem to have their heads stuck in the sand.

The Iceman

QuoteI agree no more assault rifles going forward - but cut them off at the manufacturer and seller level.... tighter restrictions on ownership, tests, proof of safe storage, proof of land to hunt (like in Ireland) and perhaps courses every 3 years or 5 years?

This is hardly me arguing against Gun Control.....

the reason I brought up banning the GAA is to describe the emotion attached  - not to compare the end result - I'm sure you can see the difference....

this problem won't be solved like it was in other countries.  It's part of the country's DNA whether you agree or not...

I'm certainly no advocate for Guns or the NRA.  I have a handgun for home defense and I'm trained in how to use it. I have a rifle for hunting and I'm trained in how to use it. I could have both in Ireland if I wanted with permits.