Kilkenny-Waterford Rivalry

Started by Angus, February 14, 2016, 09:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angus

It is very much apparent that Kilkenny have dominated Waterford in their past fixtures. But do you guys think Waterford can still redeem their glory later?  ;)

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on February 14, 2016, 03:57:09 PM
They went a bit of the way today

Stood up to Kilkenny on most areas, and still have plenty to come, would love to see them retain it and go little further this year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Kilkevan

Waterford's defence was good today, though the Kilkenny forwards were shockingly poor. Come the summer they will have made a massive improvement and it will be interesting to see how the Deise get on against forward lines which are more in form come the warmer months. I think the amount of wides Waterford hit will be a major concern for them, as I recall there was a similarity last season and it will cost them if they don't solve it.

ashman

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Angus on February 14, 2016, 09:51:33 AM
It is very much apparent that Kilkenny have dominated Waterford in their past fixtures. But do you guys think Waterford can still redeem their glory later?  ;)

You could substitute Waterford for any county. And I'd love if other teams redeemed their glory, sooner rather than later.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Asal Mor

Quote from: Kilkevan on February 14, 2016, 05:40:22 PM
Waterford's defence was good today, though the Kilkenny forwards were shockingly poor. Come the summer they will have made a massive improvement and it will be interesting to see how the Deise get on against forward lines which are more in form come the warmer months. I think the amount of wides Waterford hit will be a major concern for them, as I recall there was a similarity last season and it will cost them if they don't solve it.

They'll need to find a couple of forwards this year after losing Aylward and Richie Power. They can't be relying on TJ and Richie to be outstanding every time they go out. They have the Fennellys too but Colin has plenty of off days and you wouldn't be too worried about the likes of Walter Walsh, Mark Kelly and John Power. It's early days of course but the way Waterford dominated today gives everyone a bit more hope for the year ahead.

Galway were very impressive too and noticeably fired up. I think the fact that they ousted Cunningham puts them in a position where they have to deliver this year, and with loads of motivation and talent I'd be optimistic about them this year.

Dublin seem to be regressing badly under Ger Cunningham and after a couple of big players leaving the panel, I wouldn't be surprised if there's trouble brewing.

Bord na Mona man

Kilkenny would have hoped to win this one to keep Waterford under the hoof. I'd say they're a little bit uneasy about the strides Waterford have been making.

NAG1

Think it was interesting to compare the size of the two teams. Waterford looked the bigger stronger side in most areas of the field.

seafoid

Given the location in the hurling centre right between KK, Cork and Tipp I don't understand how the Deise only have 2 all Irelands
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Premier Emperor

Quote from: seafoid on March 22, 2016, 09:02:44 AM
Given the location in the hurling centre right between KK, Cork and Tipp I don't understand how the Deise only have 2 all Irelands
Because their neighbours are superior vastly hurling counties. You could ask the same about Carlow, Wexford, Clare, Galway...

From the Bunker

KK, Cork and Tipp have won 72% of All Irelands. In the old days before the back door Waterford would have had to beat more than likely all three to win an AI. KK on the other hand would have had to beat only one! Winning is a tradition and when you don't have a winning tradition it's hard to break into that mold.

Premier Emperor

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 22, 2016, 09:33:14 AM

KK, Cork and Tipp have won 72% of All Irelands. In the old days before the back door Waterford would have had to beat more than likely all three to win an AI. KK on the other hand would have had to beat only one! Winning is a tradition and when you don't have a winning tradition it's hard to break into that mold.
If there was a back door, there would have been a lot of Cork vs. Tipperary All Ireland finals. Kilkenny always had the luxury of a cakewalk in Leinster and they could show up fresh on All Ireland Sunday.

AZOffaly

Horseshite. Wexford gave them their fill of it for years, and Offaly regularly thumped them in the 80s and i90s. Kilkenny's cakewalk is a relatively recent phenomenon.

And for long periods you're talking about Clare were piss, Waterford weren't much better and it was basically a toss up between Cork and Tipp with Limerick showing flashes every 20 years or so. Tipp should have a pile more All Irelands really.