Humble Bernard Brogan

Started by Angus, October 09, 2015, 08:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angus

In an interview, Bernard Brogan claims that he did not expect that he would be nominated for the Footballer of the Year awards.

"Five years after I won one ... I probably didn't think I'd be back at that level again."

Will this humility brings him to the victory? What ya guys think?  ;)

bennydorano

I'm more concerned about the Fermanagh Minors management tbh

yellowcard

Beffs

Probably a lot less to do with humility, than a statement of fact. He didn't exactly set the world on fire last year, so I'd say that he is as surprised as everyone else, at the year that he has had.

From the Bunker

Leave the lad alone! You implying he's being Big headed?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 10, 2015, 12:03:18 AM
Leave the lad alone! You implying he's being Big headed?
Who? Bernard or Angus or maybe both.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

easytiger95

Since Berno came on the scene as a regular, about 2007 or so, he has been incredibly consistent. even on bad days he chips in with a score or two and on good days he is unplayable at full forward. This year he has been a real team player - unselfish, making space for others. Even the day of the final, when nothing was sticking for him personally, he still got 0-2, and two other Dublin points were set up directly from turnovers he engineered.

To paraphrase the Ronan Clarke thread, if he played for Kerry you'd never hear the end of him. Legend.

Syferus

Quote from: easytiger95 on October 10, 2015, 11:32:57 AM
Since Berno came on the scene as a regular, about 2007 or so, he has been incredibly consistent. even on bad days he chips in with a score or two and on good days he is unplayable at full forward. This year he has been a real team player - unselfish, making space for others. Even the day of the final, when nothing was sticking for him personally, he still got 0-2, and two other Dublin points were set up directly from turnovers he engineered.

To paraphrase the Ronan Clarke thread, if he played for Kerry you'd never hear the end of him. Legend.

He's from Dublin. We still don't hear the end of him.

easytiger95

I'd be talking about the kind of legendary status that guys like Dec O'Sullivan, the Gooch etc get accorded regularly. Berno i think is on a par with both of them in terms of influence he wields during a game, but it is rare enough that you'd see him get that respect. I think there is still a bit of the grudging "yerra he's only a fancy dan" thing going on.

Syferus

Quote from: easytiger95 on October 10, 2015, 12:44:15 PM
I'd be talking about the kind of legendary status that guys like Dec O'Sullivan, the Gooch etc get accorded regularly. Berno i think is on a par with both of them in terms of influence he wields during a game, but it is rare enough that you'd see him get that respect. I think there is still a bit of the grudging "yerra he's only a fancy dan" thing going on.

Never saw that. Everyone knows Brogan is a class forward. I think you're creating a straw man to attack there.

snoopdog

The year he won it he wasn't the best player that year. Marty Clarke was robbed.

easytiger95

Syf, maybe i'm a bit oversensitive, but if we're going to look back at the first half of this decade being Dublin's (which we probably will) then he is an absolute key man in Dublin's development. But if I was to compare him to say, Peter Canavan, people would have an absolute stroke, even though there are parallels. For instance, maybe Berno's biggest year was 2010 when he carried us to an All Ireland semi on his back (after us being taken to extra time by Wexford and hammered by Meath) breaking the hoodoo that Tyrone had over us on the way - whilst Canavan never had a better year than 95, ending on a losing team, but creating the foundations for what came after.

the point is when people discuss best forwards of the last 20/25 years, Berno is rarely in the discussion, but I think he absolutely should be, in terms of influence alone.

Snoop, I'm sure you'll see by the above, that good and all as Marty was that year (and he was at a really high standard) I don't think Berno robbed him.

Beffs

This is a GAA forum, is it not? BB is nominated for Player of The Year. Why is it strange to be discussing whether or not he will win the award, or just the player in general?

Agree 100% about the Kerry thing. If he was from Kerry, the likes of Spillane & Daragh O'Se etc would never shut up about him.

ONeill

Quote from: easytiger95 on October 10, 2015, 01:14:56 PM
. But if I was to compare him to say, Peter Canavan, people would have an absolute stroke, even though there are parallels. For instance, maybe Berno's biggest year was 2010 when he carried us to an All Ireland semi on his back (after us being taken to extra time by Wexford and hammered by Meath) breaking the hoodoo that Tyrone had over us on the way - whilst Canavan never had a better year than 95, ending on a losing team, but creating the foundations for what came after.

ojojihibed  erfjoremdwd,plwed kmrofmohedwmd wekmfd[iejfm'r3mfl3r f  whbdwehdbneokfm3
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.