Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: trileacman on March 05, 2018, 01:51:46 AM
Anyone else hate superhero films to the point where you refuse to watch even the well received ones?

Or is that just me?
Generally not a fan either, with the exception of the Nolan Batman ones and the Ironman series
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

maddog

"Get Out" is worth a watch. Not a horror as described in some reviews.

Syferus

Quote from: maddog on March 05, 2018, 03:19:23 PM

It is absolutely the most effective horror film I've seen in years.

Best film of 2017.

Taylor

Quote from: Syferus on March 05, 2018, 03:20:04 PM

Best film of 2017.

Seriously Syf?
I thought it was a load of shite and a desperate storyline.

Orchard park

Quote from: Taylor on March 05, 2018, 03:33:52 PM

Best film of 2017.

Seriously Syf?

sums up all horror movies in my book

tyroneman

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 04, 2018, 11:41:22 AM
Quote from: laoislad on March 03, 2018, 10:18:02 PM
Just finished watching LadyBird. There's an hour and a half of my life I'll never get back. Load of shite.

Looks shit. Tempted to watch the shape of water but could also be a waste of time.

Have to agree that LadyBird was awful. An hour and a half of meandering, unfunny dross. Typical Hollywood up it's own hole movie.

Syferus

Quote from: Taylor on March 05, 2018, 03:33:52 PM

Best film of 2017.

Seriously Syf?

It's one of the sharpest and most well-put together satires I've ever seen. It's genuinely in Dr Strangelove territory. If the Oscar voters weren't just a bunch of old white liberals (exactly whom Get Out lampoons) and it was judged on its merits alone it would have had a very good shot at winning Best Picture.

Because it is both a horror movie and a satire it starts most big award votes at minus 50 as both genres are the sorts of things chin-strokers never understand or fully appreciate.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: tyroneman on March 05, 2018, 03:43:42 PM
Just finished watching LadyBird. There's an hour and a half of my life I'll never get back. Load of shite.

Looks shit. Tempted to watch the shape of water but could also be a waste of time.

Have to agree that LadyBird was awful. An hour and a half of meandering, unfunny dross. Typical Hollywood up it's own hole movie.
Not just me then  :-\,I thought it was rubbish as well
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

nrico2006

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on March 05, 2018, 03:46:33 PM
Quote from: tyroneman on March 05, 2018, 03:43:42 PM

Not just me then  :-\,I thought it was rubbish as well

Shape of Water poor to average too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

The Iceman

Really enjoyed "Get Out" thought it was very well thought out..a great story that slowly brings you along...a real old school suspenseful thriller/horror
9/10
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Milltown Row2

Quote from: The Iceman on March 06, 2018, 12:31:22 PM
Really enjoyed "Get Out" thought it was very well thought out..a great story that slowly brings you along...a real old school suspenseful thriller/horror
9/10

Yeah I liked it to, though I'm nearly sure I seen it on Netflix last year, as very rarely would i use the computer to get films
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I thought shape of water was excellent. The bad guy in it was seriously good at the bad guy role- you end up really hating him. Strange show alright but i thought it was good. Surprisingly funny in places.

The Iceman

Is the lead actress in the shape of water sick? She didn't look well at all at the Oscars and I looked her up online and she had more weight on her years ago.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

nrico2006

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 06, 2018, 09:03:02 PM
I thought shape of water was excellent. The bad guy in it was seriously good at the bad guy role- you end up really hating him. Strange show alright but i thought it was good. Surprisingly funny in places.

Michael Shannon is one of the best actors in Hollywood. He was brilliant as the bad guy as such in Boardwalk Empire too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Syferus

Watched I, Tonya. Strange film. The mockumentary style seems somewhat at odds with the subject matter and I can see a straighter take delivering a significantly more impactful film as it has some incredible elements in the story.

The CG face mapping they do during skating scenes is piss-poor and really distracting. It was less distracting when it was just the stunt performer in a wig doing action scenes rather than everyone thinking they can get away with this stuff. It makes me appreciate Rogue One more in that they pulled it off much more effectively than many of these other ham-fisted attempts.

The mother may have been horrible but she is such an utterly comical chariature here it's hard to take her seriously, and coming off the back of Lady Bird which shows a much more human version of an over-bearing and critical mother makes I, Tonya pale even more in comparison.

It also seems to be a film that has an uneasy relationship with the working class, in many places using them only as the butt of a joke rather than making them feel like real people. All this despite this essentially recounting real life events.

Margot Robbie is wonderful in the lead role and it's a pity her performance feels wasted in a film that would have been better if it leaned into the drama more than the comedy.