NFL DIV 3 FINAL..ROSCOMMON v CAVAN

Started by Shrewdness, April 14, 2014, 09:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old yeller

Quote from: Itchy on April 26, 2014, 10:24:21 PM
Congrats to Ros. They won because they could kick a score. Our full forward line was an embarrassment today. I don't know what Martin Dunne had to do to get taken off as he missed 1-6 today and all scorable. Keating can't see anyone else on his team, he has extremely poor peripheral vision. And can anyone tell me why Niall McDermott was tapping over a point with 20s left when a goal was needed? Indeed some of Cavans decision making was a joke, Alan Clarke playing suicide balls and Mackey too. It was a shocking display, I can only hope its a kick up the hole that they need before the Armagh match.

Take a chill pill there Itchy. "he has extremely poor peripheral vision"? He is probably the best forward we have, one bad day doesnt change that. A bit too quick to run them down lad. We all said that our main aim for the year was to get promoted and, while im as gutted as everyone else that we didnt win today, we have achieved that aim. Congratulations to Roscommon and best of luck I  the championship,  I hope we get another crack at ye in the summer!

INDIANA

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 26, 2014, 11:32:56 PM
Congrats to the Rossies. Looked like they wanted it considerably more.

Couldn't believe how wasteful Cavan were.

Cavan need to throw off the shackles. A tonne of fine players on that team. Should have pushed home the advantage in the first half when they had Rocmommon beaten all ends up instead of stopping turning around and waiting for Roscommon to come back at them.

Fair play to Roscommon play a good style of football and have forwards who can score. But they need to get more pace into that team. Their 21's should provide that because some of their players around the middle are one paced.

Old yeller

Quote from: Syferus on April 26, 2014, 10:12:18 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 26, 2014, 10:09:16 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 26, 2014, 07:47:42 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 26, 2014, 07:34:12 PM
Nicely measured goal. Was it intended?

Absolutely. Keenan is a man for fisting it over the bar from that range anyways and he would have put much more power on it were it an attempt at a point.

Would you go away outta that!
100% mis-kick.

Nope.
Fluke of the year, how the hell can ya try and claim that ffs!

Old yeller

Quote from: babarino on April 26, 2014, 08:36:48 PM
Cavan had a five minute period in the 2nd half where they missed a succession of sitters. The class isn't there

Better team won.
Go and f**k yourself

Syferus

Quote from: Old yeller on April 26, 2014, 11:47:56 PM

Absolutely. Keenan is a man for fisting it over the bar from that range anyways and he would have put much more power on it were it an attempt at a point.

100% mis-kick.

Nope.

He lobbed the keeper who deciding to go dancing with the fairies outside his box. The only luck was that he actually pulled it off.

Old yeller

Quote from: Syferus on April 26, 2014, 11:54:21 PM
Quote from: Old yeller on April 26, 2014, 11:47:56 PM

100% mis-kick.

Nope.

He lobbed the keeper who deciding to go dancing with the fairies outside his box. The only luck was that he actually pulled it off.
Fair enough, I guess we'll never know

CC1

Well done to Roscommon, they took their scores very well and punished Cavan's lack of clinical finishing in front of goal.

From a Cavan view I'm very disappointed with the result, I thought for all of our faults we had most of the play and if we had been in any way decisive in front of goal we would have been comfortable winners. Not the case unfortunately and we we're let down by some poor decision making (saw Micheal Lyng completely free on a couple of occasions and players under pressure kicked wide).

I also thought that Clarke should have started, by far our best defender and it was obvious today that he should have been played from the start. Another decision that cost us was the one to keep Argue/Givney on the bench in Killian Brady's place at midfield. Killian Brady is a good player but he's not a midfielder. It was when Argue came on that we steadied the ship and when Givney came on even more so (apart from a couple of passes that went astray). I think that the lack of a big midfield cost us today as we were coasting in the first half until Roscommon copped on to the weakness at number 9 and in fairness to them they exploited it. I'm just disappointed that something so obvious wasn't dealt with sooner.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

rodney trotter

The managment weren't going to pack the team with u21's, that was said during the week. Losing an All Ireland Semi by a point was disapointing and those players probaly weren't mentally ready to start a League final. Clarke would start any other dayl so it no big issue that he didn't start today. Roscommon didn't have any U21 players involved cant really use it as much of an excuse.
Midfield was a problem area, but we created plenty of chances and had the chance to win.

Westside

As it did last week, lack of quality forwards lost us that game. We kicked it away considering we had such a good lead at one stage. Killian Brady is a game lad but was exposed big time today. Thought McEnroe was extremely poor and how Keating was left on for so long was a mystery to me. Jack Brady, a nice player but doesn't have the the pace and power required. Alan Clarke also looked limited and Givney looked his usual self when he entered the fray, no real impact on the game. The multiple shots from Gearoid, McDermott, Keating and Dunne midway through the second half should have been seeing us clear, all very scorable, instead they were all kicked wide and Roscommon punished us.

Fair play to Roscommon, made the most of their chances and deserved to win. Congratulations to them.

From a Cavan perspective we can see the limitations in Jack, Dunne and Keating, Killian Brady and Alan Clarke. We may have replacements for 3 of those but as for inside forwards there are very limited options for the foreseeable future. Unless we get one of the odd good days out of Keating and Dunne we won't beat Armagh.

Shrewdness

Well done Roscommon. They showed great character to come back from a very bad start. When Cavan led 0-7 to 0-2, and with a missed penalty, it looked curtains. Our approach play was good, but there were some terrible wides kicked, when shots were rushed. I've never seen Cregg kick so many wides in a game. The goal gave us a lifeline just before half time. Thought Ros were the better team in the second half, with some great points landed. John Evans is putting his stamp on that team. Thought the support play and fitness levels looked good throughout. The team look strong physically. Good spirit in the camp too which is crucial. Cavan have some good players and can still have a good year.

Shamrock Shore

Tuned into Hegarty for last 20 mins on Shiteside.

The man was in top form. During a small break in play he eulogised some woman's buns and cakes and then when Ros were beginning to look like winners he came up with this.

Roscommon last won a National Title in 1979
Pope John Paul II came to Ireland in 1979

ok so far!

Pope John Paul to be canonised tomorrow (i.e. Sunday)
ergo Ros had to be the winners.

no other outcome was possible.

Calm down Willie, it's not the actual National League title (listening to him you'd swear it was.

That said congrats to Roscommon and hard luck Cavan.

Denn Forever

Well done Roscommon.  After a slow start, they were blessed with their goal. Their No 5 had a great game and always looked dangerous.

Thanks lads  for a great year so far and  looking forward to the summer.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Rossfan

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 27, 2014, 08:37:29 AM
Well done Roscommon. They showed great character to come back from a very bad start. When Cavan led 0-7 to 0-2, and with a missed penalty, it looked curtains. Our approach play was good, but there were some terrible wides kicked, when shots were rushed. I've never seen Cregg kick so many wides in a game. The goal gave us a lifeline just before half time. Thought Ros were the better team in the second half, with some great points landed. John Evans is putting his stamp on that team. Thought the support play and fitness levels looked good throughout. The team look strong physically. Good spirit in the camp too which is crucial.
Good summing up there Shrewdness.
Once we got into the game we outscored Cavan 1-15 to 0-11 over the last 50/55 mins or so. We did it with only 1 point coming from 4 of the starting forwards (DO'G) and  Cregg having a stinker. A few others didn't have their best days while the old problem of people running direct at us still remains. Great save by O'Malley from the pen and as for Keenan's goal......!!!! ::) we'll let Syfín continue to slobber about that.( Hope you and Daddy enjoyed the Premium Section :D)
Great spirit in the camp these days and it was good to meet a few of the U21s there.
As the ClubRossie says "The best is yet to come" (hopefully).
Meanwhile congrats to Johneen and the lads on a successful NFL campaign and now let thoughts turn to our neighbours to the North East of us who will be keen to lower our colours.
Hopefully the 2 Smiths, D Murtagh and C Daly will come through the U21 final safely and successfully to strengthen the team and we'll be ready for a long Summer campaign.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rossfan

Quote from: muppet on April 26, 2014, 11:14:44 PM
What are people's thoughts on McDermott's 'tackle' on the Cavan man running through at the end.

Cavan obviously needed a goal and the attempted tackle didn't resemble anything in the rules. But he only got a yellow and if I were a Rossie (or any team in the situation) I would have been very happy with him afterwards.

I don't mean to have a go at that particular player, but according to Croke Park, Eugene Magee, Joe Brolly and random statistics, we are now saved from cynical fouling.
Please address your queries to Sean Hurson c/o Tyrone GAA. He was the Ref and it was his decision.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Shrewdness

Rossfan, any chance that you could persuade the Ballagh Rossies to put up a few flags before next Saturday. The recent 'Club Rossie' event in Ballagh was well supported, so even though it's an U-21 final, it's a rare chance for the Ballagh Rossies to nail their colours to the mast for an All Ireland Final.