Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxcommander

If he ever visits Carlow he might reconsider.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

give her dixie

Quote from: foxcommander on March 27, 2015, 06:52:18 PM

There's a  good chance Foxcommander that he thought he was to be based in Monte Carlo
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

foxcommander

Quote from: give her dixie on March 27, 2015, 07:13:04 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on March 27, 2015, 06:52:18 PM

There's a  good chance Foxcommander that he thought he was to be based in Monte Carlo

There's a slight difference in the two...
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Boycey

This conversation is now going on in two threads..

I thought it was a great piece if a little sad, for someone to have so much but to still seem a little unsure of themselves and where they belong.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: AQMP on January 09, 2017, 12:51:57 PM
McIlroy blaming the Olympics for putting him in an "awkward" spot is frankly ridiculous.  Had he never seen it before??  He may not feel any allegiance to the Tricolour or the Union Jack but in the past he's been happy to drape himself in the sectarian Ulster Banner.  If he feels "Northern Irish" why didn't he represent Great Britain & NI??
Probably because he'd be criticised by lads like you

I can see his point, damned either way. I think its fair enough for him to say he's not Irish and he's not british. Dick Clerkin made an interesting point on OTB yesterday when he said he (Clerkin) could offend people by admiring what McIlroy is saying and how ridiculous that was
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Frank_The_Tank

He would have got stick from people if he had played for GB & NI.  He also would have got stick from people if he had played for Ireland.  Why bother listening to that and just not play - seems like a good option to me.  Granted it was stupid then to declare for Ireland - he should have just said from the outset he wasn't playing in them.  IMO sports like Golf/Tennis in the Olympics anyway but that's another argument.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Applesisapples

This is just a PR piece from him trying to keep all sides on board.

Fuzzman

JoG2

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 09, 2017, 02:21:37 PM

this is what it all boils down to, sides, them and us. And someone above thought the piece was 'a little sad' as McIlroy doesn't seem to know where he belongs. The north in a nutshell, labels and flags, flags and labels, oh, and sides. Sides, labels and flags

Though none would admit, I'd say the fact he is a catholic who's played GAA irks a few on here

Applesisapples

Quote from: JoG2 on January 09, 2017, 02:42:35 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 09, 2017, 02:21:37 PM

this is what it all boils down to, sides, them and us. And someone above thought the piece was 'a little sad' as McIlroy doesn't seem to know where he belongs. The north in a nutshell, labels and flags, flags and labels, oh, and sides. Sides, labels and flags

Though none would admit, I'd say the fact he is a catholic who's played GAA irks a few on here
It's sad for McIlroy that he doesn't know what he is, you can be proud of your own background whilst embracing others.

Puckoon

Only if his identity is linked to flags, emblems and so on. He appears to know exactly who he is, but his parameters of belonging aren't parameters that some can wrap their heads around.