Fairplay to Carrickmacross Councilors removing Isreali ambassador's signature

Started by SuperMac, March 07, 2010, 07:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

Matt Carthy

On Wednesday 27th January I received a phone call from a senior council official. He wanted to know what I would think of the council hosting a reception for the Israeli Ambassador to Ireland, at his request. "I think you know what my reaction would be" I replied "I would oppose it and if it were to happen we would mount a protest." I took it from his response that it wouldn't be happening.

Then, at the close of business on Thursday 28th January I received another call from the council - this time to invite me to a civic reception for the said ambassador, Zion Evrony, first thing the next morning.

That sounds to me like the council deliberately made any objection difficult. The result from the motion to remove the page would indicate that the council opposed the invite.

Fair play to SF for organising a protest of 20 people for that morning after only having from the close of business the day before.

Whether he was invited or not is debatable. For me welcoming him and asking him to sign an official guest book amounts to the same thing as an invite.

A FF cllr also voted for the motion.

Main Street

Would the reactionary have the same attitude to a visit from the US ambassador?
I have little doubt that same objectors would be lining up to grovel and lick the Iraqi blood of his boots.

A visiting ambassador from a sovereign nation should be treated with due respect and the hospitality the place has to offer.

Zapatista

Quote from: Main Street on March 08, 2010, 12:29:12 PM
Would the reactionary have the same attitude to a visit from the US ambassador?
I have little doubt that same objectors would be lining up to grovel and lick the Iraqi blood of his boots.

A visiting ambassador from a sovereign nation should be treated with due respect and the hospitality the place has to offer.

He was treated with the respect due to him.

bingobus

Quote from: Zapatista on March 08, 2010, 10:21:31 AM
Matt Carthy

On Wednesday 27th January I received a phone call from a senior council official. He wanted to know what I would think of the council hosting a reception for the Israeli Ambassador to Ireland, at his request. "I think you know what my reaction would be" I replied "I would oppose it and if it were to happen we would mount a protest." I took it from his response that it wouldn't be happening.

Then, at the close of business on Thursday 28th January I received another call from the council - this time to invite me to a civic reception for the said ambassador, Zion Evrony, first thing the next morning.

That sounds to me like the council deliberately made any objection difficult. The result from the motion to remove the page would indicate that the council opposed the invite.

Fair play to SF for organising a protest of 20 people for that morning after only having from the close of business the day before.
Whether he was invited or not is debatable. For me welcoming him and asking him to sign an official guest book amounts to the same thing as an invite.

A FF cllr also voted for the motion.

Yes indeed, they must have all understanding bosses who let them off work   ;D  ;D

Zapatista

give her dixie

Main Street, we dont need to have US boots to lick Iraq blood off. The boots of the Irish Government are coverered with Iraq blood since they allow the US killing machines to re fuel in Shannon.

As far as i'm concerned, i'm proud of what these councillor's have done, and i'm also disgusted with Michael Martin who was more annoyed over this than he was with Israel stealing and abusing Irish passports.

On another note, how do people feel about Cement Roadstone Holdings (CRH Plc) supplying cement to the building of the illegal apartheid wall in the West bank in Palestine? Should they be subject to a boycott?

http://www.ipsc.ie/crhdivest/index.html

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

muppet

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 08, 2010, 12:37:17 AM
Quote from: deiseach on March 08, 2010, 12:33:24 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 08, 2010, 12:30:02 AMActually just wondering what would the pair of you do?

Nothing. A guestbook was signed, leave it signed.

So just let Israel and Mossad take the piss out of our Nation?

Other secret services have faked Irish passports. Will the Councillors treat dignitaries from those countries the same?

MWWSI 2017

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: muppet on March 08, 2010, 03:31:35 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 08, 2010, 12:30:02 AMActually just wondering what would the pair of you do?

Other secret services have faked Irish passports. Will the Councillors treat dignitaries from those countries the same?

Who and when?
Tbc....

muppet

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 08, 2010, 03:33:30 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 08, 2010, 03:31:35 PM

Who and when?

It's a Secret.
MWWSI 2017

SuperMac

Quote from: give her dixie on March 08, 2010, 01:36:32 AM
I think it was a brave decision and I support them for doing this.

People might think this was a stupid thing to do, or pettty, however, this news spread
across the world through the internet, and made the news in every major newspaper in Israel.
It has sent out a message to Israel that the world will not forgive them for their treatment
of the Palestinians, and what they did in Gaza last year.

Today marks the 1,000th day of the illegal siege on Gaza. It's time that Governements in the west
stopped bowing down to Israel/US pressure and take a stand like the councillor's in Carrickmacross
did. This siege has to end, for the sake of humanity.

Yes indeed it is a brave decision. I'm sure their were plenty of dickhead's with stupid comments about the Dunnes stores workers who picketed their shop in Dublin and brought world wide attention to Dunnes importing South African food. However small, the Carrickmacross councilors who took out his siganture did more for the grossly mistreated Palestinan's or any other mistreated people than most of you ever did in your life.

And as for the Zionists making jibes at the country about Father Ted etc, I suppose if Irish public officals made some jibes about a ficticious Rabbi and poor little Isreal we'd never hear the endless calls of  " anti Semitism.....anti Semitism.....anti Semitism "  ::)

Main Street

The Father Ted comparison is rather weak to encapsulate  such an absurdity, only 'Halls Pictorial Weekly' could do this absurdity any justice.

I have no doubt about the bravery of the Carrick page rippers and that indeed it will go down in the annals alongside the Dunnes Stores picket, international recognition of this bravery will surely follow. 

What can we say about Martin McGuinness?
What shall we do with Martin's hand, the hand that dare shook the hand of the other ambassador of Israel, His Excellency Ron Prosor.

Zapatista

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 07, 2010, 08:14:48 PM
Considering their actions in Gaza last year and the Passport scandel/murder of Mahmud al-Mabhuh and the fact that they murdered Jesus ( ;)), ripping a page out of a book is the least that could be done to them!

The Romans executed Big JC.....now, you know that, GDA. The Jews' form of execution was stoning, until they got their hands on a few rocket launchers and uranium.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Rav67

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 08, 2010, 12:30:02 AM
Quote from: deiseach on March 07, 2010, 11:30:42 PM
Quote from: Rav67 on March 07, 2010, 11:19:58 PM
Certainly not pro-Israeli myself but this is the sorta nonsense schoolchildren would be at.  Hardly the way to make a point about Israeli aggression.

+1

Actually just wondering what would the pair of you do?

+1

A council motion condeming Israel's inertia and lack of openness with Ireland in relation to the passport scandal would surely suffice, rather than such juvenile stupidity as tearing a page from a book.

Nally Stand

Rav67 do you think that a council motion expressing disappointment would have made world news and the news in every daily paper in Israel? Get real. This was a symbolic gesture and as such caught people's attention in a way a run of the mill council vote never could.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore